Laptop not recognizing phone when connected via USB

ashwinr136
ashwinr136 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 22 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone,

I recently bought a Swift 3 SF315-52g, and I want to transfer some files from my Samsung Galaxy S7 to the laptop. However, when I tried connecting my phone to the laptop via USB (like I have done with my old Dell for years), the laptop does not even recognize the phone being plugged in. The phone gets charged, but there is no indication on the laptop that a phone is connected. I tried every USB port on my laptop, but no luck.

Device Manager should refresh when a new device is connected through the port. It does not refresh when I plug in my phone.

I chatted with Acer and called their support and they were not able to help me (and in the second case, said I would have to pay $199 for extended support to fix this. WTF?). I know it is not a problem with the cable, as I tried plugging in my phone to a school computer (I am in college) and it worked like a charm. It recognized my phone and I was able to open up the device.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Acer support was no help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited September 2018
    on your samsung it automatically goes for the charging option (for some reason on your laptop - i have the same) rather than data transfer so that'll need to be changed (happens with android).  when you plug it in, drop down box on the phone to use usb to transfer files etc instead (or thats the way it is on my Moto).    There's a cracking android app called KDE connect that can be installed on Windows too for transfer over your wi-fi rather than using a cable.  Here's a ***** video from youtube about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8ScqK-xiE&t=36s
  • TECH_MAN
    TECH_MAN Ally Posts: 453
    Hi @ashwinr136

Connect Android to Computer as MTP to Fix Charging Only Problem. Android device can be connected as Media device (MTP), Camera (PTP),USB flash drive, Charge only, etc. ... Go to Settings> Storage> More (three dots menu)> USB computer connection, choose Media device (MTP)

Or 
    Follow this Link->https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-doesnt-recognize-android/
    Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!