Can't play most games after update on Predator G9-791-73cl

butmonkey
butmonkey Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
As the title says I can't play most steam games after an update somewhere. I have updated allsorts of drivers and settings and even done a factory reset and clean installation and still getting the same issues on games. Other people with similar Acer laptops have began reporting the same issues on my steam discussions. I have been through the issues with windows, Nvidia and game creators tech support and they all ran out of ideas to try. I think Acer need to talk to Microsoft to resolve the issue as people are being shut out.

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    butmonkey said:
    Ok so I just installed the latest Nvidia dedicated driver after rolling back the Intel one to the 2015 one on here and I am back up and running with Ark too. Thanks to you both for your help, realy appreciate it.

Good stuff bro, be sure to make the post as solved so others searching for the same issue can find it.

To explain what the deal is, Acer makes all of their own hardware, so those drivers on Acers website are customized for their hardware.

The latest windows update force updated their custom ones with the latest generic ones which caused issues across the board.

So just a heads up for any future windows updates.. if theres another big release like 1709 > 1803 > ???? Then be sure to check driver versions if your having issues.

Installing Acers drivers sometimes has windows auto update them in a couple minutes after install so if that happens just go to device manager > find driver > right click > properties > rollback driver.
    - Hotel Hero

Answers

• butmonkey

Tinkerer

Ok so I found out all the games will still run in 1280x960? Not a solution but at least I can play the games in low resoluition.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    butmonkey said:
    As the title says I can't play most steam games after an update somewhere.
    Wondering... what this above line means :-?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    butmonkey said:
    As the title says I can't play most steam games after an update somewhere.
    Wondering... what this above line means :-?
    It means that I am not sure if it was a windows, nvidia or steam update that caused the issue since they were all set to automatic updates. When I done the factory reset I couldn't even get firefox to display properly.
  • sri369
    Can you check the status of devices in your device manager? See if anything there has an exclamation mark or such.

Also, since the games are now playing at lower resolution, try uninstalling Nvidia drivers completely, and installing them again. Download a driver from a month ago.

Also, windows updates you might not be able to help much, and the same goes for steam too... but you can definitely control the nvidia updates. Do me a favor and turn them off please. No point breaking stuff that isn't broken. Even windows updates you can block to a certain extent.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

All devices seem fine in device manager. I did try installing old graphics drivers and one of the things the tech support guys got me to do was to delete and reinstall the drivers. Bare in mind that I got so fed up I done a complete factory reset on my laptop and got the same result still and also others are reporting similar issues. I'm pretty sure it must have been a windows update at this point. I also just tried the intel graphics driver check utility and it says I am all up to date too.
  • sri369
    butmonkey said:
    All devices seem fine in device manager. I did try installing old graphics drivers and one of the things the tech support guys got me to do was to delete and reinstall the drivers. Bare in mind that I got so fed up I done a complete factory reset on my laptop and got the same result still and also others are reporting similar issues. I'm pretty sure it must have been a windows update at this point. I also just tried the intel graphics driver check utility and it says I am all up to date too.
    Latest doesn't always mean optimal.

Anyways, coming to your point... you did a factory reset as in resetting windows, or restoring to Acer factory settings? Resetting windows would not help cos it only removes all user settings and sets it pretty to windows defaults.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

I done a full acer care factory reset. I just let someone from MS take control of my pc and he determined it is a Nvidia driver issue in his opinion, he said to disable the GPU and use onboard graphics until they resolve the driver in an update. Just talked to Nvidia and after exhausting yet more options he said he will get back to me.
  • sri369
    butmonkey said:
    I done a full acer care factory reset. I just let someone from MS take control of my pc and he determined it is a Nvidia driver issue in his opinion, he said to disable the GPU and use onboard graphics until they resolve the driver in an update. Just talked to Nvidia and after exhausting yet more options he said he will get back to me.
    Sorry to hear this... but try uninstalling and installing older version, perhaps that could help resolve this... like about 2 months old version.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

I got a response from Nvidia saying they believe Acer need to release a bios update. When I emailed Acer about this originaly I got some fool whos only response was that my laptop was out of warantee and would have to pay for help. If you have a way of flaging this with them sri369 I would be very appreciative.
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

I am up to date with bios 1.11 which was released in 2017 and acer care centre says I am up to date.
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    butmonkey said:
    I got a response from Nvidia saying they believe Acer need to release a bios update. When I emailed Acer about this originaly I got some fool whos only response was that my laptop was out of warantee and would have to pay for help. If you have a way of flaging this with them sri369 I would be very appreciative.
    What I would suggest is try speaking to an rep or so, without losing patience, and trying to work it out.
    Note: There are many users from Acer who keep seeing into these forums (these folks user names all start with "Acer-").
    Tell me something meanwhile, how old is your system? And hard disk age? Also, one more thing you could try is installing some software like say Double Driver or such and allow that update all the drivers. Since you are trying out all options, maybe this is one more thing you might want to try out.
    Most importantly, if possible, disable or push windows updates for atleast a week so you are not one of those early experimental lab rats.
    And... disable the option to update drivers via windows update service. I personally see no need for this when everything is set up - why break something that's working perfectly! Also windows as it is is notorious for breaking stuff and then patching them.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

Ok so I just rang up Acer support and told them after speaking to MS and NVIDIA that I was informed that my laptop needs an updated bios and all the guy was interested in was taking my laptop in for a chargable repair. I explained that there is nothing wrong with my laptop hardware and all I need is for Acer to release an updated bios and all he would say is that isn't possible without giving a reason.
  • sri369
    butmonkey said:
    Ok so I just rang up Acer support and told them after speaking to MS and NVIDIA that I was informed that my laptop needs an updated bios and all the guy was interested in was taking my laptop in for a chargable repair. I explained that there is nothing wrong with my laptop hardware and all I need is for Acer to release an updated bios and all he would say is that isn't possible without giving a reason.
    Did you check the product support page? Acer normally does a good job of releasing bios updates on the support portal.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

Yeah according to the support page 1.11 is the latest bios for my laptop.
  • sri369
    butmonkey said:
    Yeah according to the support page 1.11 is the latest bios for my laptop.
    Not sure what else to say at this time... except maybe try a clean install of windows, esp considering you have given up on options.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • You could play the games in fullscreen windowed mode.
    Or find the games exe and right click > properties > compatibility tab > disable full screen optimizations

Have you reinstalled Acers VGA driver?
    - Hotel Hero
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

Sri369 As I said before I already did a full factory reset and got the same result.
    Red-sand I installed the old dedicated graphics card vga driver before and no change but just tried the intel onboard one and for some reason some of the games are working now except ARK which is throwing up a new crash screen. Not sure why rolling back the dedicated driver made a diffence? I would say it proves that the issue is related to a software update being needed though and not a hardware one as Acer is trying to make out.
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

Ok so I just installed the latest Nvidia dedicated driver after rolling back the Intel one to the 2015 one on here and I am back up and running with Ark too. Thanks to you both for your help, realy appreciate it.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited September 2018 Answer ✓
    butmonkey said:

Good stuff bro, be sure to make the post as solved so others searching for the same issue can find it.

To explain what the deal is, Acer makes all of their own hardware, so those drivers on Acers website are customized for their hardware.

The latest windows update force updated their custom ones with the latest generic ones which caused issues across the board.

So just a heads up for any future windows updates.. if theres another big release like 1709 > 1803 > ???? Then be sure to check driver versions if your having issues.

Installing Acers drivers sometimes has windows auto update them in a couple minutes after install so if that happens just go to device manager > find driver > right click > properties > rollback driver.
    - Hotel Hero
  • butmonkey

Tinkerer

You guys should get jobs at Acer support and let the current guys pack bags at the local supermarket.