How do I enable legacy usb support

Options
Endor66
Endor66 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
How do I enable legacy usb support on nitro 5 AN515-52 bios version v1.15. Thank you in adwance 

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you beat some of your bios? It seems to me that this model has only accepted the uefi mode!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Endor66
    Endor66 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Can you beat some of your bios? It seems to me that this model has only accepted the uefi mode!
    i feared that might be the case. its a ashame i only have a legacy installer

• brummyfan2
    Options
    Endor66 said:
    How do I enable legacy usb support on nitro 5 AN515-52 bios version v1.15. Thank you in adwance 
    Hi,
    Are you trying to install Linux?
  • Mortenv
    Mortenv Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Unbelievable that Acer would implement this limitation. The switch is there in the bios, but the menu does nothing. I usually keep 2-3 USB flash drives in my backpack with tools like live-linux etc and this limitation is just stupid, as many of the tools are not fully uefi compatible at the moment.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try setting and saving a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password. Disable secure boot. Then try to change to BIOS. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mortenv
    Options
    JackE said:
    Try setting and saving a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password. Disable secure boot. Then try to change to BIOS. Jack E/NJ
    The UEFI/Legacy menu does not show legacy mode even after following those steps you said. Acer totally neutered this thing. Are there any more possibilities? Apart from removing the bios chip and modding the bios then flashing it with a hardware programmer? Acer has protected the chip so no bios modding like the old days :anguished:
  • LarryD
    LarryD Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    There is nothing that can be done as-is. Only if more of us got together and asked Acer to do this would it happen.

I have considered some kind of financial action against Acer but I doubt it would be worth it from one person. I just have to accept I have made a loss on this laptop, move on, never buy their stuff again and never advocate buying their stuff to friends, colleagues and customers.

I have no idea why they have started to remove legacy BIOS and yet leave a teaser option in there. I had thought it was just a mistake in the coding but it seems it was done deliberately to save either time or cost.

Contacing support via Twitter and directly was futile. I just got patronising replies and then meh replies.The support on this forum has been great but I totally wasted a couple of weeks in not getting a solution. I'm not going to do that again. Acer lost a customer and untold customers in the future - purely because they just couldn't be arsed to turn back on something that was already there.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    LarryD said:
    There is nothing that can be done as-is. Only if more of us got together and asked Acer to do this would it happen.

I have considered some kind of financial action against Acer but I doubt it would be worth it from one person. I just have to accept I have made a loss on this laptop, move on, never buy their stuff again and never advocate buying their stuff to friends, colleagues and customers.

I have no idea why they have started to remove legacy BIOS and yet leave a teaser option in there. I had thought it was just a mistake in the coding but it seems it was done deliberately to save either time or cost.

Contacing support via Twitter and directly was futile. I just got patronising replies and then meh replies.The support on this forum has been great but I totally wasted a couple of weeks in not getting a solution. I'm not going to do that again. Acer lost a customer and untold customers in the future - purely because they just couldn't be arsed to turn back on something that was already there.
    Hi,
    This may not help you but will give you some idea about what's going to happen in a few years time.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/intel-were-ending-all-legacy-bios-support-by-2020/
  • LarryD
    LarryD Member Posts: 24 Networker
    Options
    Yep already been through all that, and I totally understand why.

But before I bought this laptop there was no warning, no mention, no indication that they would switch the feature off. Also why have the option in the BIOS in there but not allow it to be selected?

The support from Acer, and PCWorld was totally useless. It is understandable with PCWorld but it's Acer's attitude that got me. They just don't care and don't want to know.
  • brummyfan2
    Options
    Hi,
    It's the problem with transition, they may be using old BIOS chips with Legacy disabled but I agree with you that they should inform the consumer about the changes, at least the customer service should be able to explain to the customers. 
  • Mortenv
    Options
    I will never buy acer again
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,486 Trailblazer
    Options
    @Mortenv >>>I will never buy acer agai>>>

Can you share your thoughts or recommendations on a possible alternative? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ