Faulty Helios 300 Hardware?

Options
CRL0312
CRL0312 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Alright, I'll try to make this as short as possible. I've had my Helios 300 since January 22nd 2018, I didn't buy it straight from Acer, I bought it from amazon (I know, scold me) Link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074115BLR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I mainly bought it for the 32GBs of DDR4 (which was incredibly unnecessary). The laptop blew me away, I had never really had a computer with a GeForce 10 series card in it. The laptop was great for about 4 months, but then performance went downhill, but not slightly...drastically. The performance drop didn't really affect my frames too much, maybe a little bit, the problem was mainly crashes, first whatever game I would be playing would crash, then a few seconds later, I'd get a BSoD that usually related to that of VIDEO_INTERNAL_ERROR or VIDEO_SCHEDULER_ERROR or VIDEO_TDR_ERROR. First thing I did was used DDU to clean out all my drivers and freshly install them, but the crashes still happened, so the next thing was temperatures. I went and checked my temps while gaming, average for both CPU and GPU was mid-80s, which is not good of course, so next I made the risky choice of re-pasting, a lot of people were saying it voided warranty (I have a 2-year warranty by the way), others were saying it didn't, so I tested my luck and re-pasted. Re-pasting brought my temps down to the mid-60s while gaming, which is fantastic, but it still didn't solve my crashes. I finally decided to load all of my important stuff onto an external HD and reset the computer. Everything worked fine for about a week, then the crashes returned, this time they weren't just video errors, but now just really random errors and when I looked them up, I usually just got the classic response of "update your drivers". The crashes returned but weren't as spontaneous, some days the laptop would work, some days it wouldn't, and that's what I've been living with about until a week ago when the laptop couldn't even be on for more than 10 minutes without crashing. The issue is obviously annoying, so I checked temps, mid-60s, alright. I had always really knew as if something was internally wrong with the laptop but I just didn't want to face it. I decided to run mdsched.exe and I have hardware issues, I went to the event viewer and I'm getting critical errors every 10 minutes, when I try to re-install my 1060 drivers I sometimes get the response that the corresponding

Answers

• CRL0312
    CRL0312 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options
    This is a continuation of the post above because I apparently don't have the perms to edit my own post...

card doesn't even exist in my laptop. Now at this point you're probably wondering at this point why the hell I haven't contacted support, and that is truthfully because I've heard support is just terrible and I'm scared that I'm just going to get a bad response such as "oh you'll just have to buy a new one" or "over $500 in repair" or just something like that, but I'm finally "manning-up" and I'm considering contacting support because I'm about to go on vacation for about 2 weeks and I could just send the laptop to Acer while I'm on vacation. So, that's why I'm here, to ask the question if it is even worth it to send it to Acer, or if 1.5K just went down the drain in 6 months. If you need a detail that I might have left out just ask me in the comments.

Thanks for any help- 
    Luke
  • Skree
    Skree Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    mid 80° are not bad. It's actually in the norm, i would have not opened the PC, if it has internal sigils or something similar you risk to have the warranty voided.

This said, they can't tell you that they won't help you. Call them and follow these guidelines. A while ago i worked for Apple support, and i have a good grasp of what support guys on the phone or who read your email want or need to do.

Tell them:

-That you completely formatted your computer without restoring a backup
    -Thet you never opened it
    -Don't tell them about that repasting. Just don't.
    -Tell them that the crashes happen before installing any third party software, at the most say "i just install a game and the crashes start", but keep it as simple as possible
    -Repeat clearly that you did a clean system restore and that the issue presents itself immediately

If the person on the other side is not a moron he will open a repair procedure.

If the person on the other side is an ***** he will ask that you restore your system and try again (showing that he didn't even read what you wrote). If this happens resist the urge of flipping him off, wait one day (or six hours or so) and reply stating that you did so and that the issue persists.

Such a level of idiocy is however quite rare. Keep your cool, and all will be fine.
  • Alex97
    Alex97 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options
    What happened next? I have an Acer Predator Helios 300 2018, 17 inch, Core i-8750H, GTX 1060 6GB, and 8GB of RAM @2666MHz, now, my processor scores are mediocre, and I'm suspecting it's the temps, however, at the moment, it is slightly difficult for me to take the laptop to a certified repair center, (coronavirus), so, I can repaste it myself, but I am scared I'll end up losing my warranty and probably faulty hardware... Did you end up losing warranty due to opening it?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Alex97 could u please open a new thread for your own issue in order to get proper help this thread has 2 years old its dead thanks

PS: you will only void your warranty if you have to break any seals/sticker to open it if you dont have any you can do it as many times as you want assuming you dont damage anything in the process also you sid its a 2018 model you warranty its already gone unless you live in the US/CA where the warranty for all 2017/18 models was 2 years the 2019 models and above are 1 year only everywhere all other countries are usually 1 year ITW only 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/