Z271 g-sync brightness flicker

mattg1919
mattg1919 Member Posts: 1 New User
I sent my z271 in for repair a few weeks ago due to the rapid brightness flicker when g-sync is on. Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OgZKYYArZc

It was returned to me with a repair report stating the panel had been replace and all was working well. However, it's still got the same problem. At this point I can't be bothered to deal with Acer regarding this issue any more. All I can say is if you find your monitor has this problem, just return it for a refund. 

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Hi@mattg1919

This seems to be happening not only with Acer monitor buton every monitor from all manufacturers of monitors are saying it's an NVIDIA G-Sync driver issue. Disabling G-Sync resolves the flickering problem. This isn't a one off as nearly everyone is reporting it and the people that don't notice it are the only ones not reporting it. 

Certain frame rates cause the backlight to flicker/vary in intensity. At ~30fps-40fps (depends on the panel), G-Sync starts buffering frames and doubling refresh-rate. It's working as intended. All of this, is exacerbated by low-refresh backlight problems. Many panels simply cannot refresh cleanly below 40hz or so, without the flickering as they lack the persistence to do so.
    You may try the below mentioned steps : 
    Try to tinkere with 
    Keeping Gsync on the fullscreen option, not full and windowed option.
    Power management mode in prefer max performance.
    Preferred refresh rate at highest available.
    Vertical sync is set to ON.

Also try to click on restore defaults with the restore button beneath global settings with the little nvidia logo and not at the top right of the window.

From the amount of complaints about this from many different monitors from different manufacturers can only mean ONE thing... G-Sync isn't working as intended... Sure I guess (based on the amount of people complaining) that it's not all the monitors, but probably due to some faulty G-Sync modules in the monitors affected..but the fact that NVidia just flat out ignores it is..

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • mkozlowski
    mkozlowski Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sharanji said:
    Hi@mattg1919

This seems to be happening not only with Acer monitor buton every monitor from all manufacturers of monitors are saying it's an NVIDIA G-Sync driver issue. Disabling G-Sync resolves the flickering problem. This isn't a one off as nearly everyone is reporting it and the people that don't notice it are the only ones not reporting it. 
    (...)
    I have created an account just to say 'thank you'. Played Odyssey with this horrible light flickering, then, after turning off G-sync monitor started to act as it should be. I believe it was related to my 50-60 fps framerate. My GTX 1060 is not intended for 144fps/144Hz G-sync gaming in Ubisoft games :). To all You guys, whenever u're not able to hit stable 60> fps just don't bother with g-sync, turn it off for this particular title, worked for me...
  • illini47
    illini47 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited November 2021
    Sharanji said:
    Hi@mattg1919

(...)
    I have created an account just to say 'thank you'. Played Odyssey with this horrible light flickering, then, after turning off G-sync monitor started to act as it should be. I believe it was related to my 50-60 fps framerate. My GTX 1060 is not intended for 144fps/144Hz G-sync gaming in Ubisoft games :). To all You guys, whenever u're not able to hit stable 60> fps just don't bother with g-sync, turn it off for this particular title, worked for me...
    How did you turn on/off G Sync for Acer Predator Z271 Monitor? I don't have an tab in the Nvidia Control Panel for G Sync. Please help