Is there a problem with my laptop?

vito71
vito71 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
I have just bought Acer an515-51 gaming laptop with gtx 1050 ti graphics card. I tried to play some games with it. My battery was at %100 when i started gaming (i play plugged in) and after 30 minutes of gaming session i have realised my battery went to %94. I am using windows' maximum performance mode and i am concerned if there is a problem with my laptop. Should i send my laptop to service or is this normal? Thanks.

Best Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    vito71 
    This is normal. High Performance Power Plan is  high-end configuration running directly on power, and I will not still recommend this mode for Laptops as it will consume a lot of battery, but if you are sure you want it, you can use it for your best gaming experience.

High Performance mode doesn’t lower your CPU’s speed when it isn’t being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen brightness. Other components, such as your Wi-Fi or disk drive, may also not go into power-saving modes.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • vito71
    Answer ✓
    I am more worried about my overall battery life. I dont want my battery to be working constantly and decreasing its capabilites. I have heard that when the battery is full, power from the adapter is used directly and it doesn't wear out the battery. So what should i do to not wear out my battery?
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    vito71 
    There’s no way to “overcharge” these batteries. When you get to 100% charge and leave your laptop plugged in, the charger will stop charging the battery. The laptop will just run directly off the power cable. After the battery discharges a bit, the charger will kick into gear again and top the battery off. There’s no risk of damaging the battery by charging it over its capacity.  

Having a battery fully discharged for an extended period can put it into a deep discharge state, from which it might never recover.  

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.  

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.  

Here's the weblink from Acer on how to charge and care for your battery 

Answers

• Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    vito71 
    This is normal. High Performance Power Plan is  high-end configuration running directly on power, and I will not still recommend this mode for Laptops as it will consume a lot of battery, but if you are sure you want it, you can use it for your best gaming experience.

High Performance mode doesn’t lower your CPU’s speed when it isn’t being used, running it at higher speeds most of the time. It also increases screen brightness. Other components, such as your Wi-Fi or disk drive, may also not go into power-saving modes.

• vito71
    Answer ✓
    I am more worried about my overall battery life. I dont want my battery to be working constantly and decreasing its capabilites. I have heard that when the battery is full, power from the adapter is used directly and it doesn't wear out the battery. So what should i do to not wear out my battery?
  • Sharanji
    Answer ✓
    vito71 
    There’s no way to “overcharge” these batteries. When you get to 100% charge and leave your laptop plugged in, the charger will stop charging the battery. The laptop will just run directly off the power cable. After the battery discharges a bit, the charger will kick into gear again and top the battery off. There’s no risk of damaging the battery by charging it over its capacity.  

Having a battery fully discharged for an extended period can put it into a deep discharge state, from which it might never recover.  

Leaving your laptop plugged in will not cause short term damage, but if you only ever use it on AC power you’ll almost certainly find that after a year the battery’s capacity has been significantly reduced. Similarly, if you only ever use it on battery power you’ll get through the battery’s discharge cycles quicker.  

So, the best solution is something of a compromise between the two: use it on battery power some days, and keep it plugged in on others. And in all cases, you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t get too hot.  

Here's the weblink from Acer on how to charge and care for your battery