Why has there been no recall for Acer C720 swollen/bulging batteries?

TechCoord
TechCoord Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I work for a small K-8 school district and have recently learned that many of our Acer C720 (and some C740) Chromebooks have bulging batteries.  Imagine my surprise and disgust when I did a Google search for "swollen Chromebook battery" and one of the top results is the Acer C720.  Is it a coincidence that I saw few comments regarding other brands or models?  I began checking the rest of our inventory and have found 12 so far.  I still have approx. 140 to open and check.  I called Acer support and was told that these are no longer under warranty.  I realize these are older Chromebooks.  However, I expect them to BE SAFE FOR OUR STUDENTS!  I feel that our students, staff, and school building are threatened.  It's one thing for an older device to not work as well as it did when new.  That's understandable.  These are potentially dangerous -- potential fires waiting to happen.  That I do not understand.  How can a company like Acer knowingly allow schools to use Chromebooks with defective batteries?  From what I've been reading, devices with bulging batteries are dangerous and their use should be stopped immediately.  We're a small school and have approx. 150 that need to be checked.  This was a popular model at the time of purchase.  How many thousands are still in use in other schools - or private homes?  When I ordered these for the school, I was so pleased with the product that I bought one for my home.  That's one more I will have to check.  As I've said, I am thoroughly disgusted.  We were planning to replace these devices this year.  You can be sure they won't be replaced with Acer products.

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    @TechCoord

This seems to be safety hazard issue. Please contact acer support once again and report that it is safety issue and they might be able to help you regarding this case.

Please do not neglect this since, its related to safety concerns.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • Tollsy
    Tollsy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the same issue, one Acer after another brought in for bulging battery. We are a small secondary school with over 200 chromebooks. 60 of them are Acers. We definitely will not purchase them again. This is a huge mistake on Acer's part not to address the many requests for assistance. We need an explanation for this known issue and some compensation. Trying to contact Acer support is a joke. Where are you???
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi Tollsy,

I am very sorry to hear this, I have sent you a private message requesting more information to better assist you.   

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny