Acer Veriton M46306 Desktop booting and freezing problems with Windows 10

Options
PHB
PHB Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
My desktop purchased in the summer of 2014 from Costco came with Windows 7; I later upgraded to Windows 10, and for some reason since February, the computer has frozen and even worse, I have had nightmare problems getting it to boot up.  I purchased a plan with Answers By and they have been some help, but the problems continue intermittently.  Does anyone truly know whether this particular Acer model is compatible with Windows 10?  Some of these tech guys from Answers By seen to think not, but to go back to Windows 7, I will lose a bunch of programs.  Gets pretty frustrating, because this computer is loaded with programs I need for work, and the computer itself has great memory, storage space etc.  

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    PHB 
    If you model number is Acer Veriton M4630 Desktop, it should be compatible with windows 10, The drivers for windows 10 are available at Acer support website : https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/4919;-;

Please try the below mentioned steps and check the issue.
    >>Run a Memory Check
    Run "mdsched.exe" and hit "OK".
    Click "Restart now and check for problems (recommended)" to check for problems immediately. If you want to check later, click "Check for problems the next time I start my computer".
    Windows will then restart, and you'll see this page showing the progress of the check and the number of passes it will run on memory.

>>Adjust Virtual Memory
    Right-click "This PC" and choose "Properties". Then select "Advanced system settings" from the left panel.
    Go to "Advanced" tab and click "Settings".
    Go to "Advanced" tab again and choose "Change…" under Virtual memory section.
    Ensure the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is NOT checked. Then select the partition that has Windows installed (usually, it is C:) and enter an Initial size and Maximum size for your virtual memory:
    Initial size: This value varies on different computers. If you're not sure what value to use, just enter the recommended size.
    Maximum size: Don't set this value too high. It is recommended to enter 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM.
    Once you've configured your virtual memory values, click "Set" and then "OK" to continue.

>>Turn Off Link State Power Management
    Link State Power Management is a power saving mechanism. It is said that disabling Link State Power Management is effective in Windows 10 freezing fix 
    Press Win + R keys to open the Run box. Type "powercfg.cpl" and then hit "OK". Find your power plan and then click "Change plan settings".
    Choose "Change advanced power settings".
    Locate the "PCI Express" category and then expand it, change the setting of "Link State Power Management" to "Off".
    Click "OK" and then "Apply".

>>Turn Off Fast Startup
    Press Win + R keys to call out the Run box. Then input "powercfg.cpl" and click "OK".
    Click on "Choose what the power button does" in the left pane of the window. Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable".
    Uncheck the checkbox beside "Turn on Fast Startup (recommended)" to disable it. Finally, click on "Save changes".
    Reset the Winsock Catalog. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and allow its changes on this PC.
    Type "netsh winsock reset" and press Enter. Reboot your Windows 10 PC and check.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!