Review of the Helios 500

Comments

• helmersen
    helmersen Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    It says, "Killer Performance Driver suite UWD cannot be installed with Killer Wireless Drivers"
  • UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Make sure this is what you downloaded:

• helmersen
    Make sure this is what you downloaded:

Yes, I downloaded that one :)
  • UncleMikey42
    Then I'm not sure what else to suggest. That should be current.
  • helmersen

Is it ok to uninstall the current version?
  • helmersen
    Is it even a vital app to have? Can I do with just uninstalling it?
  • UncleMikey42
    Without it, you don't have wireless drivers.

That said, as I said earlier, you probably need to uninstall it first before installing the new one.

• helmersen

That said, as I said earlier, you probably need to uninstall it first before installing the new one.

But first, which BIOS version should I have? My SMBIOS version is 3.0 but my BIOS Version/date is V.1.16, 10/24/2018 
  • helmersen

Im actually running Windows 1709. 
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited December 2018
    @helmersen

your problem is Nvidia latest drivers, 417.22 is bugged . Install these over the ones you have and you should be back to business. Uninstall not needed just install over the top it will uninstall automatically. 
  • helmersen
    mankvl said:
    @helmersen

your problem is Nvidia latest drivers, 417.22 is bugged . Install these over the ones you have and you should be back to business. Uninstall not needed just install over the top it will uninstall automatically. 
    I did a few hours ago actually, and I think it fixed my issue along with the updating of the Predator Sense. Thank you both so much :) 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    finch5 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    On the latest Windows release I also hit 80 C (Windows 1809) but on 1709 my temps were much less.

80 C is still perfectly fine it's just that were running games at max graphics at 144 fps in a laptop lol.

Are you on 1709/1803/1809?
    I rolled back to 1709 as 1809 was giving me some issues with steam. Anyways, i scrapped xtu all together and managed to find through google and youtube some of your really awesome post and videos on using throttlestop for undervolting and utilizing TS's speed shift function. instead. Also managed to find the zip file for 8750h's trottlestop profile through the comments section for a vid you uploaded for helios 300 (yes, i went that deep into finding a solution). Haha. You should be called acer hero man.

I also realised that when i run stress test through xtu or cinebench, my cpu only peaked at 71 degrees (based on the stock predator sense profiles and undervolting with xtu by -0.140) its only when gaming that the cpu temp rises to 80+ degrees. I suspect it could be due to the shared heat pipes with the gpu? 

Applying the trottlestop performance profile you have set, my cpu now only hits a peak of 76 degrees with no noticable drop in fps in rainbow 6. No noticable drop in fps for other games too. So this pretty much solves my concern as my aim is to keep my cpu temp below 80 degrees for the longevity of my laptop. The temp was hovering around 70 degrees most of the time. So yeah, i will toggle the performance profile when gaming and every other general tasks and only switch on the benchmark profile for maximum cpu utilisation for cpu only intensive programs such as photoshop or adobe premiere pro. 

Just wondering, are the temps that you indicated in your review based on the stock predator sense and xtu profiles or based on your own throttlestop profile? Just wondering if my unit's cooling is underperforming than what it shld be...

Anyways, hotel hero, huge thank you for sharing these tips man. Maybe you could also create a vid for 1070 undervolting and overclocking through msi after burner? Or i could just follow your vid for 1060? :)

Hey brother sorry for the late response, holidays are always hectic for me.
    Thanks for all your support! It means a lot. 😁

The temps indicated in my review are utilizing Windows 1709 (stock OS) with only XTU undervolt applied. With the latest Windows updates (1803/1809) my temps went up to 80 C quite easily and I would go back to 1709 but I stay on the latest to help others who update regularly. 

With Throttlestop though even on the latest Windows my temps remain relatively cool (In the 70's). 

The uploaded file you found is probably the one I uploaded to my Facebook group to help those who aren't comfortable setting up TS themselves. I really should add it to the description of the video lol.

I will absolutely make a 1070 undervolt video. 👍
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited December 2018
    helmersen said:
    Question! My Predator 500 is seriously bad! Most games play only between 15-30 fps, I have no idea why. My specs: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB Vram, 16gig RAM, 144hz G-sync display, i7 8750h 2.20 ghz processor.
    Had a similar laptop from Asus ROG but with a worse CPU, which played most games great. This is very dissapointing as I cant even play Skyrim Special Edition on 30fps. What gives? The Nvidia drivers are updated. Please help! 

It's a user error as the hardware is plenty powerful to run my 250 GB fully decked out & modded Skyrim at 60 FPS no problems lol.

If your playing on battery check Geforce Experience and disable battery optimization and also disable Whisper mode as both features cap FPS.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    helmersen said:
    helmersen said:
    Sorry. I was speaking MacOS-ese there for a minute. Task Manager is what you want!

Ok, I have 68 background processes, but Im not sure what i can actually stop running, as in processes that are not natural or vital.
    Sort by CPU percentage until the worst offenders are at the top. What are they?
    For one, PSAdmin honks 11,505.1MB of my Memory. Antimalware Service Executable honks 10% of my CPU. 

Read my review (main post of this thread) in the "Bugs" section I describe how to fix the memory leak issue with Predator Sense
    - Hotel Hero
  • finch5
    finch5 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Red-Sand said:
    finch5 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    On the latest Windows release I also hit 80 C (Windows 1809) but on 1709 my temps were much less.

80 C is still perfectly fine it's just that were running games at max graphics at 144 fps in a laptop lol.

I rolled back to 1709 as 1809 was giving me some issues with steam. Anyways, i scrapped xtu all together and managed to find through google and youtube some of your really awesome post and videos on using throttlestop for undervolting and utilizing TS's speed shift function. instead. Also managed to find the zip file for 8750h's trottlestop profile through the comments section for a vid you uploaded for helios 300 (yes, i went that deep into finding a solution). Haha. You should be called acer hero man.

I also realised that when i run stress test through xtu or cinebench, my cpu only peaked at 71 degrees (based on the stock predator sense profiles and undervolting with xtu by -0.140) its only when gaming that the cpu temp rises to 80+ degrees. I suspect it could be due to the shared heat pipes with the gpu? 

Applying the trottlestop performance profile you have set, my cpu now only hits a peak of 76 degrees with no noticable drop in fps in rainbow 6. No noticable drop in fps for other games too. So this pretty much solves my concern as my aim is to keep my cpu temp below 80 degrees for the longevity of my laptop. The temp was hovering around 70 degrees most of the time. So yeah, i will toggle the performance profile when gaming and every other general tasks and only switch on the benchmark profile for maximum cpu utilisation for cpu only intensive programs such as photoshop or adobe premiere pro. 

Just wondering, are the temps that you indicated in your review based on the stock predator sense and xtu profiles or based on your own throttlestop profile? Just wondering if my unit's cooling is underperforming than what it shld be...

Anyways, hotel hero, huge thank you for sharing these tips man. Maybe you could also create a vid for 1070 undervolting and overclocking through msi after burner? Or i could just follow your vid for 1060? :)

The temps indicated in my review are utilizing Windows 1709 (stock OS) with only XTU undervolt applied. With the latest Windows updates (1803/1809) my temps went up to 80 C quite easily and I would go back to 1709 but I stay on the latest to help others who update regularly. 

With Throttlestop though even on the latest Windows my temps remain relatively cool (In the 70's). 

The uploaded file you found is probably the one I uploaded to my Facebook group to help those who aren't comfortable setting up TS themselves. I really should add it to the description of the video lol.

No worries about the late reply, hero. Just wondering, did your cpu temperature occasionally spike up to 70+ degrees close to 80 degrees for like a second or so?

I realized that HWmonitor recently showed that my CPU's max temperature was at 79 degrees even with your trottlestop profile. I switched on HWInfo and let predator sense run while playing rainbow siege and noticed that the temperatures had been running on average of about 70 degrees, BUT i noticed in the temperature graphs that the CPU tends to spike up in temperature to the high 70+ degrees from 67 degrees for 1 second. I have circled the spikes in the print screen below. Also, HWINFO shows that my CPU temp on average was just 60+ degrees.https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb#faq_105

Just a last few questions,
    1. did your CPU spiked in temperature (about 8 to 10 degrees spike) for just 1 second at times like mine?
    2. are these spikes normal and should be ignored as they won't cause any long term damage to my CPU (meaning that I should just look at the average temperatures instead?)
    3. Are these considered as abnormal and should be corrected through repasting the CPU? 

Also, I realized that the temperatures reported by predator sense and HWINFO/HWmonitor are different... not sure which temperature graph I should base my findings on too. So sorry for all these questions on temperatures man. Just want to clear these questions that I have on CPU temperatures once and for all! Really appreciate your time in answering all my past questions!
  • mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    1 sec on 80C won't destroy your CPU 😉 Predator Imo should be the correct one it's made by Acer for this laptop. The only reason I would care about lower temps and would repast the cpu is to reduce the fan noise when playing games on auto with cooler boost. Idle this laptop is silent 😶 
  • Red-Sand
    edited December 2018
    finch5 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    finch5 said:
    Red-Sand said:

No worries about the late reply, hero. Just wondering, did your cpu temperature occasionally spike up to 70+ degrees close to 80 degrees for like a second or so?

I realized that HWmonitor recently showed that my CPU's max temperature was at 79 degrees even with your trottlestop profile. I switched on HWInfo and let predator sense run while playing rainbow siege and noticed that the temperatures had been running on average of about 70 degrees, BUT i noticed in the temperature graphs that the CPU tends to spike up in temperature to the high 70+ degrees from 67 degrees for 1 second. I have circled the spikes in the print screen below. Also, HWINFO shows that my CPU temp on average was just 60+ degrees.https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads/kb#faq_105

Just a last few questions,
    1. did your CPU spiked in temperature (about 8 to 10 degrees spike) for just 1 second at times like mine?
    2. are these spikes normal and should be ignored as they won't cause any long term damage to my CPU (meaning that I should just look at the average temperatures instead?)
    3. Are these considered as abnormal and should be corrected through repasting the CPU? 

Also, I realized that the temperatures reported by predator sense and HWINFO/HWmonitor are different... not sure which temperature graph I should base my findings on too. So sorry for all these questions on temperatures man. Just want to clear these questions that I have on CPU temperatures once and for all! Really appreciate your time in answering all my past questions!

1. Yes mine spikes as well. Most laptops do.
    The reason is the thermal sensors partially detect temps and partially detect voltage which attributes to the random "spikes".
    I get "spikes" from 30 C to 70 C then back to 30 C in a second as well... this isnt physically possible with any cooling system to fluctuate this way and is from the partial monitoring of the sensor.
    No worries.

2. Yes average temps are best for monitoring and temps below 80 C for a system running graphics as high as they are at 144hz with G Sync is actually pretty darn good for a laptop to pull off without throttling. I would only concern yourself with temps if they reach into the 90's.

3. Your temps are fine bro, just get on with wrecking noobs already! Lol
    Don't give into the hype spreading around about getting temps ridiculously low, theres no point and if you notice your fans sit around 2-3k rpm even at 70-75 C which is super quiet and isn't even their full potential.

I would give propriety for monitoring to Predator Sense since it is the OEM software that initiates before other programs do. It could just be the refresh interval is set different between the two programs giving the illusion that one is reading differently than the other.
    I use just Pred Sense with no issues.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    The only issue I'm having at the moment is my fans are too quiet and I forget the laptop is on and leaving it running on my games main screen all night lol - since my monitor auto shuts off on a timer and laptop is closed. 

I'm OCD so it bothers me XD
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Lastly you could try using Geforce Experience to "optimize" your games graphic settings for even lower temps.
    I dont use the whisper mode just the optimize feature and I hardly surpass 75 C on any game even BO4.
    - Hotel Hero
  • finch5
    finch5 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Red-Sand said:
    Lastly you could try using Geforce Experience to "optimize" your games graphic settings for even lower temps.
    I dont use the whisper mode just the optimize feature and I hardly surpass 75 C on any game even BO4.
    Thanks bro for the replies. Good to know that I should just look at average temperatures and to rely on predator sense since predator sense shows lower temperatures overall, so i am good. I also tried optimizing the game with Gefore experience, and you are right, the CPU temperature did drop, even tho the settings it chose for me was more demanding (I used to switch TXAA off, but geforce set it to 2xTXAA instead), but its weird that the CPU temp dropped instead. Anyhow, I should just ignore those spikes from now onwards. Because those max temperatures are just spikes, too negligible to even cause my fan speed to increase. 

Was just concerned because the HWmonitor and throttlestop kept showing max temps of 80+ degrees, while the average was usually hovering about 70+degrees.

Thank you all for shading light on my concerns regarding CPU temperature! Have been too OCD on this temperature thing... haha time to focus on fragging!
This discussion has been closed.