Error messages relating to running scripts

Options
eljay71
eljay71 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives
Hello, I am a "silver surfer" and new here. I would appreciate any help that anyone could offer in order to get my 7 weeks old Acer Aspire XC-780 desktop PC running smoothly again.
I guess that screen grabs are the only way to fully explain my issues, but I shall type here just the relevant portion of the four warning notices that I am getting on my desktop at startup as I don't immediately see any facility for attachments here.
They began around 2-3 weeks ago. All start with "An error has occurred in the script on this page".
Here are the messages then: 'jQuery' is undefined   |   'ane_ToolTip_Settings' is undefined   |   The value of the property '$' is null or undefined, not a Function object (This one occurs twice).
Each is then followed by a URL address and the message "Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?". My PC is only 7 weeks old and has been in use for less than that, whilst I was gathering up programs to migrate from my old PC.
Could anyone kindly advise me what is going on here please and perhaps how to rectify the issue? At the moment, I just dismiss the messages with a "No" and everything then seems to progress correctly. I am reasonably "tech savvy".
Thank you - eljay 71.

Best Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    if you don't need the Acer portal service (cloud storage), you can simply uninstall it.
    press windows logo + x keys
    choose Apps and Features
    then look for Acer portal, click it and uninstall it.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like Firefox is blocking jscript. The web pages are local, as in on your computer. You have the latest version of Firefox, so lets check to see if java has been disabled. Put about:config in the address bar and tell it you want to continue. Then scroll down to the javascript.enabled entry. Is it true or false? Finally, the addresses you posted are a little scrambled, they should start with the file: parameter as in:

file:///C:/Program%20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%20Portal/html/portal/js/prtalmain.js

That one points to the hidden directory in your Program Files called WindowsApps where the types of programs that come from the Windows Store reside. The app itself should have access there even if your user doesn't.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options
    can you report the URL?
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, those types of errors are usually related to the web page you are visiting. The scripts are generated by the page and executed on your computer. Also, let us know the browser you are using and the version number on it.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • eljay71
    Options
    Thank you for your responses IronFly and Billsey.
    I am running Firefox Quantum 60.0.2 (64-bit).
    In the same order as I have listed the error messages, here are the URL's:

20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%file:///C:/Program%

20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%20Portal/html/portal/js/jquery-file:///C:/Program%

20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%20Portal/html/portal/js/prtalmain.jsfile:///C:/Program%

20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%20Portal/html/portal/js/prtalmain.jsfile:///C:/Program%

I'm toying with the idea that my Avira antivirus is not allowing the execution of JavaScript?

The underscoring is not my own but appears to be applied by this website.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options
    if you don't need the Acer portal service (cloud storage), you can simply uninstall it.
    press windows logo + x keys
    choose Apps and Features
    then look for Acer portal, click it and uninstall it.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Yes, it sounds like Firefox is blocking jscript. The web pages are local, as in on your computer. You have the latest version of Firefox, so lets check to see if java has been disabled. Put about:config in the address bar and tell it you want to continue. Then scroll down to the javascript.enabled entry. Is it true or false? Finally, the addresses you posted are a little scrambled, they should start with the file: parameter as in:

file:///C:/Program%20files/WindowsApps/AcerIncorporated.AcerPortal_1.1.9.0_x86__48frkmn4z8aw4/Acer%20Portal/html/portal/js/prtalmain.js

That one points to the hidden directory in your Program Files called WindowsApps where the types of programs that come from the Windows Store reside. The app itself should have access there even if your user doesn't.
  • eljay71
    Options
    Thank you very much for your assistance IronFly and billsey - error messages now gone.
    Of the two options you suggested, I chose to uninstall the Acer portal service, as I have no use for that facility.
    Your time and expertise is much appreciated - thank you once again.