Power port loose, disconnects constantly

CosmicDust
CosmicDust Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
So the power cable just doesn't seem to plug in as snugly as it used to and has started disconnecting/reconnecting/disconnecting from the slightest movement more and more often, now to the point where it's driving me nuts. Is there any easy way to make it tighter again? Also, I thought it was just sliding out but I felt it just now and realized it does rock back and forth when fully plugged in.

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    I guess the problem is with the power cord than the port on the unit.
    If you want to go the tape way then wrap a single layer of tape around the barrel of the plug that fits into the socket and try,if it is still loose add another layer until it is a tight fit. If you dont want to take an risk on it than i guess you can buy a new charger.
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • CosmicDust
    Jack22 said:
    I guess the problem is with the power cord than the port on the unit.
    If you want to go the tape way then wrap a single layer of tape around the barrel of the plug that fits into the socket and try,if it is still loose add another layer until it is a tight fit. If you dont want to take an risk on it than i guess you can buy a new charger.
    What kind of tape? Wouldn't that interfere with the connection?

I don't remember being able to jiggle it while fully plugged in before, that's what makes me think it's the port. And I don't see any way the metal barrel could have gotten smaller.
  • Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    If you thinks its the problem with the port than you need to contact either Acer support to fix it .
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • CosmicDust
    Jack22 said:
    If you thinks its the problem with the port than you need to contact either Acer support to fix it .
    I was hoping there might be an easy fix like tightening a screw inside or something, but I looked into the port and it seems that two little tabs stick out and squeeze the pin to hold it in. Well, one of them is kind of stuck in; it doesn't stick out as far as the other. I assume that must be the problem.
  • Floris12345
    Floris12345 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi got the dame problem.. Used to wiggle the plug till it charges again but it is't working any more. Did y fix it? What was the solution? Can y share please! Thanks!! 
  • BlueBait
    BlueBait Member Posts: 59 Devotee WiFi Icon
    your charger or the port is broken call acer support you cant fix it by your self
    or buy new charger
  • PCman999
    PCman999 Member Posts: 2 New User

This thread is pretty old (didn't notice when I started this comment, but it's hard to shut me up when I get started so……: Probably out of warranty, and if a few touches with a soldering iron would suffice, why go through the hassle of a return and waiting for it to get fixed.

To it seemed that the problem developed too fast to be from wear-n-tear - I think it was loose almost from the beginning, but my son has been putting up with it for a long while so it's hard to remember for sure.

• CosmicDust

I ended up taking it to a local shop and they replaced the charging port, which they said was really hard to get a old of. I'm not rough on this thing at all, and it's become loose once again now. It only lasted maybe a year or two before it got loose again and I've just been living with it since then. Even worse, on top of that it almost never gives me the low battery notification no matter how much I adjust the notification settings. It just dies randomly without warning. Could be 5% battery or it could be 25% left.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,240 Trailblazer

Why not start a new thread rather than continuing a 5 year old one that no one will read (and may be closed anytime)? Soldering on a PC board is not recommended, leave repairs like that for trained technicians. Many of these DC barrel port problems arise from using the wrong tip (wrong power adapter) forcing a too thick tip into the port.