Using more CPU and GPU when on battery - GAMING activity only

sri369
sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
A peculiar observation here...

Game: RUST at custom graphics settings with FPS limited to 60 at full HD on an external monitor

Same game same settings... only difference is connected to power vs on battery...
Game FPS fell from 60 on power to 30-45 on battery.
Predator Sense though shows higher CPU and GPU usage, albeit at significantly lower temperatures.

My power settings are common for both on my power plan and in ThrottleStop - only differences being:
1. EPP - 128 on power, 255 on battery
2. Turbo - enabled on power, disabled on battery

I thought maybe the EPP to 225 made a difference and made it back to 128 to be inline with power connected profile. Apparently that's not the driver for this.

Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Well it makes sense because of Nvidia Powermizer.

Nvidia powermizer is a feature if the Nvidia GPU that when the power is switched to battery it lowers the voltage/clocks regulated to the GPU in an effort to conserve battery life.

Limiting the max voltage the system uses would then give a different readout of whats 100% usage since it no longer gets as high as before.. if you get what Im saying.

Additionally the same aspect might be applied to the CPU since you are essentially also limiting the maximum capacity of the CPUs clock speeds.
    For example a i7-7700HQ utilizes 3.8GHz while turbo is active but only 2.8GHz when its disabled.
    Limiting the maximum frequency the CPU can clock to - overall also limits the maximum % that is shown due to the lower ceiling.

A CPU using 2.8GHz of 3.8GHz = roughly 73% usage.
    Using 2.8GHz of a max 2.8GHz = 100% usage

I can double check on my system tomorrow night to confirm but I don't think there's an issue.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    Well it makes sense because of Nvidia Powermizer.

Nvidia powermizer is a feature if the Nvidia GPU that when the power is switched to battery it lowers the voltage/clocks regulated to the GPU in an effort to conserve battery life.

Limiting the max voltage the system uses would then give a different readout of whats 100% usage since it no longer gets as high as before.. if you get what Im saying.

Additionally the same aspect might be applied to the CPU since you are essentially also limiting the maximum capacity of the CPUs clock speeds.
    For example a i7-7700HQ utilizes 3.8GHz while turbo is active but only 2.8GHz when its disabled.
    Limiting the maximum frequency the CPU can clock to - overall also limits the maximum % that is shown due to the lower ceiling.

I can double check on my system tomorrow night to confirm but I don't think there's an issue.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    I missed out on this little math:
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045