w10 v1803

novice_v
novice_v Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

w10 Home v1803 update won't install on my Acer notebook ES1-521-68Y6.

It keeps downloading, then installing, only to fail, and computer resets to old version w10.

Acer service advised disable auto updates and wait for v1900 it might install in October.

Comments

• novice_v 
    I see that some models of ES1-521 are listed as being suitable for Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Build 1803) in Acer website. 
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/windows10-april-2018-update
    >>You can manually check for the update by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and see if it’s waiting there for you. if you don’t want to wait you can get it now. 
    Head to the Windows 10 Download page. Click on the “Update now” button to download the Upgrade Assistant tool. From the download page, click “Update Now” to use the Update Assistant to walk you through the upgrade. The second option is for creating install media on a drive or disc. The Update Assistant will walk you through the upgrade process but keep in mind it will take some time and your system will restart several times.

>>Run these Commands to Resolve Any System Integrity Issues
    Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin) then type each command then hit Enter on your keyboard.
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

To prevent windows update from installing automatically, follow this step: 
    You can set your Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection as metered, which limits how the OS access and uses an internet connection, and when enabled, updates won’t download automatically to your PC.
    If you want to set a wireless network connection as metered, do the following:
    Open Settings > Click on Network & Internet >Click on Wi-Fi >Click on the Wi-Fi connection to access its settings.
    Turn on the Set as metered connection toggle switch to enable and restrict background data usage.
    >>Do the same for Ethernet connection.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • novice_v

Tinkerer

Thanks for your reply. W10 v1803 downloaded over 30 times, tried to install, failed, then laptop automatically reset back to factory w10 v1511 every time. Pc froze,  I sent to acer service, they re_imaged for a price, then pc tried another 20 times to install update, all fails, pc froze again, so I now either throw it out or send back to acer and waste more money. I don't think I will ever buy another acer brand, may try Asus or hp, not happy! Pc was
    built in 2016 i bought it in 2017 it only worked for about 15 months!
  • Hello @novice_v! Make sure that doing a disk cleanup as an administrator solves the problem!

Then try this: go to settings, update and security, troubleshooting, windows update!

If it still does not work, try restarting the windows update service! To do this, press windows + r and type services.msc!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • novice_v

Tinkerer

Thank You  Sharanji & egydiocoelho  I am trying everything you both suggest, I hope I can eventually get update v1803 to install, all previous updates from v1511 have installed ok. Thank you for you advice and encouragement, its very frustrating when an update refuse to install.

• novice_v

Tinkerer

W10 v1803 still wont install on my Acer Aspire Laptop ES1-521.

Bought Laptop new in 2017 it had w10 v1511.

It Auto Updated to w10 v1700 no problem.

It downloaded w10 v1803 tried to install, failed about 30 times eventually freezing laptop, no reset, no restore, no nothing!

Sent laptop to Acer who re-imaged back to factory settings w10 v1511 for a price.

Laptop then continued to try to install w10 v1803 again, about 20 times, all attempts fail, no reset, no restore, just a frozen PC that does nothing!

This was my first ever laptop, have only ever had HP Desktops before, my HPDesktop is up to w10 v1809 and waiting for w10 v1903 no problem.

I could keep sending Laptop back to Acer Service for re-imaging but that does not solve the problem!

The suggestion from Acer Service that I wait for w10 v1903 to issue is ok, as long as MS does not try to push v1803 on me first, not sure if I can skip v1803?

• I helped a user who had a similar problem to install the October 1809 version! However what I advised him to do before attempting to update through windows update was as follows:
    a) you must first backup all files as a precaution;
    b) do a disk cleanup as administrator:

c) Download the driverbooster program and update all notebook drivers!
    d) leave the system protection enabled:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • novice_v

Tinkerer

Thanks for reply egydiocoelho appreciated.

I will try to get the machine working with a standard recover disk.

Then do what you suggest, cleanup & update drivers.

Problem then is auto updates probably will still continue to try to install v1803 and not v1809.

I may need to just download v1809 and try to manually install it. Hardware (Motherboard) should still hold my digital key.

If I can’t get either v1803 or v1809 installed, I think I will wipe the entire HDD, then it wont be an Acer Laptop anymore, no recovery partition of Acer Software.

Then put a clean install of v1809 or v1903 on the machine.

v1803 is a real Laptop Killer, many comments on the internet often on 64bit 16GB+ RAM machines, which is what I have?

Anyway MS update servers are now sending out v1809 to everyone except people like me on EOL (End Of Line) v1511, they give me a bunch of little v1511 updates then try to push v1803, which never installs, so something is wrong, MS should just turn v1803 update off and push v1809 out.

• Here is the direct link to the download: http://fg.ds.b1.download.windowsupdate.com/d/Upgr/2018/03/17133.1.180323-1312.rs4_release_clientbusiness_vol_x64fre_en-us_b29e04378851530e9321e0a779f1ee9f6562694c.esd
    If it still is not possible, you may need to upgrade to version 1803 before!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• https://www.baboo.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/esd-decrypter-wimlib-37.zip
    See this site in Portuguese that teaches you how to do this update! just use google translate!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• novice_v

Tinkerer

Thank You for links egydiocoelho.

I used Driver Booster, it found 16 not Latest drivers dated 2015 and updated them to 2018 drivers.

Obrigado por links egydiocoelho.

Eu usei Driver Booster, ele encontrou 16 drivers não mais recentes datado de 2015 e atualizou-os para 2018 drivers.

• Let us know if you could upgrade windows!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• novice_v

Tinkerer

w10 v1803  installed!

In Brief:

I manually installed w10 v1803.

By using Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/Windows10

and Acer Answers

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/list

How to use the Microsoft Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to Correct Boot Issues

https://au.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/48157/session/L3RpbWUvMTUzODkyMTY2NS9nZW4vMTUzODkyMTY2NS9zaWQvZlVlcl9nOHRVbkdfdU9yWlgzeXd2MmthNGNkVzRrWVhPbGFfcWNLMmhieDFpY1NPT1hvY0lkUGFNSzhFYmlzb1hGSVB2Y3lRS1EzQXZqMkVwV2NmcVg5R1RxTnJNMjhtMExTX3NsMFY3T25RYWE0Z1YlN0U1Sl9nV3clMjElMjE=

I disconnected laptop from internet, so no attempts of auto update could occur.

And followed Acer Answers except for last booting part, as I had already got my pc booted by using a boot disc.

I installed the update from inside a running windows.

I just put the flash drive with the update v1803 on it in to the pc.

Opened the folder “sources” and double clicked “setupprep” as Administrator.

It took about 2 hours and w10 v1803 was installed, easy !

• I'm glad you solved your problem, my friend!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• novice_v

Tinkerer

Thank you egydiocoelho for your help & encouragement.

Featured Windows Updates, essentially a full new OS every 6 months is going to be a continuing problem from now on. Some will install some wont!