Predator 17 brightness stuck on max -- cant adjust with fn keys or power settings

dannyz
dannyz Member Posts: 10 New User
Hey guys

My predator 17s brightness is stuck on max and is too bright and hurting my eyes. I am currently unable to adjust the brightness even though the Fn+left or Fn+right keys adjust the brightness bar setting. Ive also tried adjusting it through power settings on the laptop. 

Ive investigated online through various forums and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Geforce 1070 drivers and updating them and also the Generic PnP monitor but to no avail. 

Ive also just performed a full factory reset in the hopes that it would work again. Nothing has worked at this stage. 

Could anyone shed some light?

I suspect the backlight motor has seized or is stuck. Does anyone know where it is located on the laptop so maybe I could give it a tap or something haha. 

I called acer and they were little help, they suggested to have the laptop sent in and replaced. I have only JUST lapsed my 1 year warranty and they want me to pay upward of $300.

It has never had a fall or any damage so im just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or experienced it with other laptops.

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• What is the exact model of the notebook? What happens if you uninstall and delete the intel and nvidia drivers and leaving only the default windows driver? Does the brightness work again with the default windows driver?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dannyz
    thanks for your swift reply!!
    it is a G9-793-78VR 

I tried uninstalling the nvidia drivers again just then to see what happens and it turns into a low resolution display and says video controller on device manager and then after 20 seconds it reinstalls the nvidia GTX 1070 driver version 24.21.13.9907. Whilst in the low resolution display under "video controller" the fn keys did not even bring up the brightness adjustment bars and the power options in the battery setting of the task bar didn't change the brightness of the screen.
  • Are there any drivers with device manager issues? Is Acer quick access installed? If you deactivate the program brightness functions!

Try updating the video driver on nvidia.com and switch to high performance power settings!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dannyz
    I have updated the video driver before to the current driver which was released not too long ago but with no difference. I also created a new power setting profile with success either! 

At the moment the video driver has been uninstalled as you had suggested, but I downloaded the version provided on the acer web page to see if the backdated version would help. None work.

Acer quick access menus show no brightness adjustment disabling options either! thank you for your suggestions thus far though!

Would like any more feedback if anyone has any other ideas

• Can you hit a photo with the values of this key? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• The problem is probably in this key:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dannyz
    Im not sure how to access this menu. what program is that?
  • press windows + r and type regedit! Then navigate to this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} and hit a photo!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dannyz
    theres it is!
  • dannyz
    woops sorry ill do it again
  • dannyz
    this is my version of your first one
  • Right! First make a backup of regedit by clicking on file and then select export:

Then change the key to FeatureTestControl and put the value data in ffff and restart:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dannyz
    I don't have FeatureTestControl on my image. Where can I find it?

• dannyz
    I changed settings for FeatureControl and changed the number to ffff and restarted. Nothing changed! still cant change the screen brightness
  • Try changing the name FeatureControl to FeatureTestControl and then type ffff! If it still does not work, leave the key with the name FeatureTestControl and test with 0x00000200, which is the original key numbering!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• dannyz
    Tried both and resetted the computer with no solution =(
  • Right! Now try to uninstall and delete both the nvidia and intel video driver and reboot! Leave both with the default driver for windows 10!

If it still does not work, download the two drivers directly from the Acer website as they are optimized for your notebook: https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/6965?b=1
    If it still does not work, go to intel's website (www.intel.com) and nvidia's website (www.nvidia.com) and check for a newer driver, as I'm finding there is some incompatibility between the video drivers and the 1803 version of windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Arbuusia
    Arbuusia Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi

I have been having the same problem for a couple of months now. I have tried everything and kind a gave up. I was just wondering if the op ever found solution?
    And if you guys have any other ideas please let me know. I was thinking if chancing the panel could work.
  • Have you checked for a function called function key behavior in bios? what is the bios version?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Ze_nasc
    Ze_nasc Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello to all, I had the same problem with my acer predator triton 300, and I had solve the issue by unistalling the monitor driver and let windows install the PnP Genéric driver.

This will activate all the brightness option.

Hope this help.

Cheers.