Disabling Cores at will

Options
sri369
sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I was thinking on how Throttle Stop and and putting cores into park using windows power plan and such work... and I was thinking since this laptop is designed for games when connected to power and normal use when on battery, how it might be to disable a few cores.
For example, mine has 4x2 cores, and I was thinking how much increased battery life I might get if I shut down 2x2 cores of those (effectively using only half the cores of CPU). Anyone know of any such setting where I could disable cores altogether when on battery? Or maybe I am being too greedy here to squeeze in more battery life.

I am not talking for core parking... all my cores are already parked when CPU usage goes to lower clocks. And processor min state is set to 0.

Some options I am using:

Karma...
LIKE - if helpful
ACCEPT - if helped resolve
---------
Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045

Best Answer

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:
    You might benefit from setting Speed Shift EPP to 250 which should decrease all cores to about 1.0ghz clock speed

You can also set the amount of CPU cores active by clicking Start > Typing "System Configuration" > Boot tab > Advanced Options > Checkbox-Number of CPU active > Selecting the number you'd like to use.
    First one... I shall give that a try. I shall try setting the battery profile EPP to 192 and see if that helps. I am only trying to avoid higher frequencies to squeeze a little longer life out of battery.
    Second one, that would kill the power connected settings too, and I wouldn't want to do that.

Edit: Changed the EPP to 225 on battery profile, locking the CPU to 1.68 max speed as against 2.79 earlier. Package power reduced from 24 Watts to 16. That's quite some reduction in power usage.
    If your looking to just outright reduce package power you can go to Throttlestop's TPL settings and set the package power limits to 16 or 13 or 10 (Whatever you want).

- Hotel Hero

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Options
    You might benefit from setting Speed Shift EPP to 250 which should decrease all cores to about 1.0ghz clock speed

You can also set the amount of CPU cores active by clicking Start > Typing "System Configuration" > Boot tab > Advanced Options > Checkbox-Number of CPU active > Selecting the number you'd like to use.

Although using this method requires a reboot and cannot be reverted without another reboot (After putting settings to default)
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:

First one... I shall give that a try. I shall try setting the battery profile EPP to 192 and see if that helps. I am only trying to avoid higher frequencies to squeeze a little longer life out of battery.
    Second one, that would kill the power connected settings too, and I wouldn't want to do that.

Edit: Changed the EPP to 225 on battery profile, locking the CPU to 1.68 max speed as against 2.79 earlier. Package power reduced from 24 Watts to 16. That's quite some reduction in power usage.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Red-Sand said:

If your looking to just outright reduce package power you can go to Throttlestop's TPL settings and set the package power limits to 16 or 13 or 10 (Whatever you want).

- Hotel Hero
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    actually i was also using 3 out of 4 cores before repasting...i was getting good battery life aswell as impressive tempts...i disabled only those cores which were overheating. but now i have applied thermal paste and enable all cores.
  • sri369
    Options
    asad814 said:
    actually i was also using 3 out of 4 cores before repasting...i was getting good battery life aswell as impressive tempts...i disabled only those cores which were overheating. but now i have applied thermal paste and enable all cores.
    It is not about heat for me... even with heavy games my temps are pretty much in the 70s. It is only to increase the time on battery. Plus when on battery I do not intend to do any heavy load work.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • sri369
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Red-Sand said:

It still shot to 35 with EPP at 128 and this clamped value at 16. Also, this value is common for all profiles. So my question is still open...
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    Did you change both values or just one?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Did you change both values or just one?
    Only one... but this is common across profiles.. effecting my "power connected" profile too.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    TDP wont change whether on battery or AC. Adjusting these settings will effect all profiles and cannot be profile specific.

The two values in package power are for..
    1) Short turbo boost = 56w package power for a cap of 28 seconds
    2) After 28 seconds (of being on the same task processing) it reverts to 45w package power.

So if you only changed 45w to 16w or whatever you set.. then you have to wait 28 seconds for long boost to engage. 
    Also if your using a stress test such as TS Bench to check package power, you will be on 56w for 28 seconds then revert to 45w for the remainder of the test.

However.. if your in a game or a reallife test since processes change frequently you will stay at 56w package power pretty much all the time.

In order to adequately test after you cap your package power (TDP) you must change both values to what you want it to be.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    Options
    Got it @Red-Sand. I shall for now play with the EPP, for I do not want any performance hit when playing games. That's something new for me for today :+1:
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------