While playing CSGO my computer CPU gets up to 90c on low to medium settings, is this normal?

2»

Comments

• lloyddiviny
    lloyddiviny Member Posts: 10 New User
    This is my passmark benchmark results. The highest temperature on my CPU I got was 88c.
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    edited July 2018
    This is my passmark benchmark results. The highest temperature on my CPU I got was 88c.
    Those results looke quite normal, have you tried other games?
    How does performance looks in them?
    Witcher 3 maybe?
    fortnite?
    Maybe its just csgo problem?
    How your temperatures looke like when browsing internet, watching movies etc?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Here is mine from the same rating.

My power plan is my personal optimized (not performance, and slow scaling up of CPU steps). I cannot put it on performance power plan cos I simply deleted it ( i didn't see a reason for it to be there at all).
    CPU Measured Speed 3.01 GHz [Turbo: 3.81 GHz] <-- my CPU never went past 3.01 in all these benchmarks, and still scored pretty decent CPU mark.

Max temperature recorded: CPU 68c, GPU 60c

Both of ours are pretty at the same rating, except that you have a bit higher on processor cos yours is 8 series and mine is 7 series. So I think this helps resolve yours thoughts that your system is under performing.

My temps are lower cos I have under volted my CPU and I am not sure if you did that.

Detailed rating: https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=105552805275

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • lloyddiviny
    I don't own Witcher 3. YouTube videos and normal web browsing are fine. Its just gaming which gets these super high temps. Above are screenshots fortnite which I have locked at 144fps. I got 86c within the first 1-2 minutes of a match. If I lock it at 60 fps it runs cool but I locked at 144fps to show you what would happen. Below are my setting which Nvidia optimised for me.
  • sri369
    edited July 2018
    144 FPS - does your monitor/screen support that or did you set it at 144?

Also, from your predator sense, I wouldn't recommend running fans at full like that. Get a laptop cooler or a USB fan. Put the fans on auto and turn on cool boost.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • lloyddiviny
    edited July 2018
    The fans are on auto. I know its says custom but its on auto. I have a 60hz monitor so I don't need 144fps, I just wanted to show you that if I play at that frame rate I get really high temps and that is not normal. And coolboost is always on, I never turn it off while its plugged in.
  • M4rdock
    M4rdock Member Posts: 86 Fixer WiFi Icon
    The fans are on auto. I know its says custom but its on auto. I have a 60hz monitor so I don't need 144fps, I just wanted to show you that if I play at that frame rate I get really high temps and that is not normal. And coolboost is always on, I never turn it off while its plugged in.
    Judging by your fortnite FPS, nothing looks really wrong with laptop performance.
    Maybe there is problem with csgo?
    If i were you i would reinstall windows 10, undervolt cpu and use cooling pad.

I think that acer wont help you because it looks like performance-wise is ok.
    If you want to REALLY reduce temps then you need repaste it imo, or follow sri369 guidline, maybee you will se some improvement!
    Good luck!
  • sri369
    1060 with these CPUs can get really high frame rates. And this kind of output means more heat generated. This is pretty normal, not just in this, but in most laptops.
    My work laptop with a 7 series i5 and integrated GPU goes to "hot" when i am doing intensive work (compiling, servers, what not). Given that Predator is a gaming laptop, it would generate lot of heat.
    We should be happy that these few manufacturers like Asus, Acer and such are not actually curtailing the performance of these CPU and GPU to stay at ideal laptop temperatures. They created the beast, it is pretty much up to us how we wish to tame it. Personally, I am happy to have a beast that I can rein in with my customization than have a decapitated beast that can never reach good performance.
    One more thing... 17" tend to cooler than their 15" counterparts cos the added size adds to additional available space inside that could used to creating more airflow.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------