Was looking to upgrade the CPU in my pc Predator G3-710 w/I5-7400 kabylake processor

Turv3y
Turv3y Member Posts: 7 New User
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I originally was going to go for the stock i7-7700 but in Canada that CPU is still $420 cdn.  
Came across the i7-7700k on amazon for $380.  Only problem is I am worried about cooling the thing.   
What kind of CPU cooler can I put in an Acer Predator G3-710?  Can't find a lick of information online and to be quite frank it's getting rather annoying. 

I figured I would be able to upgrade this PC and find information on doing so relatively easy when I seen it was an acer before purchasing.  
Of course I don't have the MOBO to overclock but why spend more on less in the case of the stock i7-7700? 

What are my options for putting a cooler in here?  Any help please?  

My system has a GTX1070 & i5-7400 atm so the CPU I'm finding relatively weak for what the card can do.
I'm not sure if power is going to be an issue or what either with the 7700k, I know the CPU will fit the socket and the bios should support the CPU already.
Using a wattage calculator I should only be in the low 400's if I was to go with this cpu.  But I don't want to cook my pc either.  

Any help would be very welcome and greatly appreciated. 

Thanks a bunch.

Turv3y

Best Answers

• Turv3y
    Answer ✓
    Well rather than risk cooking the inside of my PC I went with a regular i7-7700 w/stock cooler included in that package.  
    It was a slight pain due to the mounting bracket on the back of the MOBO which I was not expecting and it being glued to the rear of the motherboard,
    Thanks for that one Acer.   

I've also managed to add 2 fans to the case,  One exhaust to the back and one intake to the front.   I managed to get the 80mm intake fan connected to the front behind the bezel centered at the 2 or 3 vents at the bottom of the G3 front bezel for "airflow" I guess.   
    I ran the 4 pin cable from the fan through a little slot that's used for nothing and attached it to an open molex cable with an adapter.  

Now since the holes could not line up in the font of the chassis properly for 4 screws and you obviously do not want to have your fan wiggling I screwed in the top two screws from inside the case and fixed the two bottoms with 2 zip ties.   I must say the temps I'm getting now after upgrading to a better presumably hotter CPU all around are much better.

CPU idle is at 29 deg C and under a pretty heavy load my CPU does not go above 64-65 deg C and my GPU GTX1070 29-30 on idle & 65-68 under heavy load of 95%+ usage.   The intake apparently seems to be doing its job even though it was a little tricky to figure out how to get it on there and whatnot.

• Turv3y
    Answer ✓
    15-20 mins after boot

Answers

• Turv3y
    Sorry, I am also already in the process of adding an exhaust fan to the back of the PC as well to help get the temps down in the case overall.
  • Turv3y
    Answer ✓
    Well rather than risk cooking the inside of my PC I went with a regular i7-7700 w/stock cooler included in that package.  
    It was a slight pain due to the mounting bracket on the back of the MOBO which I was not expecting and it being glued to the rear of the motherboard,
    Thanks for that one Acer.   

I've also managed to add 2 fans to the case,  One exhaust to the back and one intake to the front.   I managed to get the 80mm intake fan connected to the front behind the bezel centered at the 2 or 3 vents at the bottom of the G3 front bezel for "airflow" I guess.   
    I ran the 4 pin cable from the fan through a little slot that's used for nothing and attached it to an open molex cable with an adapter.  

Now since the holes could not line up in the font of the chassis properly for 4 screws and you obviously do not want to have your fan wiggling I screwed in the top two screws from inside the case and fixed the two bottoms with 2 zip ties.   I must say the temps I'm getting now after upgrading to a better presumably hotter CPU all around are much better.

CPU idle is at 29 deg C and under a pretty heavy load my CPU does not go above 64-65 deg C and my GPU GTX1070 29-30 on idle & 65-68 under heavy load of 95%+ usage.   The intake apparently seems to be doing its job even though it was a little tricky to figure out how to get it on there and whatnot.

• Turv3y
    Answer ✓
    15-20 mins after boot
  • MustardTiger707
    MustardTiger707 Member Posts: 1 New User
    How are your temps so low even when under load, my pc is very similar, it's got an i7 7700 and a GTX 1080. I mounted a fan in the same place you did in between the case and the front bezel but it hasn't effected my temperatures at all, most likely because of the hard drive bay blocking all the air flow, did you do anything with the hard drive bay at all so that you would get better temps on the GPU?
  • JMMARTINEZ
    JMMARTINEZ Member Posts: 2 New User
    POR FAVOR , COMPARTA COMO LOGRO BAJAR LA TEMPERATURA  A 28° YO ACTUALMENTE CON EL MISMO EQUIPO ESTOY EN 75 A 80°; HELP...