I bought the Predator 17 G5-793-79SG and it has no cd Drive or Frostcore

Madline
Madline Member Posts: 4 New User
edited October 2023 in Predator Laptops
hey everyone
  I recently bought 

Predator 17 G5-793-79SG 

As shown in the Videos and the picture it shoude come with a cd room and extrafan ( frostcore ) however mine didnt come with one bur there is a place for it as shown in the pictre but nothere there or nothing to press in the back as shown in the pictures .. does mine doesnt come with those or its missing ? 

[Edited to add model name]

Answers

• Madline
     It has a place but nothing here 
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Maybe your option came with an empty bay that could use for a drive or frostcore purchased separately? Check the specifications with seller. If it says one of them is present, ask him for the missing piece.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Madline
    When i conctact acer they told me your type doesn't come with cd room or the frost core and you cant buy them 
    but guys did you see the second pic ? It has a place for them like an empty bay , anyone konws how i can access this empty bay ? 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder

The area shown here should be a switch that slides to one side to release the inner bay.
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited August 2018
    Madline said:
    When i conctact acer they told me your type doesn't come with cd room or the frost core and you cant buy them 
    but guys did you see the second pic ? It has a place for them like an empty bay , anyone konws how i can access this empty bay ? 
    An empty bay... are you sure this isn't the bay for a secondary disk, esp considering there is no slide switch like @Red-Sand suggested?
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Madline
    Red-Sand said:

The area shown here should be a switch that slides to one side to release the inner bay.
    That what it should be and thats what i know  .. but the thing you are circling in red its just  A piece of rubber   :(
  • Phoenix1966
    Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited August 2018
    According to the tech specs, yours does not come with those options. it also does not appear that those items can be easily added after the fact. This thread mentions a way to get the frostcore to work in a G5 similar to yours. If the seller you bought it from stated in print that they were included, then send it back for a refund.
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer

Hi Madline

The laptop architecture does not have ODD. Moreover, ODD or cooling fan cannot be added additionally to the unit. Above is the base view of laptop. The middle compartment is for accessing storage. There are NO access to the dummy ODD bay. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• HAL2020
    HAL2020 Member Posts: 8 New User
    First, you would have to open up the casing to find out if there is an extra SATA header.  If there is, but there is no secondary board attatched to it, where that drive bay would go (many of the boards have the header\plug, but it's upside down and not close enough to the bay; so they used a small extension board to make it possible to use it as a hot swap bay), you may have the capability, but it was left out of your model for some reason.  Most of the boards DO have the header and the plug, but using it would cause power issues in some models, as they are rated to comply with processor matching power needs.   This might be negligible, I have little experience actually forcing this, I don't suggest it.  But, if you could find one of those sata extension boards on newegg or ebay, you might be able to install it (you need the proper screws as well, 2 of them).  If you don't have the header\plug (some were left off the boards intentionally), you'll probably only see the solder pads, in which case the point is moot (please don't think about modding this)
    If you do see the sata header, it will be solid plastic, not on a wire, but right next to the sata wire for the spare sata drive bay on the bottom of the machine.  If it is there, look for an extension board next to it, that flips the plug over.  If not there, again there is a reason, probably power consumption and current rating on the board.  However, if you want to void any warrantee, go ahead and get the extension, find a take apart tutorial online with pictures to see the orientation of the miniboard.  Lastly, you'll have to acquire a drive caddy, a 9.5mm ODD, and a bezel for the caddy.  Newegg is your friend there.  They have all three.  I don't think they have a frost core.
    Frost core is more for cooling the ram and pci-lane SSD's (M2-sata \ NVME).  There was speculation that it was for cooling the processor, and it only gave a single degree of temperature drop at max speed.  However, some have placed heat-spread pads onto SSD's and found that the Frost Core cools them much faster than just the thermal padding\heatspreader.  Since the ram and M2 slots are so close, it's just as likely this has an effect on ram as well.
This discussion has been closed.