Acer AN515-52 Wireless Card dropping packets

Jimster480
Jimster480 Member Posts: 93 Fixer WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
So I have talked about this issue briefly in another thread, but I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem?
Its happened only since windows updated to the newest version... basically the wifi is useless for gaming and drops packets in overwatch, HoTS, etc.
I use a USB Wifi Dongle without any packet loss whatsoever...

I have also updated the driver to the newest driver that came out in June but it didn't make the issue any better.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    Hi,
    Try different DNS address, there are few to choose from, google DNS, open DNS or Cloudflare DNS.
    Go to WiFi Properties, change the DNS address.
    Go to Control panel, Network and Internet, Network Connections, right click your WiFi, click Properties, highlight IPV4 and click Properties, change the address in the next window.
    Google DNS: 8.8.8.8  and 8.8.4.4
    Open DNS: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
    Cloudflare as in my snip.

• Jimster480
    DNS has nothing to do with packet loss while gaming.
    Games are typically UDP and packets are sent to an IP address (thus not requiring a DNS) for the sole purpose of preventing lag in the event of DNS lookups.
    And even the connections were made to domains instead, DNS's cache and that wouldn't cause packet loss once the DNS has returned the name.

Lastly, using the same settings with the external Wifi card (or any other machine in my house) doesn't result in packet loss. Its only specifically with the internal Wifi on the laptop since the last update of windows.
  • Jimster480
    It seems to be working much better now for some reason...