PSU compatible with Aspire TC-780

Treijim
Treijim Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2020 Archives
Hi

I have an Aspire TC-780 and also happen to have a CX500 PSU, but it won't fit because the Corsair PCI-E plug has six slots, and the Aspire motherboard only fits four slots (there's a capacitor or something in the way, so it will only fit four slots).

I'm looking for advice on how to tell which PSUs will be compatible with this motherboard, or whether it's easier and more reliable to look for some sort of adapter cable for my Corsair PSU.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Treijim 
    The below listed power supply unit are compatible with your computer.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Treijim 
    The below listed power supply unit are compatible with your computer.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
  • Treijim

Tinkerer

I'm talking about the PSU. Power Supply Unit.

Thanks! It currently has the Lite-On PS-6301 installed so I'll see if I can upgrade it.
  • Treijim

Tinkerer

It seems it's pretty hard to buy LiteOn PSUs online, especially the 500W one. Are you sure nothing else higher than 300W is compatible with the motherboard?
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Treijim

Tinkerer

Oh wow, sorry! I completely missed the rest of your comment. My bad. I've had another look and the cable is indeed two 4-pins stuck together so I unclipped them and plugged one in. And the computer didn't turn on at all. I checked to make sure everything was seated properly, switched some of the SATA cables around just in case, but nothing. The graphics card works, the motherboard's fan works, but there's no BIOS beep and no light on the motherboard. What's going on?
  • JordanB
    If you post your complete model #, I might be able to (or someone might be able to) post some pics of you system with the cables plugged in to help.   But you have to post your complete model because I think there's more than one version of the TC-780 (different mainboards I think?).  There's also the TC-780A.

You can also post pictures if you want.

Example:  TC-780-xxxx

I hope you didn't fry something or damage something.  :astonished:

• Treijim

Tinkerer

The computer is fine because I'm using it now, with the original PSU.

The model is Aspire TC-780(KBL).
  • JordanB
    ok great.

I couldn't find the (KBL) version, but here is photo for TC-780

• Treijim

Tinkerer

I plugged those two in (the one on the left is the reason for this post) as well as the HDD and graphics card. Tried it twice. Is it possible for the PSU to just be incompatible with the motherboard? Or should it work as long as the plugs fit?
  • JordanB
    edited August 2018
    In my opinion, any modern, quality,  ATX power supply of adequate wattage should work.....from Vendors such as Corsair, EVGA, Seasonic.  500 watts is more than enough power.
    From what I can see, Acer doesn't use any proprietary connections on your mainboard. 
     Standard ATX dimensions 140 x 150 x 86 mm.

I think you should contact Corsair.  Sorry, I'm out of ideas.

I don't read every post on this forum, but a lot of people have installed Nvidia GTX 1060 and GTX1070 in their TC-780 and have upgraded their power supply.  If there was some kind of incompatibility issue, I would have read about it and remembered it.

Corsair customer support should be able to help you though.

• DMScanada
    DMScanada Member Posts: 7 New User
    Yes you can
  • DMScanada
    edited December 2019
    PSU SUPPLY 

Yes you can use any PSU you want. 

Today is December 26th, 2019.

last night my brother gave me a Thermaltake LED case, last night and early this morning I dismantled my TC-780 Acer and removed the motherboard, HDD, etc. And installed them in a ATX Thermaltake case with LED lights. I used a 600watt PSU and got it running perfectly fine. Any PSU is compatible becuase of the many different plugs. Again my system works flawless.  

Please Note: the only issue I had was the mounts on the AtX Case because the motherboard mount screws are tiny so u cannot use the ones from ur Acer becuase they are forged to the frame of the Acer case. You need to make sure ur new case has the motherboard screws which come with the new case to screw the mother board to the case.  The info around u about max 500 watt max PSU is *****. I’m gonna install a mega 1060GTX or higher in my pc as I have 600watts and may even up to 1200watts
  • DMScanada
    My 600 watt Acer Tc-780 in a Thermaltake Case LED case, 4 fans, 
  • DMScanada
    DMScanada said:
    PSU SUPPLY 

last night my brother gave me a Thermaltake LED case, last night and early this morning I dismantled my TC-780 Acer and removed the motherboard, HDD, etc. And installed them in a ATX Thermaltake case with LED lights. I used a 600watt PSU and got it running perfectly fine. Any PSU is compatible becuase of the many different plugs. Again my system works flawless.  

Please Note: the only issue I had was the mounts on the AtX Case because the motherboard mount screws are tiny so u cannot use the ones from ur Acer becuase they are forged to the frame of the Acer case. You need to make sure ur new case has the motherboard screws which come with the new case to screw the mother board to the case.  The info around u about max 500 watt max PSU is *****. I’m gonna install a mega 1060GTX or higher in my pc as I have 600watts and may even up to 1200watts

• DMScanada
    DMScanada said:
    DMScanada said:
    PSU SUPPLY 

This is my old Acer atx-780 case now in the dumpster
  • DMScanada
    The new or used led case with my mother board in it. However as for USB the wires are in the case but most people don’t use USB but use USB 3.0 so that can be connected fine. U don’t need earphone or mic jacks and not sure on the motherboard where they are but all is working flawless and a temp of 23.00 for each core.
  • DMScanada
    Oh and sadly at the moment I have a GT710 graphics card which is what u see but will be upgraded shortly.
  • rizzy
    rizzy Member Posts: 1 New User
    DMScanada said:
    DMScanada said:
    DMScanada said:
    PSU SUPPLY 

This is my old Acer atx-780 case now in the dumpster
    Do you think that thermaltake power supply could've fit in the old TC-780 Case?

• Dan17
    Dan17 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi i have an acer aspire tc780 amzki5 and I recently purchased a fps 500-60GHN(85). When I try to turn on with the new psu all the peripherals turn on but no beep and no boot. When I try with the old psu everything is normal. The fps 500 has a 4+4 connector and I make sure to plug in "cpu2" connector which is also 12v2 but doesnt boot. I tried the other compatible connectors but still doesnt boot. Where am I going wrong? The psu powers on fine with paper clip test and with case power button but mother board wont boot. I suspect a timing issue between the psu and mother board on signals and power. If anyone knows about acer tc780 please send some guidance. Is my new psu compatible with acer. If not why? What psu is compatable? Why?