Auto Rotate Mode (Acer R11)

Options
SaltyGaming970
SaltyGaming970 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I just recently bought my Acer R11, it is better of a home use computer than I have ever had!  4 days ago, when I flipped it into display mode, auto rotate mode did not turn on.  Why?

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,764 Pathfinder
    Options

Why does my screen not rotate?

The auto rotation lock feature is turned on by default in Windows 10. Use the following steps to turn off this feature.

1. Place the tablet into Pad/Tablet mode.
    2. Click the Start Start menu and select Settings.
    3. Click System.
    4. Click Display.
    5. Scroll down and toggle Lock rotation of this display to OFF.

Here is something else you can try:

• Right Click Windows Logo(Start), and select Control Panel.
    • It will open the traditional Control Panel. Select Display.
    • Choose change display settings from the navigation pane.
    • Check the box for allow screen to auto rotate, hit apply and OK.

You can also see if reloading your display drivers fixes it.

Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • SaltyGaming970

Tinkerer

Options
    this is a chrome book

• Lanner_Falcon
    Lanner_Falcon Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi @SaltyGaming970

I would suggest basic steps first in-order to eradicate from check list. 

1. Check if you have the Auto-Rotate option enabled in you Chromebook. 
    2. If it is enabled and still doesn't rotate, then I suggest to check if screen rotates while pressing the following keys together: ctrl+shift+refresh

Hope, this helps. 
    Please do inform us, if these steps didn't help you appropriately so that we can look into alternatively. 

• SaltyGaming970

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi Thanks, 
    But i can't seem to find that setting
  • Lanner_Falcon
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi @SaltyGaming970
    When in tent mode,  there is a rotation lock setting available in the status bar settings - and you can change the setting there.

• SaltyGaming970

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi @Lanner_Falcon
    That's the thing right there, that icon doesn't show up!  My friend and I think it has something to do with Chrome OS update 67
  • Lanner_Falcon
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Hi @SaltyGaming970

Yes. It could be. In that case, you have to power wash your Chromebook and check. 

Link for steps to power wash your Chromebook:
    https://uk.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27648
  • SaltyGaming970

Tinkerer

Options
    I cant I tried @Lanner_Falcon
    its also my school chromebook
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Options

Hi all,

I am sorry to hear you’re having issues with the rotating feature in your Chromebooks devices. It looks like Google is aware and working on it, here is some links to the Bug reports:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=884096&desc=2#maincol

In some cases it looks like is being reported after the latest O.S. update (68) and in other instances it can be cause by a (Logitec) or any wireless mouse or device connected to the unit, Google should be releasing and update fix soon, in the mean time we can recommend to either disconnect any wireless device connected to your Chromebook and restart the unit or perform a "Powerwash and Revert":

If you have received the update to 68 and are experiencing no issues, you are good to go. If you are having connectivity issues or any other problems for the matter, you can attempt to roll back your device manually. Below you will find the steps but keep in mind that this will powerwash your Chromebook so make sure you back up and data you don’t want to lose!

1.   Reboot your device

2.   While rebooting, press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R

3.   When the Powerwash screen pops up, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+R again and you should see a new screen that says “Powerwash and Revert.”

4.   Click the Powerwash button to begin the rollback.

If successful, your device should roll back to Chrome OS 67. 

Thanks,

Acer-Manny

• Zigidizag
    Zigidizag Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Thanks Acer-Manny. spoton. thats a good safety feature to stop the usb port or device getting damaged! I just need to remember to take out the dongle!
  • Pssst3
    Pssst3 Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited May 2019
    Options
    This problem was created by a Google update 6 months ago.  The manual rotate work around was broken by the most recent update version 73.0.3683.114.  if you use it, when put into tablet mode, the display is forced back  into landscape.

This problem is NOT being addressed by Google, which caused it, and perpetuated by Acer who doesn't monitor these "self-help" forums, and who hasn't directly confronted Google about this issue.  Google does exactly the same thing.  Their support is provided by volunteers and unless one of THEM is affected by a problem like this Google never hears about it. 

Many of the suggestions in this thread are irrelevant because:
    1.  The forum doesn't require identifying the model AND the OS, and doesn't segregate issues by these criteria.
    2.  Posters often don't read threads from the beginning to see what the OP posted as clarifications.

If you want this problem fixed, I have a suggestion.  CEOs can get things done that developers are not convinced are important.  Google is an unusual company in that the management has been isolated from customers internet communications since the beginning. That's understandable when you realize they have billions of customers.  So do an end-run that will get your problem as close to the top management as their executive assistants.  If 100 of us do that, I'm pretty sure that that something wilbe done.

Send a short POLITE physical  letter by mail: 

Alphabet Inc
    XXXXXXXXXX

In the letter state two things

First state that you are a enthusiastic Chrome OS user, and second that the experience is badly spoiled by a major bug introduced last September that affects your convertible Chromebook.

My letter included this description:
    "Since a Chrome OS update in September 2018. my Acer (insert model number, eg CB5-132T) has not worked correctly in tablet mode.  The problem is not a hardware issue. The hinge switch disables the hardware keyboard and activates the software keyboard.  The display can be manually rotated by keyboard command.  The issue is not fixed by Powerwashing or disabling Bluetooth."

If you want to get Acer to assist, at the end of your letter add a CC, the following and send a copy:

"cc:
    Acer, Inc.
    XXXXXXXXXX

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• silkedann
    silkedann Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Why can't I auto-rotate either. It is May 2020 and searching my settings for rotat or orientation or tablet does not bring up anything. It was here for a while, but now gone again. When it was here I also had the problem of having no keypad in tablet mode. Please advise.
  • pkw
    pkw Member Posts: 69 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    There are many topics about this. The issue is not fixed yet, but should be coming with an update soon.
  • Xylos
    Xylos Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey, I fixed it.
    After removing the top cover of the display, at the very bottom you will see the electronics from the LCD and a small PCB that is connected with a wire with the rest of the components, just disconnect for a moment the small plate that is responsible for the X, Y, Z axes and everything should return to normal. If it doesn't work, you may need to restore the system and disconnect the battery for a short while.
  • ptunia
    ptunia Member Posts: 7 New User
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Yes...have the same problem.  I now have to go into settings, display and manually choose the degree as  90 or 240 to use vertically.  Depending if I'm using headphones or the other side, power cord plug in so the cord doesn't interfere.  Inconvenient for sure, but I bought it to use in tablet mode vertical and it worked fine until recent update.  I also no longer have the keypad in vertical mode and a few other maddening issues, also.  All since the update.
  • ptunia
    ptunia Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    Subject is lack of auto rotation on my R ll Chromebook since last update...still having  to go into settings and display and choosing 90 or 270 degrees from choices.  A hassle each time.  
     So disappointed in the Chromebook and lack of fix for this problem after 11 months of ownership. I just bought a new Samsung 10.1 inch tablet to replace it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the tablet is running the same ChromeOS it will have the same issue, since it's tied to one of Google OS updates.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.