SW713-51GNP Fn Lock on Switch 7

Options
2»

Answers

• IvanaGyro
    IvanaGyro Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Now is June 2020. I bought a Switch 7, which was released in 2017, two weeks ago. Three years passed, but Acer has not fixed this fatal error.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    Fatal? Does this mean your machine is dead? If it doesn't work, immediately return it to the vendor/seller as defective or an exchange or refund before the vendor's RMA returns policy expires. Usually only a few weeks. ACER warranty repair will take longer if the machine doesn't work. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The correct behavior is to provide the media function when the keys are pressed by themselves and to provide the F key function when pressed in concert with the Fn key. They have not changed this behavior since the introduction of the model. Does yours do something different? Mine will occasionally get confused with regards to the NumLk, but otherwise works as they designed.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • IvanaGyro
    IvanaGyro Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @JackE s

Sorry about that I exaggerate too much to consider this strange feature as an error. I just don't like the feature of locking the Fn key.

@billsey

My last laptop was bought in 2013. It is also manufactured by Acer. At then, the F function keys didn't default to the media functions. I prefer the original design.

I just contacted the technical support in Taiwan a few minutes ago. The support told me that Acer has not released any version of BIOS for SW713-51GNP to switch the default behaviour of Fn key, and Acer doesn't have any plan to provide this function.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>Acer doesn't have any plan to provide this function.>>>

That's probably because not enough users like you or me are complaining to ACER employees about it. I suggest that you document  your complaint in writing via email to either ACER technical or customer support. If my laptop model defaulted in this  way with no way to change it, I'd certainly consider it needlessly annoying and complain about it to my regional ACER headquarters. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ