Aspire A315-41-R3RF - M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD not showing up in BIOS

ICPline88
ICPline88 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Good morning,

I saw an earlier post regarding this same topic, but I did not see an actual solution.

I recently purchased the Aspire A315-41-R3RF laptop and installed this SSD: XPG SX6000 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Internal SSD (ASX6000NP-128GT-C) into the internal Slot (using a guide found on this forum).

However, my BIOS does not seem to recognize the drive nor does it show up under 'My Computer'.

Please Advise as how to remedy this & get my drive up and running!

Thanks,
ICPline88

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, it should work fine!

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    edited September 2018
    You can show the forum link! This model accepts ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ICPline88
    You can show the forum link! This model accepts ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    Like this?

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547179/m-2-ssd-support-for-acer-aspire-3-a315-41-r9d3
  • can you hit a photo with bios settings and especially the sata and boot function?
    I do not think this model is compatible with nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    can you hit a photo with bios settings and especially the sata and boot function?
    I do not think this model is compatible with nvme!
    I apologize but I didn't have a usb for which to print screen to. I hope this is enough!
  • I'd like you to hit a photo of the information section, the main section, and the boot section!
    But I do not think it's compatible with nvme!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    edited September 2018
    Again, sorry for Potato-quality pics!
  • Try this: change boot mode to legacy and press f10 to save on exit; then go back into the bios and check the information section if ssd is recognized! If it is not then you should swap it for a ssd m2 2280 sata 3!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    Try this: change boot mode to legacy and press f10 to save on exit; then go back into the bios and check the information section if ssd is recognized! If it is not then you should swap it for a ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    How do I change it to legacy? There does not seem to be an option. btw I just updated my BIOS to 1.09. (It was at 1.06)
  • Go to boot mode (uefi) and hit enter! You should see two options, uefi and legacy! Choose legacy and press f10 to save on exit and see if ssd is displayed in the info and boot section and hit a photo! If detected, then ssd is in mbr; if it is not detected, then I believe your model supports only the ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    To return to uefi mode, simply go to boot mode and select uefi!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    While a pcie nvme SSDs ***should*** be backward compatible with and recognised by your SATA3 capable system, some simply don't work and definitely not at nvme speeds. If it were my machine, I'd return the nvme for a refund or exchange on a garden variety m.2 2280 SATA3 drive. Probably cheaper and more capacity and work as fast as your SATA3 system is capable of. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ICPline88
    Go to boot mode (uefi) and hit enter! You should see two options, uefi and legacy! Choose legacy and press f10 to save on exit and see if ssd is displayed in the info and boot section and hit a photo! If detected, then ssd is in mbr; if it is not detected, then I believe your model supports only the ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    To return to uefi mode, simply go to boot mode and select uefi!
    I tried that, and unfortunately the option only comes up with "UEFI".
    JackE said:
    While a pcie nvme SSDs ***should*** be backward compatible with and recognised by your SATA3 capable system, some simply don't work and definitely not at nvme speeds. If it were my machine, I'd return the nvme for a refund or exchange on a garden variety m.2 2280 SATA3 drive. Probably cheaper and more capacity and work as fast as your SATA3 system is capable of. Jack E/NJ
    Hopefully Newegg will let me exchange!
  • I agree with @JackE, therefore, for an average user, you will not notice a significant difference between ssd sata 3 and nvme!
    Try to make the exchange for a ssd m2 2280 sata 3!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    I agree with @JackE, therefore, for an average user, you will not notice a significant difference between ssd sata 3 and nvme!
    Try to make the exchange for a ssd m2 2280 sata 3!
    Is this compatible? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?reviews=all&Item=N82E16820301375&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo
  • Commodore_1995#
    Answer ✓

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88

Okay so I just installed the SATA 3 and the BIOS recognizes it. I also formatted it. Now how do I set it to be the main boot drive?
  • Do you want to install windows 10 on it correct? If yes, then you should convert it to gpt, in case you choose to leave the bios in uefi mode!
    However you can choose to clone your hd!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    Do you want to install windows 10 on it correct? If yes, then you should convert it to gpt, in case you choose to leave the bios in uefi mode!
    However you can choose to clone your hd!
    So I converted it to GPT via Disc Manager, then cloned my Windows 10 Partition from the HDD to it. But it's not showing up as a bootable drive in my F12 Enabled Drive Manager. It is however showing up on the Main tab of the BIOS.
  • Is your ssd smaller than hd? If so, then I recommend that you use the cloning macrium reflect program! If ssd is the same size as hd or has a size larger than hd, I recommend that you use the migrate feature of the minitool partition!
    If you can not make a perfectly cloned install windows 10 according to the file created by me:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ICPline88
    Is your ssd smaller than hd? If so, then I recommend that you use the cloning macrium reflect program! If ssd is the same size as hd or has a size larger than hd, I recommend that you use the migrate feature of the minitool partition!
    If you can not make a perfectly cloned install windows 10 according to the file created by me:
    So I downloaded Macrium & cloned the drive w/ windows on it to the SSD. Still not sure on how to boot from it though.
  • You must press f2 to enter the bios and put ssd first in the boot section! You also test by pressing the f12 key when turning on the notebook, if f12 boot mode is enabled in bios!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer