Chromebook 731 - Chrome OS is missing or damaged

redbeard45
redbeard45 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
My wife has bought home an Acer c731 chromebook  from her school which is displaying the Chrome OS is missing or damaged message. I got her to bring home another known good working identical model (they were all purchased at the same time) and I followed the instructions to create a recovery media which I used to make a bootable USB. When the screen shows the Chrome OS is missing or damaged message - please plug in a USB, I do this, the white screen and message disappears but the screen goes blank (it has a slight grey / white tinge to it so I know it is going, but no other message comes up. Any thoughts as to how I can recover this would be much appreciated

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    Hi,

After you plugin the USB or you can also do this without USB. Press and hold Ctrl + D.

This will take you to a verification page. Folloethe instructions and the OS will be set-up.
    Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • redbeard45
    Thanks very much for responding so prompty.
    I held CTRL +D when I powered on, I held down the CTRL + D when the white "Chrome OS is Missing or Damaged screen was showing and I held the keys down after inserting the USB. Still a blank (but lightly lit screen) ???? Am I doing something wrong here?
  • Rudy21
    @redbeard45

This looks like an issue with the device. I would recommend you to contact acer support for warranty help.
  • redbeard45
    Really weird but on the weekend, I left the chromebook on for over a day and suddenly, the recovery screen showed up. I have been able to restore and re enroll it into the Chromebook Management system at the school, but why did it take so long to show up? A whiteish grey screen for a day (like every other time I had tried to restore it, and if I hadnʻt accidentally just left it...The next day the recovery screen turned. Unexplainable...but fixed.
  • Rudy21
    @redbeard45

Its good to know that your unit is now working. I believe this unit is a managed device due to which the USB thing did not work. However, this issue seems to be a bug.