Extensa 4620Z Maximum of Ram

nolen01
nolen01 Member Posts: 5 New User
Can Extensa 4620Z be upgraded from 2Gb to 4Gb of RAM?

Answers

• nolen01
    When I installed( 2) 2Gb of Ram, Win10 would not boot. A screen appeared saying it was repairing my computer. I have the newest BIOS 1.36. Is their a tab when I do F2 that I should push?
  • nolen01
    When I installed (2) 2Gb of RAM, Win will not boot. A screen appears that says it is repairing my computer. Is there a setting when I do F2 that I should activate?
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,086 Trailblazer
    Check the memory modules one by one in different slots, also make sure they are inserted properly, also check whether you have 64bit OS.
  • nolen01
    My Extensa has 32bitOS. I checked out the Memory and put one 2Gb and one 1Gb into the slots. The computer would not boot. Do I need a 64bit OS to make the 4Gb work?
  • nolen01
    I was finally able to have Win10 boot when I placed the original 1Gb of RAM and then placed the new 2Gb of RAM( for a total of 3 Gb). I could not get Win10 to boot with (2) 2Gb of Ram(4Gb). I noticed that the web site that sold the Ram said a 32bit could only use 3.5 Gb of Ram.
  • JOJI
    JOJI Member Posts: 1 New User
    nolen01 said:
    My Extensa has 32bitOS. I checked out the Memory and put one 2Gb and one 1Gb into the slots. The computer would not boot. Do I need a 64bit OS to make the 4Gb work?
    ME TOO

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    When 4GB of memory is installed you should still be able to boot in 32bit mode, you just won't have access to the full 4GB. To access it all you need a 64bit OS.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Maniac
    Maniac Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited April 2022
    Also ran into this, Acer Extensa 4620. Windows wouldn't boot with 2x2GB sticks. I could boot with either 2GB stick in either slot, so it didn't seem to be the ram. Bios (v1.33) showed 4GB. I tried putting a 1GB stick in the 2nd slot and it wouldn't boot either... was about to give up and just run 2GB. I saw @nolen01 and @JOJI's posts and tried the 1GB in the 1st slot and the 2GB in the second slot, and sure enough it booted. Wacky, but thanks for the post. @nolen01.

BTW I'm using a 64 bit OS, so this is a hardware/bios limitation in the motherboard.