Switch Alpha 12 -- screen glitches, dancing lines on righthand, and glitch freeze fade to black

Thoracius
Thoracius Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've only had my Switch Alpha 12 for a few months. Since I first got it there've been intermittent glitches that appear sometimes on the righthand side of the screen, like little scanlines dancing around. More recently sometimes the screen like freeze half-dark with scanlines like a bad digital photocopy and fade to black, and a clicking sound comes out of the top righthand side of the monitor. I have to press the power button to turn if off and back on to get the screen working again.

How can I resolve these screen glitching issues? The freeze-fading to black glitch is more than annoying, and is driving me crazy.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    You could try reinstalling the Intel graphics driver, go to Acer support site and download the driver( even if it's older than the current driver), then uninstall the driver in Device manager, right click start, expand Display adapters, right click Intel graphics and go to Properties, uninstall the driver in Driver tab, then install the downloaded file.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/support-product/6806?b=1
  • BlueScreenOfBeth
    BlueScreenOfBeth Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have also had this problem. I updated the drivers for the graphics card, but it didn't help. :( I have attached a couple of pictures that show what it looks like in case that helps. The blue one is during a windows update.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    That sure looks like a hardware problem to me, when drivers typically fail you either get no display or the display shifts to minimal resolution. Are you still in warranty? If so it's time to contact Acer support. You might want to contact support even if you're out of warranty, they may have a flat rate repair option.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having the same problem as Thoracius 

and my screen regularly looks like the attached screen pictures of BlueScreenOfBeth.

I have an Acer Switch SA5-271

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-bit) Version 1809

Intel Core i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz

Intel HD Graphics 520 Driver Version: 20.19.15.4454; Driver Date: 5/4/2016

Here's what I've tried:

I have installed the latest Microsoft updates.

I've had the same issue in Win10 Version 1803.

Intel Driver & Support Assistant says my “Intel Software is up to date.”

I've uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 520 driver and removed it from my device, but Windows Update reinstalls the same driver with the same version and date.

Intel says the Graphics Driver I'm using has been customized by the Manufacturer, so any updates have to come from ACER.

In the Intel Graphics Control Panel / Power / On Battery: I've “Disabled” the Extended Battery Life for Gaming, and I've “Disabled” the Display Power Saving Technology.

Any help from ACER support would be appreciated.

• billsey
    Well, Acer support means contacting them directly, this is a community support board. If you are seeing issues similar to the pictures above it is likely a hardware issue and will require a motherboard swap. Acer support usually has a flat rate repair for that if you are out of warranty.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack Member Posts: 2 New User
    Do you know the cost (or the approximate cost) of a flat rate repair?
  • billsey
    No idea, but it shouldn't be too hard to call them and find out.
  • igorleal
    igorleal Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    I have the same problem here. To eliminate the possibility of the problem being related to driver or windows 10 I did a boot with a linux distribution and the problem did not occur. Could you take this test and give me feedback?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    igorleal I dual boot Win10 & Mint on an SA5-271. Mint doesn't seem to give problems. Mint can have same look, feel and stability of Win7. So I default boot to Mint. So my feedback to you is that I think you should do the same with whatever distro you feel comfortable with. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• igorleal
    igorleal Member Posts: 23 Troubleshooter
    JackE said:
    igorleal I dual boot Win10 & Mint on an SA5-271. Mint doesn't seem to give problems. Mint can have same look, feel and stability of Win7. So I default boot to Mint. So my feedback to you is that I think you should do the same with whatever distro you feel comfortable with. Jack E/NJ 

Is this problem related to updating to Windows 10 creators? I tried all possible driver versions. The only solution was a different OS.
  • JackE
    igorleal>>>The only solution was a different OS.>>>
    Agreed. I think the main issue is the new & unimproved Win10 lifecycle policy with rapid-fire heavy-handed half-baked major updates that are almost like entirely new versions of Windows under the old Microsoft naming convention. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet  Even you can get it to run properly, there's no guarantee that the next major release won't undo it or create new issues. This new policy is creating driver & firmware havoc in relatively new machines that shipped with an earlier major releases. Under the old Winver naming system, we're probably up to Win16 by now with 1809 with extended Microsoft maintenance support for it ending about a year from now --- only a few months after extended support for Win7 ends , almost 2 years eariler than extended support for Win8x ends!!!
    This new Microsoft lifecycle policy, if left unchanged, might be the open window of opportunity for an alternative GUI to finally break the PC status quo. Accordingly, I've essentially converted my relatively new HP and ACER laptops to LinuxMint GUI. They both now have essentially the same look, feel & most important stability of the last halfway decent Windows version (Win7) only faster. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BlueScreenOfBeth
    BlueScreenOfBeth Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2019
    UPDATE: I sent my computer in under warrenty, and since it passed the windows check, they just sent it back unchanged. It still had the problem. I decided to put Ubuntu on it to see if that fixed the problem, as suggested here. I turn it on for the first time after downloading ubuntu, and it happens again... don't know what to do
    EDIT: I have only gotten to log into ubuntu once because it kept happening on the log in screen. I've gotten about 5 seconds logged in, so far.
  • billsey
    Did you send screenshots to the tech who setup your return for the warranty repair? It's pretty obviously a hardware issue where video memory is getting corrupted and will require a motherboard swap. Switching to a different OS is fine if it's a driver issue, but yours is hardware.
  • Switch12
    Switch12 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same exact screen issues - it's just about 13 months after purchase - hence probably not covered. How annoying!!! Is this really a hardware issues, or is there anything I can do to fix it?? Thanks. 
  • JackE
    edited December 2019
    If not a Win10 update issue (usually fixable with a ControlPanel restore point), it's probably just an LCD video ribbon cable issue in the hinge area from opening and closing the lid too much. Check to see if HDMI out to a TV doesn't show the same behavior. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Switch12
    Switch12 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Thanks JackE. My laptop sits on the desk all day and I hardly open/close the lid though :/  What is the verdict if/when HDMI shows simulates the same problem? The hardware dead? Thanks!
  • JackE
    If the TV screen shows the same behavior, then it's likely a graphics adapter hardware issue. However, I'd also check ControlPanel's restore point app to see if an automatic restore point exists with a date stamp  about when the issue started. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ