G3-571-77QK Blackscreen/Hanging

Ozyra
Ozyra Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My G3-571-77QK hangs or goes black screen after 5 minutes of starting up. When it goes black screen, the keyboard lights can be turned off or on and the fans are still spinning. It is updated to the current BIOS and using all the recommended drivers from its support page. It all started when I played a game of LoL and it went black screen. After I rebooted, it was really slow and took me a while to get back into the game. When I finally got back into the game, I only had 10-15 fps instead of the 60+. I don't know if that is helpful but any help would be useful. I've tried the battery reset button and disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes and its still happening. My classes start next week so I need this to be working properly.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi, Sorry to know that display goes black after 5 minutes of starting up. As a workaround, I recommended you to perform power drain. To do that, please follow the below steps:-
    1. Unplug AC adapter from laptop. 
    2. Turn off the laptop and there should be no light indication in it. 
    3. Flip the unit and look for a tiny pin hole. You can see a battery symbol next to the pin hole. 
    4. Insert a suitable tool like paper clip or pin to the pinhole and hold it for 30 seconds. By inserting the paper clip, you can feel that you are clicking on something. 
    5. Once 30 seconds is completed, just release the paper clip. 
    6. Flip the unit and power it on & check. 

Also you can try resetting the BIOS settings. To reset BIOS, please follow the below steps:- 
    1. Turn off the laptop. 
    2. Power on the laptop and immediately tap F2 button in your keyboard rapidly. This will open up BIOS settings. 
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

System will reboot. Check your computer performance and display should work as intended. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Ozyra

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Balatekie said:
    Hi, Sorry to know that display goes black after 5 minutes of starting up. As a workaround, I recommended you to perform power drain. To do that, please follow the below steps:-
    1. Unplug AC adapter from laptop. 
    2. Turn off the laptop and there should be no light indication in it. 
    3. Flip the unit and look for a tiny pin hole. You can see a battery symbol next to the pin hole. 
    4. Insert a suitable tool like paper clip or pin to the pinhole and hold it for 30 seconds. By inserting the paper clip, you can feel that you are clicking on something. 
    5. Once 30 seconds is completed, just release the paper clip. 
    6. Flip the unit and power it on & check. 

Also you can try resetting the BIOS settings. To reset BIOS, please follow the below steps:- 
    1. Turn off the laptop. 
    2. Power on the laptop and immediately tap F2 button in your keyboard rapidly. This will open up BIOS settings. 
    3. Press F9 and then Enter to load the default configuration.
    4. Press F10 and then Enter to save and exit.

System will reboot. Check your computer performance and display should work as intended. 
    Sorry for the late reply, I thought I'd get an email when someone replies. Luckily, I did not need my laptop for the first week. I just tried the steps above and it still goes black screen. I'd cannot be a broken display because the audio would go off at the same time as the screen. It is also plugged into the charger. Any other suggestions? 
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Does the same issue happen on battery?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Does the same issue happen on battery?
    Yes it does. I'm going to try staying idle in the bios to see if it'll have the same problem. 
  • Red-Sand
    Hve you installed Acers Intel VGA driver from their download page?

Its very well known that Acers driver works best for the display and the latest windows updates forces a different driver.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    Hve you installed Acers Intel VGA driver from their download page?

Its very well known that Acers driver works best for the display and the latest windows updates forces a different driver.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers
    I think I did but I'll just do it again just to be safe. Also, I did not get a black screen while idle in the bios for about 25 minutes but I would get it 5-10 minutes booted into windows.
  • Red-Sand
    Try to reinstall that driver and if that doesnt work try deleting everything except "layout.ini" in the folder...
    C:/Windows/Prefetch 
    and reboot
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Try to reinstall that driver and if that doesnt work try deleting everything except "layout.ini" in the folder...
    and reboot
    I updated the BIOS to 1.19 and used DDU to uninstall my GPU driver. I reinstalled the Intel and Nvidia GPU drivers from the laptop's driver page. It has been 30 minutes and no black screen. I also left League of Legends open for about 15 minutes as I waited to see if I'll get the error and I still haven't gotten it. I'll try deleting those files if I get a black screen. I'll try it out some more with more demanding programs to see if it will crash.

EDIT: It just went black screen a couple minutes after posting. I will try to delete those files now.
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    and reboot
    Is the layout.ini file in C:/Windows/Prefetch ? If so, I do not have that file.
  • Red-Sand
    You might wanna check if windows auto updated the intel vga driver (it does that even if you install acers sometimes) if it did just select the rollback options in device manager.

If you dont have layout.ini just leave that empty folder and delete the rest
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

Red-Sand said:
    You might wanna check if windows auto updated the intel vga driver (it does that even if you install acers sometimes) if it did just select the rollback options in device manager.

If you dont have layout.ini just leave that empty folder and delete the rest
    I deleted the files within the folder and it still went black screen after 15 minutes. The rollback option in the device manager is grayed out and I can't click it.
  • Red-Sand
    Maybe someone else can chime in with another option, my last suggestion would be to do a Windows reset if the other options didnt work.

If a reset doesnt work I would contact Acer for repair.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Ozyra

Tinkerer

edited August 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Maybe someone else can chime in with another option, my last suggestion would be to do a Windows reset if the other options didnt work.

If a reset doesnt work I would contact Acer for repair.
    Yeah I reset the laptop. It's going into black screen even faster now. I contacted support and they said to send it in for repairs but I can't do it.