AMD-Vi & IOMMU Errors on Antergos (Arch) Linux

Options
ferares
ferares Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello everyone, thanks for stopping by ;)

I'm having some problems with an Antergos 4.18 installation on my Acer Swift 3 (SF315-41) the main one is regarding virtualization.

At first when I booted up the OS I would get this messages:
[Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[4] not in IVRS table<br>[Firmware Bug]: AMD-Vi: IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table
And the computer would get frozen between 1 to 3 times a day seemingly at random intervals if I was running a VM.

After digging around I found this SO answer which helped me get past those errors by following the instructions under the title "2. Linux workaround"

I thought the freeze problems were gone after that but yesterday it happened again :'(, I took a look at the output of dmesg and sure enough there is a remaining error regarding AMD-Vi:
AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter.
dmesg dumps:
Any help regarding how to fix this issue will be really appreciated :# thanks in advance, if anything I would like for Acer to take a look at this and also my other issue regarding a reset problem because they both seem like they could be UEFI bugs.

I'm running Antergos Linux 4.18 and the latest version available of the UEFI (2.03).

Thank you all for your time :)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    What was the factory shipped OS if any? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• ferares
    ferares Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited September 2018
    Options
    JackE said:
    What was the factory shipped OS if any? Jack E/NJ

Windows 10

Here's the inxi -Fxz output
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    While I haven't tried an Arch installation yet, I've found that ubuntu installation variants seem to have fewer installation issues alongside Windows than solos. As if the installations had been optimised for dual booters, not solos. So I shrink the Win10 partition to a bare mininum to make a lot of room for Linux & its swap, set its grub ahead of WinBootMgr, and forget that Win10 is even on the machine. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ