Z271T Tobii Eye Tracker Doesn't Connect

gigem2
gigem2 Member Posts: 1 New User
Tobii Eye Tracker:
When Windows 10 boots, the USB device connected sound plays and the eye tracker lights up. Within seconds, the red lights on the tracker turn off. The EyeChip stills show up in the list of connected devices. Multiple USB connect and disconnect sounds play after the login screen is displayed.
I've checked the driver as per this site. The driver is dated 6/21/2006. I cannot update the drive to any of the files in the Tobii Folder. Windows say the best driver is already installed. If I tell it I have a disk and select either C:\Program Files (x86)\Tobii\IS3 Driver\tobii_is3_device.inf or C:\Program Files (x86)\Tobii\HID\drivers\win10\TobiiHid.inf Windows says they are not compatible drivers. Make sure it is designed for x64-based systems.

Things I've tried:
USB 3.0 drivers verified.
Multiple USB cables.
Nothing plugged into the monitor's USB hub.
Monitor USB as the only item plugged in to a set of ports on the motherboard.
Keyboard and mouse plugged into 2.0 ports with the monitor as the only other device connected.

The eye tracker used to work more often than not. It has progressively gotten worse over the last two months. Now, the eye tracker appears in the device manager as Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed).

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    gigem2 
    First, please make sure that your Eye Tracker software is up to date. You can download all the latest software on  https://tobiigaming.com/getstarted.
    If you're having connection issues, please ensure that if you're using an extension cable that you have an active extension cable or a powered USB 3.0 hub. Also, make sure that the eye tracker is properly connected to a USB port. Generally, the USB ports at the back of your PC tower provide more power than the ones in front.

Please make sure that the USB Type A to B cable is properly connected to your monitor and computer. 
    If the eye tracker is still not connecting, make sure to try all of your USB ports. You can also try to unplug any other devices that are plugged into the same USB controller in order to give the eye tracker more power.
    Please check if there are any driver updates available for your USB Controller. Open the Driver tab for your USB Controller and check the driver date and the driver version. Then please check online if there are any new updates available for the USB Controller. 
    The driver should not be older than from 2014.

If you don't manage to get the eye tracker going or no miracles happened, then please try contacting Tobii Eye Tracker support  contact us and they will help you out further. 

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • Aanjan
    Aanjan Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have the exact same issue - bought and tried a different USB A to B cable, but didn't make a difference. If I unplug and reconnect, it lights up for a seconds or so and disconnects.

My EyeChip driver date is 6/21/2006, and I can't seem to update it either.
  • KaneHobday
    KaneHobday Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Same issue here, hasn't connected for months now, is this blatant issue EVER going to be acknowledged by Acer or Tobii? All i see from either company is the same generic response and the problem has never been resolved. I paid good money for a monitor with a BIG feature that simply DOESN'T WORK.  
  • Dick1970
    Dick1970 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Same here, waste of my hard earned money
  • KaneHobday
    KaneHobday Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited January 2019
    Iv created another thread over at Tobii.

https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/z271t-tobii-eye-tracker-doesnt-connect/

Please go and comment as this issue needs traction.
  • Qn1f3
    Qn1f3 Member Posts: 1 New User
    @KaneHobday: The topic/issue over att Tobii is closed.

I've also been in contact with Tobii regarding this and done all the steps they instructed me to do.

I think it's really a shame it gets handled this way, seems several of these units shouldn't even had passed QC. For me I didn't come across the problem early enough to get it covered by warranty, since I was still rocking a old computer with only USB 2.0.

When I finally got my new computer I was looking forward to try this cool feature out, primarily "Windows Hello!" for me. But also the awesome ability to track eye movements and better understand where focus is on the screen to improve efficiency in various areas.

I really want this to work so please Acer, step it up take your responsibility, cause even if I like your products a thing like this will potentially make me avoidant of your brand in the future.
  • Inception
    Inception Member Posts: 3 New User
    Did anyone manage to fix this issue, as i have the exact same problem.
  • v3rbal
    v3rbal Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi folks

After trying all the solutions provided I ended up trying a different usb 3 powered hub and the eye tracker is working again.  I'm not sure how long this will work or if I'll run into problems again.  I'll keep you updated.
  • Dick1970
    Dick1970 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I took off the back panel from the screen and found this (it's the wire from the eyetracker to the usb hub):

A piece of tape was holding it in place so it made contact with the back plate. If you look on the upper right you see a red, green and white wire. No black wire to ground the eye tracker in the connector so acer found a creative solution... 
    The casing from the usb hub was also attached with a piece of tape.  I fixed it properly and my tracking is working now....
  • Johnno118
    Johnno118 Member Posts: 1 New User
    If its still working, could u go into more detail as to how to remove the back panel, and what exactly you done to fix it 'properly'
  • Ben021
    Ben021 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Dear Acer!

I know that these are some old comments and just wondering if anyone find a solution for this annoying issue, or everyone just gave up?!
    I've had this monitor since around 3-4 years and have same problem, but no-one could give me what could be the solution from Acer nor from Tobii..
    After this years, do we know how to fix it?