Cannot change igpu (cpu & config) settings in mother BIOS

Options
Epicanor
Epicanor Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives
I am trying to install a new gpu, and i've been getting a blackscreen. So I believe that I need to change the computer to boot with the integrated gpu no matter what, however the options for the gpu in the BIOS are greyed out. What is this? Help?

Answers

• bobo609
    bobo609 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    acers way of keeping out of bios settings
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options
    What computer model do you have?  
    What new gpu are you trying to install?
    What BIOS version do you have?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Epicanor

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    What computer model do you have?  
    What new gpu are you trying to install?
    What BIOS version do you have?
    Aspire TC-780-AMZKi5
    GTX 1050 Ti mini
    In the BIOS it says 2.18.1263.
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @Epicanor

On my Intel Acer desktop, everything was controlled automatically.   When I inserted the new Nvidia graphics card, the Intel graphics on the CPU was automatically disabled. 

Try this:

1. Turn off computer
    2. Unplug both the computer and the monitor from electrical outlet
    3.  Make sure gtx1050 is seated properly
    4.  Connect video cable to gtx1050 output and to monitor  ( make sure your cable is not still connected to Intel graphics.)
    5.  Plug in computer and monitor
    6.  Turn on computer and monitor
    7.  Install Nvidia gtx1050 driver manually or I guess you could wait and see if Windows automatically downloads and installs a driver.

Note: If you previously had a different Nvidia graphics card installed, you're really supposed to uninstall the old driver first. 

• Epicanor

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    @Epicanor

On my Intel Acer desktop, everything was controlled automatically.   When I inserted the new Nvidia graphics card, the Intel graphics on the CPU was automatically disabled. 

Try this:

1. Turn off computer
    4.  Connect video cable to gtx1050 output and to monitor  ( make sure you're cable is not still connected to Intel graphics.)
    7.  Install Nvidia gtx1050 driver manually or I guess you could wait and see if Windows automatically downloads and installs a driver.

Note: If you previously had a different Nvidia graphics card installed, you're really supposed to uninstall the old driver first. 

Yeah that's the thing, if I have the gpu plugged in period, I get no signal, however the card still has the fan spinning, so I do not think it's dead. I'm not sure what's wrong with it but I want to have it plugged in and use the igpu, so I can see if it's working or fix it, which I can't, because I cannot post with the 1050, no matter where I plug the monitor into, so I am trying to change the BIOS settings, to where it always uses the igpu. But the options that are there in the BIOS are greyed out. 

I really need help with this, I don't know if there's another way to do this, or... something
  • JordanB
    Options
    To my knowledge, you can't.  You can't have both the Intel graphics and the Nvidia graphics card working at the same time.  The UEFI won't allow that.
  • Epicanor

Tinkerer

Options
    JordanB said:
    To my knowledge, you can't.  You can't have both the Intel graphics and the Nvidia graphics card working at the same time.  The UEFI won't allow that.
    So, just to make sure, I don't exactly mean both plugged in and function at once, I mean having the gpu plugged into the motherboard, not using the graphics, but using the igpu.

And does it render it impossible to boot with the 1050 in and having the monitor hooked up to the motherboard? Because that's something I am unable to do.
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    To my knowledge, if you have the 1050 installed, there's no way it's going to work (provide a video signal) if you have the monitor connected the motherboard.   To my knowledge, when you insert the 1050 in to the slot, the BIOS/UEFI will detect that and disable the CPU mainboard graphics.

In theory, after you install the graphics card, the Intel (motherboard graphics) will be disabled automatcially, and if you don't have the Nvidia driver installed then it will just use the generic Windows VGA graphics driver.

But the guy in link below said he had to disable the Intel graphics in Device Manager which I found to be quite odd....and generally a bad idea.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/594031#Comment_594031

• JordanB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you still have trouble, start over and try the 7 steps below.  

Try this:

1. Turn off computer
    4.  Connect video cable to gtx1050 output and to monitor  ( make sure your cable is not still connected to Intel graphics.)
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    The guy in video below had to go to device manager and disable Intel graphics too. Very strange.  You can try DVI cable too....I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rfe0jYSpUg
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    Options
    If you remove your graphics card and get your computer working again......the link to update your BIOS is below.  It's possible that you have some other unrelated problem going on that a BIOS update could fix.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

• Epicanor

Tinkerer

Options
    After some further hair pulling, I determined it must be a cable issue, and i'm just an *****. Will get a new cable and update if successful.

Also there are no BIOS updates listed for my model of computer.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Ok, let us know how it goes.  I might be overlooking something too.  But right now, I'm drawing a blank.   You can also check with your graphics card manufacturer....they probably have a customer support telephone number.  It's probably something simple.