G9-793 with external GPU

Options
Drosera
Drosera Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I'm *kinda* happy with my laptop performance. But for some reasons, I need to upgrade the GPU.
Since the GPU is soldered to the motherboard and the laptop itself has thunderbolt port, I'm looking for eGPU. Would it be possible and has anyone tried this option?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Sure it's possible. Might send a PM and ask the OP @asad814 in this thread what he finally settled upon.  https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/540971/predator-g9-793-type-c-port  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    currently i am using 4 lanes pcie 3 interface egpu...with gtx 1080. so far its working fine :)
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    There you go @Drosera Thanks @asad814 ! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drosera
    Drosera Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Fantastic! Could you @asad814 tell us about your setup (enclosure, 1080 model,....)? I'm happy with [most of] my laptop, which runs on GTX 1070. But it's a mobile version and sometimes intense games may feel lagging with mobile GPU.
  • asad814
    asad814 Member Posts: 371 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    yes currently i am using razer core V2 which i bought from amazon and msi gtx 1080 OC......its working fine till now :)
  • Arrhenius
    Arrhenius Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Are you getting 1080 performances though? I heard that the external adapters for Thunderbolt, do take a toll on performances, up to 40%.

It may be faster than the stock card in the laptop, but it may not be as fast as the same card was connected on the PCI-e 16X on a regular motherboard. If the difference is not noticeable, then it is a good thing. External cards are a great way to keep your machine updated for many years.
  • RIXTRIX
    RIXTRIX Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    asad814 what PREDATOR LAPTOP ARE YOU USING WITH YOUR EGPU?
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    RIXTRIX said:
    asad814 what PREDATOR LAPTOP ARE YOU USING WITH YOUR EGPU?
    Predator G9-793, as stated in the thread name.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!