Predator Helios 500 Black/Off Screen on Boot / Windows 10 Login

AlexE
AlexE Member Posts: 41 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,

I recently bought a Helios 500.  Its been pretty good so far, but a couple of 'issues'.

Main one is that around 25% of the time it boots, the Predator logo and sound play, but then the screen goes black.  There's no glow at all, so it seems to be 'off/disabled'. 

I've Googled and found that Antivirus can cause a black screen, so I've removed McAfee and tried/removed Avast, as well as Windows Defender.  It still seems to occasionally boot with a black screen.

I've tried 'restarting the graphics driver' with CTRL-SHIFT-Windows-B, which beeps but screen stays off.

The only way to kick the screen into action is to press the power button to suspend then wake it back up.  That seems to always get the screen working again and shows the Windows 10 login page.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.  I wonder if my laptop is a bit duff and may need replacement?

Cheers

Alex

Best Answer

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Make sure disabling quick startup in the power options solves the problem! Also try to disable some services by pressing windows + r and type msconfig, services, hide microsoft services and disable all! Then go to program startup; open task manager and disable the programs!
    Then do an update of windows using windows update and use the driverbooster to update the drivers of the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Did you remove Norton that came with the 500?
    - Hotel Hero
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Make sure disabling quick startup in the power options solves the problem! Also try to disable some services by pressing windows + r and type msconfig, services, hide microsoft services and disable all! Then go to program startup; open task manager and disable the programs!
    Then do an update of windows using windows update and use the driverbooster to update the drivers of the notebook!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • AlexE
    Hi - thanks for your replies.  Yes, I removed Norton but will try disabling quick startup thanks.
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    I would disagree with the above statement. I have the same laptop and it doesnt have the issues the OP has.
    Additionally using driver booster installs drivers from windows indexed downloads which overwrite Acers custom drivers and may cause more issues then solve.
    -------
    Have you tried checking your reliability history or event logs for any error readouts?
    - Hotel Hero
  • It may try to use the nvidia and intel website to update the video drivers! This is a problem with the video driver!
    The driverbooster will hardly install a wrong driver! Of course it updates the driver using the manufacturer's generic driver, which in my opinion is better than the drivers modified by Acer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• What is the exact model of the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlexE
    Hi all - I will stick with disabling the quick startup for now.  Good to know you don't have this issue Red-Sand.  Yes, I'll hold off upgrading non-Acer drivers for now - partly I'd have less to go on with warranty perhaps.

Its possible disabling quick startup has helped (slowed), but not fixed, my other issue with PSAdminAgent taking up lots of memory.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547483/predator-sense-use-all-free-ram-please-help#latest
  • Red-Sand
    AlexE said:
    Hi all - I will stick with disabling the quick startup for now.  Good to know you don't have this issue Red-Sand.  Yes, I'll hold off upgrading non-Acer drivers for now - partly I'd have less to go on with warranty perhaps.

Its possible disabling quick startup has helped (slowed), but not fixed, my other issue with PSAdminAgent taking up lots of memory.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547483/predator-sense-use-all-free-ram-please-help#latest
    Please check out my post, I have fixed the issue for memory leak in Pred sense/task manager
    - Hotel Hero
  • This is a problem caused by some conflict between the predator sense program and windows 10 version 1803! Download the predator sense 3004 from model PH517-61 and see if it solves the problem! In the meantime uninstall the predator sense that you have installed!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    This is a problem caused by some conflict between the predator sense program and windows 10 version 1803! Download the predator sense 3004 from model PH517-61 and see if it solves the problem! In the meantime uninstall the predator sense that you have installed!
    It's actually caused by the Killer Network app causing a memory leak. 
    Issue remains on 1709 or 1803.
    - Hotel Hero
  • You can also try your friend's suggestion @Red-Sand

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Red-Sand
    You can also try your friend's suggestion @Red-Sand
    I found a fix and posted it to his thread.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Dear @ Red-Sand, did you ever download and install predator sense (3004), which was released on July 24, model PH517-61, to see if it works correctly on windows 10 1803?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlexE
    Hi,  I just tried 3004 and it did not work - same as previous version, just keeps trying to restart.  The temporary fix of stopping the service after 2 attempts stops it getting worse.

Link to 3004 as you suggested - https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7737?b=1

Cheers

Alex
  • AlexE
    PS - laptop seems to be booting ok the last couple of times so I'll mark this as fixed.  Not ideal, but good enough for now.  Thanks for your help.
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    Dear @ Red-Sand, did you ever download and install predator sense (3004), which was released on July 24, model PH517-61, to see if it works correctly on windows 10 1803?
    Yes I did. Unfortunately for me it did not work. It's the killer network service that fails to start and keeps starting a new service when it fails... I doubt it has anything to do with predator sense. Predator sense just keeps reading the service it's designed to and killer network service just keeps replicating which in turn increases Psense ram. If you wait you'll see hundreds of killer services attached to predator sense admin (I forget the name) in task manager.

Not a big deal the services just need to be corrected.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    edited July 2018
    AlexE said:
    PS - laptop seems to be booting ok the last couple of times so I'll mark this as fixed.  Not ideal, but good enough for now.  Thanks for your help.
    Hmmm... I wonder if since quick startup is like hibernation in which it stores data for a fast startup and there seems to be a kind of "air bubble" (super professional description there) perhaps if you were to clear the hibernation cache or wherever the data is stored for quick startup to reset it then the issue might resolve more properly?
    - Hotel Hero
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Red-Sand said:
    Hmmm... I wonder if since quick startup is like hibernation in which it stores data for a fast startup and there seems to be a kind of "air bubble" (super professional description there) perhaps if you were to clear the hibernation cache or wherever the data is stored for quick startup to reset it then the issue might resolve more properly?
    "fast startup" is "stateless hibernation" and does not actually shut down windows. Powering up after shut down with "fast startup" enabled is waking up from hibernation.

To clear hibernate cache... disable hibernation, and re-enable it. Open windows explorer. Check space on windows drive. Disable hibernation. You'll see space increase in the drive. Enable it back.

Also, since the system never actually shuts down, the apps temporary space and memory are never cleared, and could leak (the air bubble you mentioned, aka memory leaks).
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • It may be that doing a quick boot cache cleaning will solve the problem! However, this usually occurs because of a video driver failure, so I recommended using the driverbooster (just as a way to update the notebook drivers) or download the proper drivers from the official sites to see if it solves the problem!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• AlexE
    Hi - Nvidia control panel shows I have latest Nvidia driver.  Doesn't seem to be being intermediated by Acer. 

I gather doing a 'restart' flushes the hibernation cache.  Fast Start only works when you shutdown the PC.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

I'm guessing there is something in a clean boot that kicks the screen into action, possibly even the 144Hz mode gets confused during a 'fast start'.  Though interesting no one else seems to have this exact problem.  I'd prefer to have fast start enabled.

Cheers

Alex