Cannot Download BIOS update 2.03 for SF315-41G

MRYNN
MRYNN Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Link gets a 404 page error
Either the update has caused so many problems, its been pulled, or the URL - server response is out of action. Still , I would like to know if I should persist in checking the link, or should I wait until I get an email notification. Even though I bought the machine as a "Display Model" at Sydney JB HI-FI World Square store on 28th June 2018, I'm told by your site that its "Out of Warranty", so I can't even inform support to tell me if the BIOS update is good, will or when will be available. It sure needs updating, because when I boot from ARCH LINUX, the dmesg from the boot log displays a few lines for "Firmware Error" for ACPI things. Told the salesperson that I wanted to run linux as my main use OS.  Boots OK, Suspend, Hibernate options had to be disabled, otherwise it shuts down while powered from main, and nothing can wake it up.
Your ACER engineers really ought to support LINUX better, because it really be a good test  for getting things right in the BIOS. Adequate testing is really important if you're competing to be a world class company.

Answers

• MRYNN
    Thank you , the link now works. The next problem I have is that the bios update will not apply to my SF315-41G. I run the insydeh2o update from the windows 10 boot, it shows that I can do the update if I click OK.  The blue bar quickly moves across, the machine reboots without any further message. On reboot, it gets a "secure image invalid" message, press any key to reset, and after this is found to still have the old bios 2.01    I am ***** off at these sort of arrangements that obviously favor Microsoft Money Magics, that I have cut down to smaller partition size, and weighs against the alternative rEFInd boot into Arch Linux that I have setup. Really the bios update should have nothing to do with whatever software I have choosen to setup, nor any particular changes in boot or image settings that I feel I am legally allowed to do. Regardless, there are no useful instructions (actually none at all!) as to what infraction I have done is  actually causing the error message, and so I have no idea as to what would actually satisfy the bios update process and make it successful. Disable or re-enable secure boot makes no difference.
  • MRYNN
    Thank you , the link now works. The next problem I have is that the bios update will not apply to my SF315-41G. I run the insydeh2o update from the windows 10 boot, it shows that I can do the update if I click OK.  The blue bar quickly moves across, the machine reboots without any further message. On reboot, it gets a "secure image invalid" message, press any key to reset, and after this is found to still have the old bios 2.01    I am annoyed at these sort of arrangements that obviously favor Microsoft Money Magics, that have been applied as anti-competitive practices without proof of increasing real usefullness.  Maybe the update is complaining that I have cut Windows 10 down to use a smaller partition size on the SSD, and installed an rEFInd on the EFI partition to boot into Arch Linux that I have setup as a new partition on the SSD. The bios update should have nothing to do with or care about whatsoever software I have chosen to setup, nor any particular changes in bios, boot or image settings that I feel I am legally allowed to do. Regardless, there are no publically available useful instructions provided , not even general ACER design policy on this matter (actually none at all!) as to what infraction or change I have done is actually causing the error message, and so I have no idea as to what would actually satisfy the bios update process and make it successful. Disable or re-enable secure boot makes no difference.
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Which Bios version is installed right now?
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • noy030887
    noy030887 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have a problem when updating the BIOS to version 2.03, RAM speed drops to 1333 MHz, I downgrade to version 1.04 the RAM speed returns to 2400 MHz
    1. BIOS Version 2.03

2. BIOS Version 1.04

• MRYNN
    edited November 2018
    Its nice to be able to report that I was able to install bios update 2.11 Okay.  on the SF315-41G, not like before, with 2.03.  No surprise the installation reset - enabled the secureboot and did away with my rEFInd boot entry. I managed to restore to what I'd set up afterwords. I've had some face scratching while looking at the linux kernel boot log now, there are still some entries that suggest linux kernel has some disgreement with bios, or the hardware.
    Like -
    Firmware Bug: AMD-Vi : IOAPIC[4] not in IVRS table
    Firmware Bug: AMD-Vi : IOAPIC[5] not in IVRS table
    AMD-Vi:: No Southbridge IOAPIC found
    AMD-Vi: Disabling interrupt remapping.
    I have no idea of possible significance or implications. Maybe this is just fine.

Everything carries on normally after that.

On Gnome 3 wayland their seems to be a recent bug , not related to bios such that 1) can't make built in screen the primary screen. 2) can't have mirror or joined display, with 2 screens at once.  This is Gnome-3/Waylannd problem for sure. All the X11 - desktops all fine for 2 screen support, no problem, including the Gnome 3 Classic desktop. Using Arch Linux stock up to date distribution.
    There have been as yet no freezes/crashes since the upgrade. I was getting a crash every so often associated with ongoing streaming video, and mouse moving. Time will tell.