Acer spin 11 is not powering on - no power, not charging

RysMendoza
RysMendoza Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2022 in Chromebooks
Acer spin 11 is not powering on.  Doesn't look like its charging either.  When I plug in the power (usb-c charger) I see a single flash of the blue LED and nothing else.

I have tried holding down the refresh + esc + power for 5 or 10 or even 30 seconds, but nothing is happening.  

Do I have a bad charger?  Is the chromebook broken?

Thanks
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,745 Pathfinder
    When you connect the charger if you see any light than it indicates that the charger is connected and working.
    Try to charge it for 30 min disconnect the charger than try to power on and check. If it does not work than hardware problem.
    But first make sure the charger is working or not or try to charge the chrome book with different.

After you charger the unit disconnect the charger and press power button, if you see a bluelight with no display than press and hold the power button untill the bluelight goes off. Than power on the chrome book and power it off repeatedly 3 times and the 4th time just power on the unit,you will see the display coming up.
    (power on and off can be done by a long press of power button until the bluelight goes off and turn it on by a short press of the power button)
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Don't forget to try a hard power cycle, in case it's stuck in a sleep mode. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds or so, wait a bit and try to power it back on normally.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pkuns
    Pkuns Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi Rysmendoza. .
    Did you resolve your issue, I have exactly the same problem.
    I've even got a new battery and an external charger. The new battery worked then failed. The batteries are fully charging on the external charger but no longer powering the laptop.
    Can anyone help? 🤔 
  • Mudslinger711
    Mudslinger711 Member Posts: 3 New User

Just picked up one of these at a thrift store. I bought a universal charger and was having exactly the same issue, insert charger into either USB C port, then after a couple seconds, one quick blue light flash and then nothing.

I decided to pop the back off for the heck of it, 12 small Phillips head screws, no hidden screws. The back plate is clipped on loosely, just work your way around pulling back the edges with your fingers. There are no cables attached to the back, but mind the various ports and power button. I found that the main cable connecting the battery was slightly pulled out. The battery is the large black rectangle that takes up most of the bottom half, just look for the cable coming off of it, and where it connects. I pressed it back in properly and tested the charger again. Bingo. Careful putting the backplate on, you have to put the power-button side on first, then clip in the rest.

I noticed that the battery is able to slide around pretty significantly, I'm sure that's responsible for the wire being pulled out.

I taped the battery and plug in place with packing tape before I closed it up.

This is an old thread but I hope it helps someone. Quite easy, dont be intimidated. Just try not to loose at least half the screws.

Cheers

• Mudslinger711

PKuns, This would not seem to be your solution unless, possibly the port to which the battery connects was damaged by what I mentioned, either by physical for or even a short. I would closely examine the board-side female battery port for missing/bent pins or signs of burning from a short.

• @Mudslinger711

I understand you say "Just picked up one of these at a thrift store. I bought a universal charger and was having exactly the same issue, insert charger into either USB C port, then after a couple seconds, one quick blue light flash and then nothing."

I am really sorry for the inconvenience..  Let us do the basic steps first..

Doing the power drain and bios defaults will really help. Kindly follow the steps given below:

Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices or any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, you can find a pin hole. It is a tiny hole. You can a find a battery symbol indicator next to the hole. It is like a + and – sign symbol as though somebody is trying to shift the battery out. Insert the pin on to the hole for 30 seconds. Remove the pin. Flip the laptop. Connect the charger cable, turn on the computer. Only on laptops where the battery is inbuilt you can find the battery reset hole on the back of laptop.

If you don’t find a pin hole on the back of laptop then you might be using removable battery. There is no need to unscrew anything to remove the battery. Turn off the laptop. Disconnect or unplug the charger cable, devices and any other cables connected to your laptop. Close your laptop. Turn it upside down. On the bottom of the laptop, please look at the top or bottom depending on the way you look at it. You can find a long door. It is a battery removable door. Just below that you can find a latch. If you move the latch you can remove the battery door. Once the battery is removed, flip the laptop. Open the top cover, press and hold the power button for 1 minute. Connect the battery back on the back of computer. Connect the charger cable back and then turn on the computer. 

If you don’t see a reset pin hole on the back of laptop or if you are not able to remove the battery (if it is inbuilt) then please unplug all the cables and devices out of laptop.  Hold the power button for 1 minute. After releasing the button you should wait a while before plugging in power. Just because the button has been pressed doesn’t bleed off all the residual electricity on the motherboard. Wait 15-30 minutes before plugging in power. Then once power is connected wait for a full battery indication before turning the system on. That allows the battery to fully reset it’s internal statistics.

Connect all the cables back and restart the computer.  

While turning on the computer, tap f2. It will go to bios. Press f9 once. It will show load bios defaults with a yes or no popup. Press enter. Popup screen will disappear. Press f10 once. It will show save changes popup with yes or no. Press enter. Computer will restart and it will load into windows.  

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.  Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet. Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.  Try to use an alternative charger if possible.  Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

Try windows x 

go to device manager 

expand Battery

right click on all the items below battery – uninstall 

Restart the computer 

It should work fine.. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• @Mudslinger711

It might also be the issue with battery, charger or power outlet.  Try to use the charger in a different room on a different power outlet. Try to bypass the surge protector and connect it directly to power outlet.  Try to use an alternative charger if possible.  Try to turn on the computer without the charger and check it ( as long as the battery is not drained out )  

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Mudslinger711

@William_mk2

I appreciate the effort you put into your reply, but you don't seem to have read my post.

I was posting a solution to the problem.

I am currently typing this on the Chromebook that I fixed.

As I discovered that the main cable connecting the internal battery to the power board was slightly disconnected, your solution is unrelated to my issue.

Still, its a very comprehensive solution to try for others that may have a different problem than myself.

Thanks

• @Mudslinger711

I understand you say "I am currently typing this on the Chromebook that I fixed."

I am glad your problem is fixed. You are Welcome!

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 ACE Posts: 4,084 Pathfinder
    edited December 2022

@Mudslinger711

Since you are using a chrome book , incase if you are facing any software issues on the chromebook, the info provided below will really help you. I would like to provide you some additional info which will really help you for your chromebook in the future.

Try to do a chrome reset on your chromebook   to speed up the browser

open chrome

click on three dots on top right corner 

click on settings

Scroll down - go to advanced

click on restore setting to default

you will see reset settings - cancel

click on reset settings 

Close the chrome and open it It should work fine.. 

You can do power wash for login, freezing and booting issues.

We need to do a power wash on your chrome book.  

Restart the chromebook.

On the login screen please don’t type the password.

Hold the Ctrl key + shift key + alt key on keyboard and then press the letter r once

It will show “Reset this pc”

Click on power wash and continue.. 

Please understand it will clear the local and user settings.. 

Please complete the final setup.. 

Connnect to wifi and type the wifi password

Login to chromebook with your regular password

It should work fine ..

If the power wash is not resolving the issue you can always follow the steps given below for login , freezing, booting issues.

Kindly follow the details from the link given below.  It will show you how to perform a hard reset. 

https://community.acer.com/en/kb/articles/496-reinstall-powerwash-the-chrome-os

Once the hard reset is completed try to check whether it is working fine by connecting to wireless.   If it is not connecting to a wifi at your home please try to connect to a wifi in a different place or try to go to a hot spot and try to connect to a different wifi and check. 

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★