How often should i clean out my predator helios 300.

Levimahel
Levimahel Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Couple months ago i opened it up and cleaned out everything and oh man the fans were dirty. after putting everything back together a realized the air flow was much better and a massive increase in performance. But now the problem is back stuttering ingame bad air flow and it hasn't even been that long since i have opened it. the problem might also be that the i need to apply a newer and more efficient thermal past to keep it even cooler while gaming. i don't want to keep opening it every 2 or 3 months.

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited July 2018
    Laptops are built to endure to quite some extent. So if you have your laptop at normal clean home/office environment, you shouldn't need to clean it every 2-3 months. I had an ASUS RoG earlier, and it came with a Fan Checker software that prompted me clean the fans every 2000 hours. Now to calculate...
    assuming you use laptop for
     6 hours a day for 22 days (week days) - 142 hours
     12 hours a day for 8 days (weekends) - 96 hours
    This totals up to 238 hours a month.
    Let us add some 20% buffer to this, and round this off to 300 hours a month.

At 300 hours a month, it would take approximately 7 months to hit the 2000 hours mark. So you could aim to clean the fans at about 6-12 time frame, depending on how dusty your environment is, and how long you use it.

For me, during my use of my earlier laptop for about 6 hours, i don't recall cleaning the fans more than once a year.

Also it would help to lift the laptop base a bit higher to allow more cleaner air to go through it. I pushed mine up by about an inch by adding felt pads to its 4 corners.

By the way, i installed this software on my G3-572 too so i am reminded at regular intervals.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045