CPU#3 soft lockup on Linux OS

olividir
olividir Member Posts: 2 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an annoying problem. Very often when I boot to my new Acer Aspire 3 A315-41 laptop, it hangs with the message
```
soft lockup - CPU#3 stuck for 23s! [systemd-udevd:277]
```
Also, when I go through the journalctl, I very often find following error:
```
AMD-Vi unable to write to IOMMU perf counter
```
I am running Antergos Linux (Arch Linux) now, but for the short time I used Windows, there were no problems.

With hope for a solution.

Best Answer

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    What was the original factory-installed operating system on your machine? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• olividir
    olividir Member Posts: 2 New User
    Answer ✓
    It was Windows 10

I seem to have found a fix for my problem in a thread at level1 tech (link: https://forum.level1techs.com/t/ryzen-vega-laptop-pcie-bus-error/124661/60 )
    The computer is a bit less power efficient but I have the operating system that I want.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    Good for you! Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Gawain
    Gawain Member Posts: 373 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    just an fyi: if it's chomping away on your battery, it's probably a good idea to investigate whether cpu frequency regulation is active ('cause otherwise your cpu will be working at max frequency for any call and that'll make it a lot less power efficient)
  • tkalfaoglu
    tkalfaoglu Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

I had the same issue, I had to use a tonn of kernel parameters to bypass the problem.
    Acer most likely never tested this laptop or its BIOS with Linux..

• tkalfaoglu
    tkalfaoglu Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    Weird.. it would not let me edit my own comment.. anyway here is my command line in /etc/sysconfig/grub file:
    Not sure if all of them are still necessary.. They were needed some kernels ago.. but they work with 4.20.14-200.fc29.x86_64 right now.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="resume=UUID=5d1e3899-cc67-4b39-8e26-633f1ce044c9 rcu_nocbs=0-7 ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2 pti=off"

This is for a Nitro 5 btw..