Ubuntu stuck on purple screen on Predator Helios 300 laptop

Options
siddharthakala
siddharthakala Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my Predator Helios 300 laptop. The installation went successful. But after reboot I got the login screen, and after logging in Ubuntu got stuck on purple screen. I have tried almost all the solutions offered on the internet but the problem remains unresolved. I am not sure if this is specifically related to the Acer Predator laptops, but, it seems like it is mostly related to NVidia graphics card. I have GTX 1050 Ti card on my laptop. 

Answers

• vanadium
    vanadium Member Posts: 68 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    Have you tried Ubuntu 18.04LTS?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options
    @siddharthakala Did you install as dual boot alongside Windows with UEFI bootstrap? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SteamedWildCard
    SteamedWildCard Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I installed Ubuntu 16.04 on my Predator Helios 300 laptop. The installation went successful. But after reboot I got the login screen, and after logging in Ubuntu got stuck on purple screen. I have tried almost all the solutions offered on the internet but the problem remains unresolved. I am not sure if this is specifically related to the Acer Predator laptops, but, it seems like it is mostly related to NVidia graphics card. I have GTX 1050 Ti card on my laptop. 
    To be able to work with Ubuntu on Helios 300 you will need to install NVidia driver from Ubuntu's live media (flash/cd). Without it default Ubuntu's graphical driver will not be able to work on Helios 300. (I also switched Touchpad to Basic mode from BIOS)
    This way of doing it is taken from https://askubuntu.com/questions/976894/install-package-to-ubuntu-16-04-installation-while-booted-into-live-cd

What I did first, is installed Ubuntu on SSD drive using Live USB flash.
    After that I rebooted and again l installed Ubuntu on HDD (second) drive in Live mode - that was only way I was to get to mounted Ubuntu on SSD drive.
    After installation do not restart computer but find mounted Ubuntu SSD root directory in file manager.
    Copy path of that root directory - it should look like this: /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9

After that enter commands in terminal:
    sudo mount --bind /dev /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9/dev
    sudo mount --bind /sys /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9/sys
    sudo mount --bind /proc /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9/proc
    sudo mount --bind /run /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9/run
    sudo chroot /media/a10ebf3c-f23b-173a-b1a8-90111e5fa2a9
    sudo apt install nvidia-driver-430 # or whatever nvidia-driver version you want

And in the end reboot computer, in BIOS change booting order so that Ubuntu on SSD drive booted first.
    Now you will have working Helios 300 with NVidia driver.