Review of the Helios 500

Comments

• mankvl
    mankvl Member Posts: 51 Devotee WiFi Icon
    finch5 said:
    So i do not need to be concerned that the cpu runs at 80 degrees right. Would not affect the longevity of the processor? 

Anybody else here playing rainbow six with similar temps?

Acording to Intel these temps are ok and cpu was designed like that, but if it reaches 91C it starts to termo throttle. I would not worry if you don't get any freezes. Also test your cpu with stress test with xtu. I remember getting 68-70C with 100% cpu usage. 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    On the latest Windows release I also hit 80 C (Windows 1809) but on 1709 my temps were much less.

80 C is still perfectly fine it's just that were running games at max graphics at 144 fps in a laptop lol.

Are you on 1709/1803/1809?
    - Hotel Hero
  • GaSs_ZA
    GaSs_ZA Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

My brand new Helios 500 , not a happy person, after spending so much.

Dropped it off at a Acer repair , now they tell me I must wait 2-3 weeks for parts. Not sure If I will have a laptop this year. 

• finch5
    finch5 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Red-Sand said:
    On the latest Windows release I also hit 80 C (Windows 1809) but on 1709 my temps were much less.

80 C is still perfectly fine it's just that were running games at max graphics at 144 fps in a laptop lol.

Are you on 1709/1803/1809?
    I rolled back to 1709 as 1809 was giving me some issues with steam. Anyways, i scrapped xtu all together and managed to find through google and youtube some of your really awesome post and videos on using throttlestop for undervolting and utilizing TS's speed shift function. instead. Also managed to find the zip file for 8750h's trottlestop profile through the comments section for a vid you uploaded for helios 300 (yes, i went that deep into finding a solution). Haha. You should be called acer hero man.

I also realised that when i run stress test through xtu or cinebench, my cpu only peaked at 71 degrees (based on the stock predator sense profiles and undervolting with xtu by -0.140) its only when gaming that the cpu temp rises to 80+ degrees. I suspect it could be due to the shared heat pipes with the gpu? 

Applying the trottlestop performance profile you have set, my cpu now only hits a peak of 76 degrees with no noticable drop in fps in rainbow 6. No noticable drop in fps for other games too. So this pretty much solves my concern as my aim is to keep my cpu temp below 80 degrees for the longevity of my laptop. The temp was hovering around 70 degrees most of the time. So yeah, i will toggle the performance profile when gaming and every other general tasks and only switch on the benchmark profile for maximum cpu utilisation for cpu only intensive programs such as photoshop or adobe premiere pro. 

Just wondering, are the temps that you indicated in your review based on the stock predator sense and xtu profiles or based on your own throttlestop profile? Just wondering if my unit's cooling is underperforming than what it shld be...

Anyways, hotel hero, huge thank you for sharing these tips man. Maybe you could also create a vid for 1070 undervolting and overclocking through msi after burner? Or i could just follow your vid for 1060? :)
  • helmersen
    helmersen Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter
    Question! My Predator 500 is seriously bad! Most games play only between 15-30 fps, I have no idea why. My specs: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB Vram, 16gig RAM, 144hz G-sync display, i7 8750h 2.20 ghz processor.
    Had a similar laptop from Asus ROG but with a worse CPU, which played most games great. This is very dissapointing as I cant even play Skyrim Special Edition on 30fps. What gives? The Nvidia drivers are updated. Please help! 
  • UncleMikey42
    UncleMikey42 Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    First thing to check for is, what's eating your system's resources. Use the Activity Monitor and find out. The only reason your system should be underperforming that badly is if some other program is chewing up the CPU, or bloating memory until the machine is swapping all the time.
  • helmersen
    First thing to check for is, what's eating your system's resources. Use the Activity Monitor and find out. The only reason your system should be underperforming that badly is if some other program is chewing up the CPU, or bloating memory until the machine is swapping all the time.
    Hey! What is Activity Monitor? How do I use it?
  • UncleMikey42
    Sorry. I was speaking MacOS-ese there for a minute. Task Manager is what you want!

• helmersen
    Sorry. I was speaking MacOS-ese there for a minute. Task Manager is what you want!

Ok, I have 68 background processes, but Im not sure what i can actually stop running, as in processes that are not natural or vital.
  • UncleMikey42
    helmersen said:

Ok, I have 68 background processes, but Im not sure what i can actually stop running, as in processes that are not natural or vital.
    Sort by CPU percentage until the worst offenders are at the top. What are they?
  • helmersen
    helmersen said:

Sort by CPU percentage until the worst offenders are at the top. What are they?
    For one, PSAdmin honks 11,505.1MB of my Memory. Antimalware Service Executable honks 10% of my CPU. 
  • UncleMikey42
    Right. You need to update your software. You have The Bug you'll find us talking about three months ago. Grab the newest versions of Acer's PredatorSense from here, and also update your Killer Networks stuff. Something about a particular version of the two of them, together, plus Windows 10 release 1803, causes that explosion in PSAdmin's memory.

• helmersen
    Right. You need to update your software. You have The Bug you'll find us talking about three months ago. Grab the newest versions of Acer's PredatorSense from here, and also update your Killer Networks stuff. Something about a particular version of the two of them, together, plus Windows 10 release 1803, causes that explosion in PSAdmin's memory.

Do you know where I can find these updates? :)
  • UncleMikey42

(alternately, you could just UNINSTALL PredatorSense, but there are things about it that are useful to have for fan control etc.)
  • UncleMikey42

(alternately, you could just UNINSTALL PredatorSense, but there are things about it that are useful to have for fan control etc.)
    The current version of PredatorSense all Acer stuff can be grabbed here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7604?b=1&pn=NH.Q3NAA.003 -- scroll to the Application section near the bottom.

The Killer Networks update can be found on their support page: https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads

• helmersen

The current version of PredatorSense all Acer stuff can be grabbed here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7604?b=1&pn=NH.Q3NAA.003 -- scroll to the Application section near the bottom.

The Killer Networks update can be found on their support page: https://www.killernetworking.com/killersupport/driver-downloads

Thank you, so I downloaded the Predator Sense update and Im currently downloading the Killer Software Package for W10, sounds right?
  • UncleMikey42
    Yes, that should it.
  • helmersen
    Yes, that should it.
    The Killer one wont install for some reason :(
  • UncleMikey42
    You may need to explicitly uninstall the older version first. In this situation, always make sure you have the installer for the current version on your hard drive, since you may otherwise be unable to install anything at all off the net!
  • helmersen
    You may need to explicitly uninstall the older version first. In this situation, always make sure you have the installer for the current version on your hard drive, since you may otherwise be unable to install anything at all off the net!
    Sorry for all the questions, but how can I make sure I have the installer?
This discussion has been closed.