Predator G9-593 won't wake up after sleep sometimes.

Options
Beingastan
Beingastan Member Posts: 22 Networker
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
To wake it up I press a key and the keyboard lights up but the screen is still black. Pressing the keys again or moving the mouse doesn't help. I have to long press the power button to restart when this happens.
The laptop is 1 month old, and this has happened two times.
Any idea why this is happening and how do I stop it from happening again?

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    At this point, this seems like more of a software or Win10update annoyance than an actual hardware issue. You have 4 choices. [1] If system protection was enabled, you can check Control Panel for a Win10update restore point with a date stamp around the time you first noticed this behavior. [2] You can try a factory Win10 re-set without internet connection to see if you can reproduce the behavior before any Win10 updates are applied. [3] If you think it's a hardware issue, you can either return the machine to the vendor for a refund or exchange depend on vendor policy --- or --- arrange for warranty repair service ASAP. [4]  If it were mine, this issue doesn't yet seem to rise to the level where I would pursue any of the aforementioned choices. So my choice for now would be to simply live with it for a few months to see if any future Win10 updates, particularly the major ones, resolve the issue. If it doesn't or becomes worse, then I would, seek warranty repair before the warranty period expires. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Open Control Panel. Search power. Then click on edit power plan. Then advanced settings. Then show hidden/unaavailable settings. Make sure none of the sleep mode settings are set to hibernate after too short a time period. That's why it may seem to happen intermittantly. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Beingastan
    Options
    JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search power. Then click on edit power plan. Then advanced settings. Then show hidden/unaavailable settings. Make sure none of the sleep mode settings are set to hibernate after too short a time period. That's why it may seem to happen intermittantly. Jack E/NJ

It was set to 720 minutes by default, but still, the problem occurred. Any other reason you can think of?
    BTW the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System has the latest update installed too.
  • JackE
    Options
    Next time the screen won't turn on after sleep, try to turn it on with the Fn+F6 toggle key combination. Also, why did you mention the ACPI-Compliant driver was updated? This shouldn't be updated or re-installed unless there is a battery or charging problem. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rares95
    Rares95 Member Posts: 120 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This has happened with any laptop I've had. Usually solved by turning hibernation completely off from command prompt. Sometimes it will however just be on without screen turning on... 
  • Beingastan
    Options
    JackE said:
    Next time the screen won't turn on after sleep, try to turn it on with the Fn+F6 toggle key combination. Also, why did you mention the ACPI-Compliant driver was updated? This shouldn't be updated or re-installed unless there is a battery or charging problem. Jack E/NJ
    I mentioned the ACPI-Compliant driver because that pops up when I google about this problem. I will try the Fn+F6 combination next time it happens.
  • JackE
    Options
    Open Device Manager. Click on the battery folder. What is the date of the ACPI-Compliant driver? If it's other than a 2006 Microsoft version, where did you get it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    Disable "fast startup" option under power settings... this is the primary suspect/culprit across windows 10  laptops of multiple makes n models.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Beingastan
    Options
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Click on the battery folder. What is the date of the ACPI-Compliant driver? If it's other than a 2006 Microsoft version, where did you get it? Jack E/NJ

It's the 2006 version.
  • Beingastan
    Options
    sri369 said:
    Disable "fast startup" option under power settings... this is the primary suspect/culprit across windows 10  laptops of multiple makes n models.
    I hope this works!
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Update your BIOs. Had issue on my G9-793 until I updated to 1.13.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Beingastan
    Options
    Red-Sand said:
    Update your BIOs. Had issue on my G9-793 until I updated to 1.13.
    Currently using BIOS 1.14v
  • JackE
    Options
    Did you try Fn+F6 combo or fast startup yet? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Beingastan
    Options
    JackE said:
    Did you try Fn+F6 combo or fast startup yet? Jack E/NJ
    The Fn+F6 combo didn't work, and the problem occurred even after turning the fast startup off.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    At this point, this seems like more of a software or Win10update annoyance than an actual hardware issue. You have 4 choices. [1] If system protection was enabled, you can check Control Panel for a Win10update restore point with a date stamp around the time you first noticed this behavior. [2] You can try a factory Win10 re-set without internet connection to see if you can reproduce the behavior before any Win10 updates are applied. [3] If you think it's a hardware issue, you can either return the machine to the vendor for a refund or exchange depend on vendor policy --- or --- arrange for warranty repair service ASAP. [4]  If it were mine, this issue doesn't yet seem to rise to the level where I would pursue any of the aforementioned choices. So my choice for now would be to simply live with it for a few months to see if any future Win10 updates, particularly the major ones, resolve the issue. If it doesn't or becomes worse, then I would, seek warranty repair before the warranty period expires. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ