Aspire E5-575G - No Bootable Device... sometimes.

TRebello
TRebello Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello all!

I would just like to quickly begin that I absolutely love my Aspire E5-575G and it really is a nice laptop. 

The only issue I have with it is that on some occasions...it just won't boot!

On 98/100 boots, the laptop jumps right into Windows and you can really feel that the SSD is doing it's magic. On the other 2/100 boots, I get the image above. 

Some things I have noticed---this only seems to happen after the laptop has been sitting for quite some time. If my laptop is in a bag for a week and I take it out to use it, I may get this message. Because of this, I have considered that the laptop may just not have had enough juice to fire up the SSD. To rule this out, I ensured that the laptop was connected to a charger for ~10 minutes before booting, and I still received this error message. I will restart the laptop over and over again until it begins to work correctly. I have no set time frame for how long it takes to go back to normal, it just eventually does.

Another strange item I wanted to mention is that I have seen Windows alert me to errors found on the drive. From my understanding, this was very typical of an HDD but this would be unusual for an SSD. Perhaps I have received a faulty SSD?

My 1 year warranty is up in September so I am unsure of how to proceed. Should I send it in for repairs? I would hate to have to wipe my OS and reinstall all my software for nothing if that is the case. I suspect it could be the motherboard, the connection between the motherboard and the SSD,the SSD itself, or perhaps just a bad image of Windows. All four of those items are a nightmare to troubleshoot.

Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited July 2018
    This tip does not work when ssd or hd is in gpt format!
    Use the crystaldiskinfo to check how the hd and ssd are!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TRebello

Tinkerer

I have verified the boot order and I have verified that the SSD with Windows on it is indeed set to boot first as intended. 
  • TRebello

Tinkerer

This tip does not work when ssd or hd is in gpt format!
    Use the crystaldiskinfo to check how the hd and ssd are!
    I have verified the disk via crystaldiskinfo and it reported health status as Good. I will continue running this intermittently to see if the health changes.
  • TRebello

Tinkerer

I seem to be encountering issues more frequently. The pictures below are what I have captured on some boot-ups.

• The image is bad! What is the presenting error code? Did you try to update the drivers using the driverbooster to see if this is a driver problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • TRebello

Tinkerer

The image is bad! What is the presenting error code? Did you try to update the drivers using the driverbooster to see if this is a driver problem?
    It appears that I can no longer boot into the operating system at all. 

I have tried doing a system restore to two restore points, both failed, and a startup repair which also failed.

I would normally agree with your assessment regarding the image, but that first picture I showed seems to be indicative of an issue worse than software doesn't it?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,716 Trailblazer
    edited August 2018
    Did this notebook come with original factory SD or HDD? Did you check if the ssd is properly connected in the slot? Have you tried installing windows 10 with an iso from microsoft's website? What is the ssd model? Has ssd firmware been updated? What version of bios in the notebook?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• TRebello

Tinkerer

Did this notebook come with original factory SD or HDD? Did you check if the ssd is properly connected in the slot? Have you tried installing windows 10 with an iso from microsoft's website? What is the ssd model? Has ssd firmware been updated? What version of bios in the notebook?
    This notebook came with an M.2 SSD. It is indeed properly connected in the slot. I have not tried installing windows 10 with an ISO from Microsoft's site as I did not want to miss out on Acer's software built into the factory image. The SSD model is a Micron 256gb M.2 MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABYY.

I am not sure what you mean by updating SSD firmware. Do you do that in the BIOS? The BIOS version is v1.27.
  • When the "no bootable device" image appears, make sure the bios settings are changed to legacy mode automatically, or do you still remain in uefi mode? If they are changed to legacy mode automatically, the rtc battery may be weak, which will cause the bios to return to its default settings!
    To check the version of your bios, go to cmd as administrator and type wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion! There is a 1.32 version on the acer site! https://www.acer.com/ac/pt/BR/content/support-product/6737?b=1
    However it is possible that the problem is not in the bios!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• KaushikTambe95
    KaushikTambe95 Member Posts: 1 New User
    So as a noob at this I was scared too as I got this pop-up after my pc went into hibernation, so I plugged in the charger and waited for a while.

I accessed the bios and just changed the boot mode to Legacy from UEFI and it worked. It booted exactly where it was left on notepad++
  • TRebello

Tinkerer

I wanted to follow up on this. I ended up sending in the machine in for a repair at no cost since I was under warranty. Tech support notified me that they did find faulty hardware involved (they were not specific) and was replaced.

I have not had an issue with the laptop since.