HELIOS 300 Slow Internet

Options
SniperCT
SniperCT Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a fresh install of windows 10, updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, latest bios, and I'm getting speeds anywhere from 16-30 mbps on a 120mbps connection. My wife's alienware, sitting equidistant from the router and near me gets the full speeds. I've adjusted wifi settings, tried both 2.4 and 5g networks, disabled auto tuning, rebooted modem and router, verified all my router settings as normal, disabled QOS on both router and laptop, and still same issues. 

I adjusted all the power settings for maximum performance as well. After all of that my speeds were in the 30-60 range, still about half of what it should be. My upload keeps spiking over 100mbps which is bizare, but it's only happening on this one PC.

Wireless adapter was disabled when I booted into safemode with networking so I wasn't able to test that way, and doing diag startup with MSCONFIG disabled my network adapter entirely. 

Is there something I've missed? I thought it was my network but every other device on it gets 100mb+. I'd just like to reliably get 80+ on this thing.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Options
    How WiFi works in terms of speed specified:

100 Mbps = you get only 50, reason being that the 100 is divided into 50 up and 50 down.

My old 6 year old laptop gives me 30-35 Mbps when connected to Wifi on a dual channel router.
    My predator came with a dual channel WiFi card and on the same router this gives me about 60-70 Mbps.

But... when I connect the same to LAN physical cable I get the full 200 Mbps speeds.

Check the card specifications between your wife's laptop and yours. Maybe her's supports higher speeds and more channels.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • SniperCT
    Options
    sri369 said:

100 Mbps = you get only 50, reason being that the 100 is divided into 50 up and 50 down.

My old 6 year old laptop gives me 30-35 Mbps when connected to Wifi on a dual channel router.
    My predator came with a dual channel WiFi card and on the same router this gives me about 60-70 Mbps.

But... when I connect the same to LAN physical cable I get the full 200 Mbps speeds.

Check the card specifications between your wife's laptop and yours. Maybe her's supports higher speeds and more channels.
    This laptop is less than a year old, with an AC network card, connected to an AC router. My internet connection is 120 down by 10 up. This has nothing to do when the 100 being halved, that doesn't even make sense.

I'm getting half the speeds of the laptop right next to me on the exact same wifi network using the same test sites. (speedtest.net, speakeasy, and speedof.me). We don't test at the same time.
  • SniperCT
    Options
    For the record here are the specs of the wifi device in this laptop

Wi-Fi Standards

• 802.11ac Wave 2
    • 802.11n
    • 802.11a/b/g

Wi-Fi Spectral Bands

• 2.4 GHz
    • 5 GHz

Peak speed

• 867 Mbps

Channel Utilization

• 20/40 MHz
    • 20/40/80 MHz

MIMO Configuration

• 2x2 (2-stream)

Wi-Fi Features

• MU-MIMO
  • Acrid
    Acrid Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sri369 said:

Apparently you don't know how WiFi works that's the funniest thing I've seen all day.... 50mbs up LOL 
    I mean, didn't you see that he said his wife already gets 100+???
  • Acrid
    Acrid Member Posts: 22 Troubleshooter
    Options
    On a more serious note, do you have a router/modem combo or do you have a dedicated router? If you do not have a dedicated router, or have a bad router my guess would be that your router just doesn't have the bandwidth for all of your devices. I have the same laptop as you but no problem with WiFi speeds. (not to mention the Helios 300 has a good WiFi card in it) One test you could do to see if it was your router bandwidth is go into your router and delete all devices but your laptop. Make sure no device but your laptop is connected and see if you get the same speeds.
  • sri369
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Acrid said:
    Apparently you don't know how WiFi works that's the funniest thing I've seen all day.... 50mbs up LOL 
    I mean, didn't you see that he said his wife already gets 100+???
    Speed vs. Throughput

Let's first define terms. People tend to talk about "how fast" their wireless connection is or its "speed". What they typically mean is the number that Windows reports in its Wireless Network Connection Status window as shown below.

This number is only distantly related to the actual throughput of your wireless connection. What it shows is the link rate of the connection. Link rate is also referred to as PHY (or physical layer) rate, which is the maximum rate that bits can theoretically move across the network link.

Throughput has many definitions, but I like Wikipedia's:

In communication networks, such as Ethernet or [Wi-Fi], throughput or network throughput is the average rate of successful message delivery over a communication channel. (emphasis mine)

In wireless communication, there are two main mechanisms working against successful delivery of the email, web page, YouTube video or game controller movement (the "message" in the above definition) you want. First, there are lots of bits used for communicating information other than the actual data you are trying to send or receive, or overhead. Then there is the inherent unreliability of a wireless connection causing data to be resent, i.e. retransmission.

Both of these mechanisms use bandwidth that otherwise would be available to you. The result is that you are lucky if your actual usable throughput is half the "speed" that Windows shows you. To restate and oversimplify, "speed" is what is theoretically possible, "throughput" is what you actually get to use.

Anyways... this discussion on speeds and throughput ends here.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • sri369
    edited August 2018
    Options
    SniperCT said:
    For the record here are the specs of the wifi device in this laptop

Wi-Fi Standards

• 802.11ac Wave 2
    • 802.11n
    • 802.11a/b/g

Wi-Fi Spectral Bands

• 2.4 GHz
    • 5 GHz

Peak speed

• 867 Mbps

Channel Utilization

• 20/40 MHz
    • 20/40/80 MHz

MIMO Configuration

• 2x2 (2-stream)

Wi-Fi Features

• MU-MIMO
    My G3-572 has a card with similar specs as yours (https://www.qualcomm.com/products/qca6174a-dual-band-wi-fi)
    My Internet speed is at 200 Mbps down and 10 up. I tested these for you to compare.
    LAN cable: 235 Mbps
    2.4G: 95 Mbps down
    5G: 220 Mbps down

So here's something you could try: when you select 5G, try selecting various bands and seeing which one gives least interference (translating into higher speeds). On my router I set a specific channel instead of default auto.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • Sgmuffle
    Sgmuffle Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello, I have found that FUNCTION F3 and then Function F3 has fixed it every time. Make sure to do it every time you reboot or if it seems to be running slow.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    Sgmuffle This is an old thread but thanks for the input youre just basically disabling and enabling the wifi adapter anyway :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Fivesmaster
    Fivesmaster Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    Sgmuffle said:
    Hello, I have found that FUNCTION F3 and then Function F3 has fixed it every time. Make sure to do it every time you reboot or if it seems to be running slow..

I also have very slow wifi, apprix 30mbps, when it should be 110...just did the F3 idea and it works!!!! thank you. Is there any way to solve this without having to hit F3 every time??
    thank you