Flash Bios RL85

Kaniel
Kaniel Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Hi all, 

I want to ask about Bios Flash without an OS because I had a failure Bios update so I have nothing in my RL85 just open it listen to the noise of the fans and no keyboard work and nothing work... please help

Answers

• Mick0411
    Mick0411 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I had the same issue afew months ago .... here is what I did to fix it.  There are links to the parts required, eprom writer etc.

Programmer video (instructions):

*****remember drivers & swap cables around & verify

Bright red light required on programmers for drivers

1. Ordered a SPI programmer and a Fitting cable for it.

2. Downloaded a SPI programmer Software and Windows 10 USB drivers for the programmer. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the links here. I'm sure you will find something ;)

3. Installed USB Driver for Windows 10. Don't know if this is really necessary.

4. Disassembled the Acer RL85 so I have acces to the mainboard. Removed battery, CMOS and RAM.

5. Attach the cable to the USB programmer, be sure you will take the Connection Points in the back (not the ones which are closer to the USB Port).

6. Make sure the Jumper on the programmer is on PIN 1 and 2. You can see the PIN Numbers by turning the programmer around. By Default it should be already correct.

7. Connect the programmer to any USB Port on your Computer where the Programming Software and the drivers are installed.

8. Search for the EEPROM on your Acer RL85. It is marked with SPI and connect the other side of the Programmer cable to the EEPROM (This is the side with the Clip ;)). SPI should be Close to the Card Reader.

9. Make sure the Clip is correctly connected to the EEPROM and every elecric line is connected.

10. Start the programmer and make sure that in the lower right Corner "Device state connected" appears. If not the connection is not fitting correctly or you have to turn the Clip 180 degrees and attach it again.

11. To check the final connection press "Detect Chip" in the programmer. If nothing will be shown your connection is faulty. Otherwise you will get back two chips. Choose the first one.

12. Press "Read" and save your current BIOS.

13. Download ther acer.bin from jcd69.

14. Load the acer.bin with the programmer and press write. Now the acer.bin will be flashed to your EEPROM.

15. Disconnect the cable and put your RL85 together again. Set the CMOS to normal state.

16. Boot into Windows and download the most current BIOS Version from Acer. NOW USE THE FLASH.BAT LIKE DISCRIBED IN THE MANUAL

17. Device is now fully updated with the current BIOS Version of acer.