I'm thoroughly disgusted by Acer. Will NEVER buy from them again. Lying support.

Disscust
Disscust Member Posts: 3 New User
edited August 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hey all,

I decided against using my real account to protect my identity. Still what's important is what I'm about to tell.

In June 2017 I bought a new Laptop. Acer E5-575G (i7-12GB version). Good specs all around, was really happy about it.
About two weeks into using it, I started hearing screeching noise from inside. I didn't pay it no mind, the fan and HDD are notoriously noisy in any laptop.
However the noise grew, in pitch, volume and frequency of appearance.

I sent the laptop to repairment service for the #1 time,filing the problem under "noisy fan". Response: the fan is all good,nothing to repair.

Time goes by, the noise still gets worse, also with performance issue and screen artifacts; after researching a while, it becomes clear the noise is COIL WHINE from the GPU Unit.

So I send it back for the #2 time, accusing the problem to the GPU. They hold it 2 weeks, then send it back saying it was the HDD fault, so they replaced it.

The noise still remains.

I waited a bit before sending it again, and in the meanwhile the noise started to appear continuosly, unless I reduced performance to a minimum, in which case the noise was still there, but non continuously.

I ran some tests to see if it was actually the GPU, like benchmarks and the like, and it became cristal clear that this noise was due to voltage ramping up in the GPU.

So I sent it back for the #3 time, reporting my results, and lo and behold, they hold it 2 weeks, then send it back saying it was the HDD fault, so they replaced it. AGAIN.

This time I didn't wait anymore, I immediately sent it back asking to replace it, because both have non functioning, brand new unit, and also their behaviour, were unacceptable.

BUT! before sending it back I opened it and made a little sign (1-2 mm) with a sharpie, on the uncovered part of the motherboard, near the RAM (--> not voiding the warranty)

This time they held it 1 month. I often contacted them asking the repairment status, and they would respond saying "we'll send it tomorrow", and of course it wasn't true!!!
Also some operators told me they were replacing the MB, some others said it was the HDD. I grew tired of this b******t, and spammed them every day so I could talk with the technician.
Finally, the technician called me. And he told me "you're wrong,there is no noise, and no artifacts, no problem of any sort, etc, etc". Figures.

After a while, though, he PROMISED to finally REPLACE THE MB. After a week I receive my laptop, and in the technical report it's noted "Motherboard replaced".

I opened the RAM compartment. THE SIGN WAS STILL THERE. THEY DIDN'T REPLACE THE MOTHERBOARD.

Of course, the coil whine and screen artifacts are still there.
Also summer begins, and the laptop always becomes SCALDING HOT during use, because THE FAN ISN'T WORKING. I finally bite the bullet and open the laptop myself, and discover that the support

DISCONNECTED THE FAN SO TO CONVINCE ME THEY SOLVED THE NOISE, AFTER DECLARING TO HAVING SUBSTITUTED THE MB EVEN IF IT'S NOT TRUE.

This is it. I'm a student so I'll have to remain with this malfunctioning unit for a while, but in the future I WILL NEVER BUY *ANYTHING* FROM ACER AGAIN.
And also, I'll make sure to ADVISE AGAINST BUYING FROM THEM to anyone I know, and every forum on the internet.

I'm disgusted from Acer. You should be ashamed.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    This is primarily a users forum. Accordingly, I suggest that you send PMs to one or two of its ACER moderators with details on the Italian service center that claimed the repairs were done. Send me a PM if you need my help in doing this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi  Disscust,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Can you please PM me with the serial number of your unit and the 3 services orders confirmation sheets (it can be scan or pictures as long they are clear) with dates and order numbers so i can have a look in to it?

Please keep in mind that the Acer community (Forum Discussions), were designed as a peer to peer support community where Acer users help other Acer users with their questions or troubleshooting inquiries. This community is not a direct portal to Customer service, Moderators may read the various topics posted here and you will notice that Acer moderators may interact with members when appropriate. (case by case basis). 

Primarily the community is a place where members can exchange their own advice, ideas, articles with knowledge and troubleshooting techniques etc. it is not design  for  direct customer support consultations, case status, complaints, parts requests/orders or sponsorship/donations request, if you need intimidate assistance please use the following channels:

Support: https://www.acer.com/ac/it/IT/content/service-contact
    Chat/Email: https://it.answers.acer.com/app/chat/chat_launch#_ga=2.168027681.1461806610.1534525513-1045363774.1531752932

Thanks in advance, 
    Acer-Manny
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Disscust said:
    Hi  Disscust,

I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues.

Can you please PM me with the serial number of your unit and the 3 services orders confirmation sheets (it can be scan or pictures as long they are clear) with dates and order numbers so i can have a look in to it?

[...]

Thanks in advance, 
    Acer-Manny
    Beside, although I guess it'll be necessary to disclose the S/N once the aforementioned "escalation team" will have contacted me, I'd rather not do it already as I fear my warranty would be voided since I declared I opened the laptop to find out the support lie.
    I guess that wouldn't be _that_ much important since it hasn't done any good for the time being, but if all this racket will end with me once again let down by Acer policies, at least I'll still have another year of (albeit worthless) warranty left.

Hi Disscust,

I understand and respect any decisions you take, now keep in mind that we are unable to help you if no information is provided so we can follow up and or escalate. Now if you have already contacted the service center and they have informed you that you will be contacted then please kindly wait for the proper follow up to take place (time can and may vary depending on their availability and time zone, hours of operations etc.). I see you mentioned you have contacted the English (meaning US maybe) contact/service center but since you are in Italy that needs to be also taking in to consideration as the escalation process times etc. this will need to be passed to Italy support services to be able to access any history, case info etc.

Again we are always whiling to help out our users as we can and i think venting is very important an nothing wrong with it but i am wanted to clarify the purpose and meaning of an community, it has a lots of benefits and fun interactions with other in what gives you the opportunity to meet others from all over the world and even learn a lot from them (as well help others with your knowledge), unfortunately is not a route to report your specific experience expecting to get a direct support answer and assistance because again, the moderators job is to maintain the forum itself, so we are unable to access accounts or provide support and technical information since this is a peer to peer support forum.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,
    Acer-Manny