Acer Predator 15 G9-593 - Shift keys not working

OdlG
OdlG Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
hi there,

i have a problem with my acer predator 15 g9-593. neither of my shift keys are working. they seem to randomly switch between working and being without function. sometimes they work, sometimes they dont. all windows ease of access keyboard features are disabled. the problem remains after a fresh windows installation. i tried fiddling around with the predator sense software but that didnt seem to help. interestingly, i programmed one of my mouses extra buttons as shift key and that seems to always work.

i hope someone has advice for me. thank you in advance!

regards

Comments

• Hi,
    Have you tried reinstalling the driver for keyboard? If you haven't, go to Device manager, expand Keyboards, highlight and right click Standard PS/2 keyboard, select properties, go to Diver tab and uninstall the driver, reboot and let Windows install the driver. You could also check for any virus with Malwarebytes free program.
    https://www.malwarebytes.com/

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 4,006 Pathfinder
    Try power drain and BIOS default
    power drain: Shut down the unit and unplug the charger. flip your laptop, and the back of your laptopyou can find a pin hole. Pu a paperclip in the pinhole and press and hold the paper clip for 40 seconds. After you done with power drain do BIOS DEFAULT.

BIOS Default: As soon as you press the power button keep pressing the F2 key, so that it will take you to BIOS utility page. Now press F9 and press enter than press f10 and press enter. your unit will restart.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • OdlG

Tinkerer

thank you! unfortunately neiher of the two suggestions fixed the problem.
  • Jack22
    you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.
  • OdlG

Tinkerer

an external keyboard does in fact help. but wouldnt it be strange that both shift keys are broken at the same time?

where do i find the synaptics driver? i thought synaptics drivers were for the touchpad
  • Jack22
    • On Start , search for Device Manager, and select it from the list of results. Under Mice and other pointing devices, select your touchpad, open it, select the Driver tab, and select Update Driver. 

• If those steps didn't work, try uninstalling your touchpad driver: open Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) the touchpad driver, and select Uninstall. Restart your device and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

• If that didn't work, try using the generic driver that comes with Windows. Here's how: in Device Manager, right-click (or press and hold) your touchpad driver > Update driver software... > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, select HID compliant mouse, select Next, and follow the instructions to install it.

• Are there any drivers in the device manager with problems? Example: elanfilter or some human interface device driver?
    Try this, go on the bios and on the touchpad change the option advanced to basic and vice versa and then test the keys!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • White_angel
    White_angel Member Posts: 20 Networker
    NOTE: If you need to type in a password to even get into Windows to do the following, make sure you attached an external keyboard first, to get past the password. Then disconnect the external keyboard and try the following...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
    2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
    3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

You may also want to try updating the Synaptics Driver if the above doesn't help.

!!Please hit like and accept the answer if it helps!!

• OdlG

Tinkerer

I seemed to have found the solution:

After inspecting the insides of my notebook by removing the maintenance cover, I noticed a screw, positioned right in the middle underneath the keyboard, that was not tightened properly. I tightened that screw and now the shift key seems to be working just fine. I must have for some reason untightened that screw at some point, though I cannot remember what for (since it is not required for changing RAM, SSD, HDD).

I thank you all for your help and hope that this was the cause for my issue :)
  • OdlG said:

After inspecting the insides of my notebook by removing the maintenance cover, I noticed a screw, positioned right in the middle underneath the keyboard, that was not tightened properly. I tightened that screw and now the shift key seems to be working just fine. I must have for some reason untightened that screw at some point, though I cannot remember what for (since it is not required for changing RAM, SSD, HDD).

I am glad you found the solution and thanks for posting the outcome, well done :)
  • Glad you got that simple problem! Can you show us a picture of this screw? So others can try your solution!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Gaffax
    Gaffax Member Posts: 2 New User
    OdlG said:

I had the same problem and solved the same way, thx for the hint. Acer Aspire E1-572.