No low battery warning

Options
CosmicDust
CosmicDust Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives
I already have the low battery and critical battery notifications set to "on" in advanced power options. It's been doing this for a while, but it didn't when I first got the laptop. Really frustrating to have it just unexpectedly shut down with no warning.

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    CosmicDust 
    >>Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue. Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.

>>Please open device manager click “Battery” and under Battery, please click “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery”. Now, do a right click on it, then click “Uninstall”. Confirm that you would like to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. After the uninstallation process, please restart your computer. As soon as you restart your computer, the Windows will automatically install the driver again. Please check your battery icon on the right bottom side of your Windows screen to see if it is charging.

>> Also, Restore the Power Plan Settings to Default and configure it.
    You can restore the default settings by selecting Balanced, Power saver and High Performance on the drop-down menu at the top of the Power Options window. Press the Restore plan defaults button, and click the Yes option to confirm.
    Then go to power option" > change advance power settings >there select the profile you want to active( power saver ,high performance etc.). Then scroll down to "battery" expand it and find "low battery notification" and turn  "on" for both "on battery" and "plugged in"  and you will done.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • meyoung02
    meyoung02 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I already have the low battery and critical battery notifications set to "on" in advanced power options. It's been doing this for a while, but it didn't when I first got the laptop. Really frustrating to have it just unexpectedly shut down with no warning.
    I know this is a post from several months ago, but I just wanted to share my experience.  I have an Acer Aspire laptop that I purchased in Dec. 2013.  I'm sure the low-battery warning used to work, but for the past at least year or so, I was also having a problem with it just shutting down with no warning.  It got so that if I was working using just the battery power, I'd watch the battery level carefully, but it would still go from a decent amount of a battery power to shutting down with no warning without even getting very low.  Fast-forward to a week or so ago.  I noticed that the plastic casing of my laptop was starting to separate and I couldn't figure out why.  My husband said the screws were probably just loose, but when I tried to tighten the case it wouldn't work.  He took the back off of the laptop and discovered the issue - the battery was so swollen it was about ready to explode - so swollen, in fact, that it was pushing apart the plastic casing on my laptop on one side.  That makes me wonder if this issue with the computer shutting down without a low-battery warning was an early warning sign that this battery was defective.  So, please, get your laptop in for service or, if you do these things yourself, take the back off of it (make sure it's shut down and unplugged first) and just visually inspect the battery to see if it looks swollen.  If it is swollen, do NOT plug it back in or try to charge it or use it without getting that battery replaced.  Swollen laptop batteries are an explosion hazard.
  • CosmicDust
    CosmicDust Member Posts: 42 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    meyoung02 said:
    I know this is a post from several months ago, but I just wanted to share my experience.  I have an Acer Aspire laptop that I purchased in Dec. 2013.  I'm sure the low-battery warning used to work, but for the past at least year or so, I was also having a problem with it just shutting down with no warning.  It got so that if I was working using just the battery power, I'd watch the battery level carefully, but it would still go from a decent amount of a battery power to shutting down with no warning without even getting very low.  Fast-forward to a week or so ago.  I noticed that the plastic casing of my laptop was starting to separate and I couldn't figure out why.  My husband said the screws were probably just loose, but when I tried to tighten the case it wouldn't work.  He took the back off of the laptop and discovered the issue - the battery was so swollen it was about ready to explode - so swollen, in fact, that it was pushing apart the plastic casing on my laptop on one side.  That makes me wonder if this issue with the computer shutting down without a low-battery warning was an early warning sign that this battery was defective.  So, please, get your laptop in for service or, if you do these things yourself, take the back off of it (make sure it's shut down and unplugged first) and just visually inspect the battery to see if it looks swollen.  If it is swollen, do NOT plug it back in or try to charge it or use it without getting that battery replaced.  Swollen laptop batteries are an explosion hazard.
    Wow, that is scary! Thank you for posting your experience that could possibly save somebody else from having their battery explode. I did end up taking mine in for another reason and was told the battery is going dead. It is now dying at 50% on battery so I am ordering a new one.
  • Lennard0Surreal
    Lennard0Surreal Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    CosmicDust 
    >>Try to perform a simple power reset and check the issue. Shutdown the laptop. Disconnect the charger. Please check for a battery reset PIN hole at the bottom of the device.The reset hole would have a battery symbol next to it. Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds. Let the computer sit for 5 minutes with no power. Reconnect the charger and power On the laptop.

>>Please open device manager click “Battery” and under Battery, please click “Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery”. Now, do a right click on it, then click “Uninstall”. Confirm that you would like to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery. After the uninstallation process, please restart your computer. As soon as you restart your computer, the Windows will automatically install the driver again. Please check your battery icon on the right bottom side of your Windows screen to see if it is charging.

You can restore the default settings by selecting Balanced, Power saver and High Performance on the drop-down menu at the top of the Power Options window. Press the Restore plan defaults button, and click the Yes option to confirm.
    Then go to power option" > change advance power settings >there select the profile you want to active( power saver ,high performance etc.). Then scroll down to "battery" expand it and find "low battery notification" and turn  "on" for both "on battery" and "plugged in"  and you will done.

This helped me a lot! Been suffering for over a year and the first post to actually work! Created an Acer account just to say thanks!
  • paris999
    paris999 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Sharanji said:
    CosmicDust 

Thank you very much for this very detailed answer!