Does Acer updates graphic drivers for their laptops?

Options
M4rdock
M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Question in the title.
Im asking because newest nvidia drivers are 399.07 but on acer site newest avalible drivers (for my laptop) are 388.92, which are ~9 months old now.
Its a problem because when i updated to generic drivers i started to experience problems with games (mainly stuttering) and i was forced to go back to old ones.
Of course for now i dont have any performance problems but its always possible that new drivers will be better.
How often do they update drivers for their products? 

I looked at some old acer laptops driver page and from the looks of it they usually only do bios updates.

Answers

• butmonkey
    butmonkey Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    My onboard graphics driver turned out to be the issue as intel put out new drivers without them being compatable over windows update. Might be worth trying what I did and rolling that back to the one on the acer website and then trying the latest NVIDIA one.
  • M4rdock
    Options
    Yeah, i know i already rolled back to acer driver.
    What i would like to know is that are there any chances of acer updating drivers.
  • Sharanji
    Options
    M4rdock 
    butmonkey 
    While you should keep an eye on any security updates that pop up, different driver versions can introduce stability problems, so if your hardware is working as expected, you're better off not updating, since you never know when it might cause problems. 
    You'll rarely get big speed or feature boosts from a driver update, so unless you see in the release notes that there's something big, you're usually okay to just ignore it.
    Unlike other drivers, video drivers are updated often and usually with big performance increases, especially in new games.So, when you see that your video card has a new driver available, see what improvements the driver offers—if it offers system-wide performance improvements or improvements in a game you're currently playing, you'll definitely want to update. If it doesn't, stick with the current driver.
    The driver packages Windows automatically installs are different from the ones your device manufacturers provide. The core drivers are created by your device manufacturer and provided by Microsoft after they go through Microsoft’s Windows Hardware Quality Labs testing to ensure they’re stable.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • M4rdock
    Options
    Sharanji thats why im interested if or ever acer updates their graphic drivers on their site.
    For example, after i bought my last asus laptops, it got 4 vga drivers updates,support was for about 18 months after release so, im just curious if acer also supports their products for some time after release, especially since i tried few different nvidia drivers and none were working as good as acer one.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I found a really good driver to be 388.31 as it gives the features like whisper mode that Acer's Nvidia driver didn't have and has almost the same performance (maybe a bit better)
    - Hotel Hero
  • M4rdock
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    I found a really good driver to be 388.31 as it gives the features like whisper mode that Acer's Nvidia driver didn't have and has almost the same performance (maybe a bit better)
    This is ridiculous btw. 10-15 years ago when new drivers were released they almost never had any bugs and were fixing things, now for every 10 drivers nvidia release only one or two works well, rest of them makes more problems than has fixes lol
    Its the same with windows 10, remeber old service packs?

Btw. saw your h300 liquid metal guide, are you so happy with h500 that you decided to experiment on your old laptop :p?
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    M4rdock said:
    Red-Sand said:
    This is ridiculous btw. 10-15 years ago when new drivers were released they almost never had any bugs and were fixing things, now for every 10 drivers nvidia release only one or two works well, rest of them makes more problems than has fixes lol
    Its the same with windows 10, remeber old service packs?

Btw. saw your h300 liquid metal guide, are you so happy with h500 that you decided to experiment on your old laptop :p?

Agreed!! It's that they cater to new games at their release to make those games run smoothly for release rather then making game developers make their games work with current drivers... all while abandoning compatibility with older games.. its pretty stupid lol.
    Windows; Yep same story.

Lol! I still use my Helios 300 quite a bit!
    I wanted to do liquid metal for a while but I refrained so I could trouble shoot and help as much as possible (others) before making my system have LM to mask temp differences. 😁
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    M4rdock said:
    Question in the title.
    Im asking because newest nvidia drivers are 399.07 but on acer site newest avalible drivers (for my laptop) are 388.92, which are ~9 months old now.
    Its a problem because when i updated to generic drivers i started to experience problems with games (mainly stuttering) and i was forced to go back to old ones.
    Of course for now i dont have any performance problems but its always possible that new drivers will be better.
    How often do they update drivers for their products? 

I looked at some old acer laptops driver page and from the looks of it they usually only do bios updates.
    Unless you notice any issue with installed drivers, I would say stick to what is working best for your laptop and you, instead of trying to be on the latest version, unless you want to risk an unstable system occasionally.
    A new driver does not always mean a better driver. Personally, once the system is all set and working as expected, I'd prefer to leave it as it is - why break something that's already working fine.
    The only things I would prefer to be up to date is the antivirus definitions and any security updates (these too deferred  to 30 days seeing how messy windows 10 updates can be at times).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045