PREDATOR HELIOS 300 FANS SEEMS TO SPIN SLOWER AND SOFTER EVEN AT MAX?

AKSKMY
AKSKMY Member Posts: 28 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi not sure if anyone of you had this issue, where the fans seems to be much quieter, at first I thought one of the fans had died or something. However it should prompt me or something if any of the fans (GPU or the CPU) has died, moreover Predator Sense still allows changing of fan speeds. So not sure what happen also. Seemed to happen randomely after one day. And it seems to do with Acer CoolBoost(Has been left on since the beginning till now). Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Also on a side note, there was a time upon turning on the helios 300, the RealTek Audio Driver was unistalled randomely, and has anyone tested Hibernating the Laptop and experience Audio Popping noise? has happened after around 5+ hibernating on and off cycles...

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi AKSKMY, 
    About the fan spinning slow, when you turn on turbo fan/maximum fan speed, do you feel any air blowing from the ventilation (Screen is facing you)?

As a work around, I request you to please follow this procedure 

SOURCE: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• AKSKMY
    Balatekie said:
    Hi AKSKMY, 
    About the fan spinning slow, when you turn on turbo fan/maximum fan speed, do you feel any air blowing from the ventilation (Screen is facing you)?

As a work around, I request you to please follow this procedure 

SOURCE: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/34843
    Hi Balatekie,
    As mentioned in the starting post yes there is wind however as compared to when I first bought it around 3-4 months ago. I'm pretty certain the fan was much louder(indicating much more airflow). And the CoolBoost doesn't seem to kick in as hard as before.
    Thank you for replying...And in regards to the procedure, my startup doesn't have any issue so far. No bluescreen or anything as well...
  • AKSKMY
    Hi, anyone has met with this problem before? Like CoolBoost isn't kicking in as hard as before? Although there is no fan error or anything.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    What are your temps?
    Is this running max fans?
    Why did you disable coolboost?

You can try defaulting the BIOs.
    Bootup hitting F2 on start, F9 to default BIOs, F10 to dave & exit.
    - Hotel Hero
  • AKSKMY
    Red-Sand said:
    What are your temps?

Hi Red-Sand thanks for replying.
    During normal use it is 57 degrees for both CPU and GPU.
    Gaming GPU is around 80-85 degrees but the CPU temp is around 90 degrees and above.
    Yes Max fan, and I didn't even touch the BIOs before. And I didn't disable Coolboost, It was left enabled throughout, just not it doesn't like spin the fans as loud as it used to.
    The weird thing is that there is no fan error or any bluescreen so the fans are still spinning, just that not as fast as before assuming the loudness.
  • AKSKMY
    Red-Sand said:
    What are your temps?

Also, am I right to say that if there is a fan fault, Predator Sense would indicate that the fan is not moving something like that correct?
  • Red-Sand
    edited August 2018
    Hmmm... even stock your GPU shouldnt surpass 75 c. Something is definately off.

I would recommend defaulting all your nvidia control panel settings and focus on removing windows background tasks and programs running in the background until your idling at 0-1%

https://youtu.be/XTPMwQKlfPE
    - Hotel Hero
  • AKSKMY
    Red-Sand said:

I would recommend defaulting all your nvidia control panel settings and focus on removing windows background tasks and programs running in the background until your idling at 0-1%

Hi Red-Sand,
    U are saying during gaming sessions, GPU temp should surpass 75c? Cuz the first time I bought the Predator Helios 300, it was already hitting the same temp around 85 C for GPU. Just that the fans were louder. And Coolboost can be heard louder.
    And if u are saying during normal use, yes background is Idling at 0-1% based on task manager.
  • AKSKMY
    Hi Red-Sand,
    On a side note, have u experience audio popping noise after turning on laptop from *Hibernate* mode?
  • Red-Sand
    AKSKMY said:
    Red-Sand said:

Hi Red-Sand,
    U are saying during gaming sessions, GPU temp should surpass 75c? Cuz the first time I bought the Predator Helios 300, it was already hitting the same temp around 85 C for GPU. Just that the fans were louder. And Coolboost can be heard louder.
    And if u are saying during normal use, yes background is Idling at 0-1% based on task manager.
    85 C seems rather high compared to others Ive seen at stock settings (new).
    Mine for example didnt surpass 75 C as mentioned before and I believe the GPU for this unit throttles its speed at 88 C so your close. It could be a thermal paste application irregularity.

Have you completed the steps in the video above?

What model is your laptop? Does it have aeroblade fans?

I cant say for the popping sound your hearing as I disable hibernation for my laptop due to having an SSD. SSDs having a much more limited read/write life cycle compared to a HDD I like having it write to the disc as little as possible (hibernation files are constantly updated).
    In my opinion the startup time for an SSD is fast enough to not need to hibernate anyway.

You could try purging (deleting) all the files except "layout.ini" in the folder...
    C:/Windows/Prefetch
    This will delete the files stored for fast startup (a form of hibernation) and allow it to rebuild itself incase something in there is causing the popping sound.
    After windows updates itself to 1803 it force updated many drivers that it was not supposed to and resetting its hibernation build may help.

Note: I would also try installing Acer's Realtek driver from their driver download site. As I mentioned before windows force updating many drivers on the latest release and Acer having custom drivers (they make their own hardware) work best with their drivers in place.
    - Hotel Hero
  • AmitKharwal
    AmitKharwal Member Posts: 1 New User
    my acer predator helios 300 has fan speed issues the cpu fan runs at max 6000 rpm but the gpu fans seem to run slower at 2000 rpm at max my gpu is 1050ti