shut off log in pin etc?

turbopete
turbopete Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
edited March 18 in 2018 Archives
ive just updated a laptop for someone and dont want them to have to use a pin/password or anything to get them logged in (my own machine i didnt set up but i can log on with just a mouse click or hit enter on the keyboard) so how do i change the set up from that set up needing a pin to the set up i have? will i need to reinstall using a local account instead?

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    turbopete 
    Please try the below mentioned steps to remove the windows login/lock screen password.
    Removing the Windows password login in User Accounts
    Type netplwiz in the Start menu search bar, then click the top result to run the command
    Untick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit 'Apply'
    Enter your username and password, then re-enter your password. Click 'OK'
    Click 'OK' again to save the changes
    To reactivate Windows password login just return to this settings menu and tick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

A prime reason why Microsoft requires users to log into their computers in recent years is that your account is linked to an online Microsoft account. That password you use on your PC is the same one you can use to log into your online Microsoft account.
    But unlink the two and you will be able to disable the password for your PC, at least with Windows 10. If you don’t want to type in a password at home, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows button and “I” to open the Windows settings
    Find and press “Accounts”
    Select “Sign in with a local account instead”
    It will ask for your current password, so type that in and hit next
    In the next window, it’ll ask you to type in a password and also “Reenter password.” Don’t type a thing. Just hit “Next.”
    Follow the instructions to “Sign out and finish” and now the next time you reboot your PC, you won’t need to type in a password.
    However, if you try to use certain apps or other features linked to your online Microsoft persona, you may need to link your offline and online worlds again.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• christy1
    christy1 Member Posts: 1,619 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Hi @turbopete,

So from my understand,you have already setup a pin for your frds login and you want to remove the pin. am i correct? if so is it a local account or a microsoft account. 
    Accept if its Helpful.   B)
  • Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    turbopete 
    Please try the below mentioned steps to remove the windows login/lock screen password.
    Removing the Windows password login in User Accounts
    Type netplwiz in the Start menu search bar, then click the top result to run the command
    Untick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' and hit 'Apply'
    Enter your username and password, then re-enter your password. Click 'OK'
    Click 'OK' again to save the changes
    To reactivate Windows password login just return to this settings menu and tick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

A prime reason why Microsoft requires users to log into their computers in recent years is that your account is linked to an online Microsoft account. That password you use on your PC is the same one you can use to log into your online Microsoft account.
    But unlink the two and you will be able to disable the password for your PC, at least with Windows 10. If you don’t want to type in a password at home, follow these steps:
    Press the Windows button and “I” to open the Windows settings
    Find and press “Accounts”
    Select “Sign in with a local account instead”
    It will ask for your current password, so type that in and hit next
    In the next window, it’ll ask you to type in a password and also “Reenter password.” Don’t type a thing. Just hit “Next.”
    Follow the instructions to “Sign out and finish” and now the next time you reboot your PC, you won’t need to type in a password.
    However, if you try to use certain apps or other features linked to your online Microsoft persona, you may need to link your offline and online worlds again.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!