How should I correct severe discoloration in my Acer H243H monitor??

naeramarth1
naeramarth1 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives
Just bought a used Acer H243H 24" monitor on 5 Miles for $20.
My goal was to use this as an extension monitor for my laptop.
The display is severely discolored, presenting hues of blue, pink, green, yellow, and red.
White is for sure displayed as pink, however all other colors / hues are seemingly random.
All colors presented are in even vertical columns, giving a striped texture covering the entire screen.
The placement is off center, and doesn't appear to be in the correct resolution.
Despite all of this, the menu options on the monitor itself are presented perfectly, as well as the monitor start up showing the Acer logo.
From these symptoms, I've been able to deduce that the problem does not lie in my laptop or the HDMI output in it.
The problem does not lie in the HDMI cord itself, as I've used another functioning one to no avail.
The problem does not lie in the monitor physically, as the menu and start up displays are perfect.
The connections are secured, so loose connection discoloration is out of the equation.
The remaining variable I see could be that the input on the monitor is damaged in some way.
I find this unlikely because the monitor was barely used, and it was used gently.
Outside of this information is beyond me.
I haven't had any luck finding any symptoms even close to mine, let alone the exact same problem.
If someone could please offer some assistance it would be much appreciated!!

Additional information: The monitor has not been used in some time.
                                    The monitor sat in this man's office space for an indefinite amount of time.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    naeramarth1 

The most common cause of LCD monitor discolouration is misconfiguration. 
    Have you checked by connecting the monitor to another computer?
    Also, have you checked the monitor by using other ports DVI-D, HDMI, VGA?
    What is the full model number of your laptop and the operating system installed in it?

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    naeramarth1 

The most common cause of LCD monitor discolouration is misconfiguration. 
    Have you checked by connecting the monitor to another computer?
    Also, have you checked the monitor by using other ports DVI-D, HDMI, VGA?
    What is the full model number of your laptop and the operating system installed in it?

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    There is also the possibility that the cable(s) going between the motherboard in the monitor and the display itself have cracked wires internally. That can often show up as repeating color 'gotchas' across the screen. Unlike with the old CRT designs the pixels are directly accessed with crossing parallel signals (# for a 2x2 example). Cracked or broken wires can affect one side or both sides of the signals.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • naeramarth1
    naeramarth1 Member Posts: 2 New User
    @Sharanji
    I apologize for the obscenely late response, but yes, connecting the monitor to another computer actually worked, and the monitor displays just fine!!
    So, this leaves another problem with my laptop's HDMI port.
    The model number of my laptop is F402B.
    The laptop runs on Windows 10.