Why does my Acer Predator Helios 300 screen only work when plugged to an external monitor via HDMI?

Options
Darkregal
Darkregal Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Yesterday, I was moving my G3-571 model Helios 300 to my TV, but after a few hours of good use, I realized that the screen backlight didn't work. I could shine a light to look at it, it looks like this, when FN+F6 is pressed once, the screen blacklight turns off,but shining a light reveals a little bit of display elements.

I tried unplugging the laptop from the TV, but the screen is still black.

I restarted it, but I could see nothing. The backlight was barely bright enough.

Can anyone help me? This has been upsetting me for some time now.

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Darkregal

Tinkerer

Options
    Oh, and also, pressing FN+F6 regardless of whether the laptop's plugged to the TV does nothing.

If all else fails, I'm contacting Acer so that they can find out the issue, and maybe replace this laptop with the newer PH315-51-78NP model.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Try pressing the Fn+F5 toggle key combo instead. :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Darkregal

Tinkerer

Options
    When I pressed Fn+F5, I selected the "PC screen only" option, and the screen was still black.

But nonetheless, thanks for giving advice!
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Is it still within the warranty period? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options
    Have you adjusted brightness?
    Tried reinstalling Intels VGA driver from Acer's website?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Check the screen display brightness under windows display settings. When brightness is pushed all the way down, it goes to literally dark screen simulating its off.

Make sure the sliders below are not all the way to the left.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • JackE
    Options
    Great suggestions @Red-Sand & @sri369 . Hope the solution is as simple as that! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    JackE said:
    Great suggestions @Red-Sand & @sri369 . Hope the solution is as simple as that! Jack E/NJ
    His screen photo @JackE. It is barely visible but not totally dark or off. So it surely seems more like a brightness issue. I hate how Windows 10 is so purely designed towards tablets for certain things.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Red-Sand
    Options
    If the brightness slider fix doesnt work you might consider going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options, then click on "Change plan settings" next to your active power plan. Scroll down to Display, then under Enable adaptive brightness, switch it off for both the battery and plugged in modes.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Darkregal

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    OK. Is it still within the warranty period? Jack E/NJ
    It is. I bought it back in June of this year, meaning that at any time before mid-2020, I can contact Acer for the problem so they can fix it, and if all else fails, I'll simply ask them for the newest model as a replacement.
  • Darkregal

Tinkerer

Options
    sri369 said:
    Check the screen display brightness under windows display settings. When brightness is pushed all the way down, it goes to literally dark screen simulating its off.

Make sure the sliders below are not all the way to the left.

They're not. Last time I checked, I think I had them higher
  • Darkregal

Tinkerer

Options
    Red-Sand said:
    If the brightness slider fix doesnt work you might consider going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options, then click on "Change plan settings" next to your active power plan. Scroll down to Display, then under Enable adaptive brightness, switch it off for both the battery and plugged in modes.
    It was already off when I checked, but the screen is still dark.
  • JackE
    Options
    Unless @Red-Sand & @sri369 have any additional things to try, I suggest arranging for a warranty repair thru this link ASAP. https://www.acer.com/ac/es/AR/content/support
    Have your machine's serial number id (SNID) ready. Jack e/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Red-Sand
    Options
    Best bet to see if it is indeed a software issue would be to do a factory reset.
    If problem persists then contacting Acer is the next route.
    - Hotel Hero